Homegrown Burley 64?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Where does the bullshit come from where anyone would prefer to buy corporate tobacco, especially cheap ass drug store aromatics, over homegrown? Pathetic.
What restaurant makes a meal better than home cooked? What corporate beer tastes better than homemade beer? Everything homemade tastes better than the Corporate (save money everywhere they can) brands.

There is no rocket science involved, very little math, the hardest part of curing and making your own blend is time and patience.
I've sent my own blends to several friends on here. There's a certain sense of accomplishment that you get from waiting out the cures and smoking your own.

And, I have 50X'ds more respect for someone who gives it a try, over someone who just hoots and howl the cheapest cherry flavored swill on the market.

I got my seeds too late, but will have some next year for sure. Hell, I may try to plant just a few and see what happens!
You're in NC... You have enough time. In Alabama, I can grown two crops. You will just use the bottom half of the plants anyways. The tops section is just way too strong for pipes and harsh on the throat.

• Love
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Pinch out the center stem of young plants to encourage a bushy growth?
Is that what you mean?
No! Don’t touch the growth tip/whatever it’s called - sorry slow brain this morning.
What you want to do is clip up to 2/3rds off each of the larger leaves. This will encourage stronger stalk growth prior to transplanting, and can also mean you can leave your plants in their punnets a bit longer which will hopefully result in less pest damage (nicotine which is a natural insecticide doesn’t appear in the plants until they are 8 weeks old)

36438CB6-ACD2-4843-821B-A70F46429208.jpeg

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Hey now... I love me some really strong blends... but I prefer not to have my throat ripped out in the process. puffy
I’m gonna side step all the deep throat jokes and ask a growing question. I can’t remember but do you air cure or flue cure your crop? Or a mixture? Only reason is that I don’t find the tops to be overwhelming at all. Wondering if it has to do with variety or a difference in curing method? I’m predominantly stalk plants and air cure whole

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
I’m gonna side step all the deep throat jokes and ask a growing question. I can’t remember but do you air cure or flue cure your crop? Or a mixture? Only reason is that I don’t find the tops to be overwhelming at all. Wondering if it has to do with variety or a difference in curing method? I’m predominantly stalk plants and air cure whole
Could be the variety. I never even cured or flue cured the tops of the bright leaf varieties. The air cured burleys at the top were just harsh to smoke. Maybe a few more years of aging, but the flavors just didn't make me feel like they were worth it. Besides... I had a ton of tobacco. I saw no need in trying to find a use for every little crap.

aha…that’s right you don’t live in NZ 😂

Curing burleys though, do you stalk or prime?
I never stalked. The Canadian tobacco grower we used to have on here was always telling me that it was easier. But, once I have a method down, I don't like to vary it. It just makes more sense to me to pick them as they turn. Plus it takes the cure so well that way.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I prime for sun curing, but I have been stalking for everything else. I think your method is probably better, and as soon as you have more than a dozen plants much more manageable. I wonder if however, by hanging stalked burley it gives the top leaf the time needed to lose that extra harshness.

When you get around to growing goose creek red, leave the tips on and try. I think they add a something to the flavour spectrum

Homer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2020
Finland
No! Don’t touch the growth tip/whatever it’s called - sorry slow brain this morning.
What you want to do is clip up to 2/3rds off each of the larger leaves. This will encourage stronger stalk growth prior to transplanting, and can also mean you can leave your plants in their punnets a bit longer which will hopefully result in less pest damage (nicotine which is a natural insecticide doesn’t appear in the plants until they are 8 weeks old)

View attachment 211201
OK. Thank you.
I try not to kill all my plants at the same time:)