PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I’m assuming you must not enjoy latakia, because the Highlander is an absolutely outstanding blend, regardless of it being part of this series.

BTW, how many blends do you now have, because I’ve heard conflicting information about just how many blends are in the series? I have 8, but that includes YH. I’ve been assuming I’m missing a few.

Reactions: vosBghos

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I’m assuming you must not enjoy latakia, because the Highlander is an absolutely outstanding blend, regardless of it being part of this series.

BTW, how many blends do you now have, because I’ve heard conflicting information about just how many blends are in the series? I have 8, but that includes YH. I’ve been assuming I’m missing a few.
I have 7 I'm only basing this information on what is listed when you look them up on TR

So with Highlander it makes 8 total I saw 2 today I hadn't seen before and just went for it treating the old McClellands like Pokemon (gotta catch em all)

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
I was smoking pipes when it was readily available, but never picked any up.

Now that they are extinct, I can't bring myself to buy them at the aftermarket high prices. Wish I could though, as I imagine they are great.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I can remember when Mike McNeil brought the Grand Orientals down to the KC pipe club for a trial run prior to releasing them to the general public. I didn't care for them too much, but a lot of the members were pretty excited about them.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I can remember when Mike McNeil brought the Grand Orientals down to the KC pipe club for a trial run prior to releasing them to the general public. I didn't care for them too much, but a lot of the members were pretty excited about them.
I'm sure they probably work well together in Englishes with the Latakia but I figure If anything I'll have a better idea of what the semi-isolated Orientals taste like and I'll have plenty of McClelland VA ta boot, win win !!!

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I enjoyed the 3 or so I had in the past, drama reserve, yenidje supreme, smyrna no. 1. I liked the little whole leaf on top of the mix too, cant remember if that was all of them. Mcclellands blends, including these ones, were what really first clued me into the fact that I particularly like oriental leaf.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

fightnhampster

Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
If anyone has extra and wants to sell single tins at a reasonable price or trade for something, PM me. I know its a long shot. 😊

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
If anyone’s interested, it appears that there are just eight blends in the Grand Orientals series:

Black Sea Sokhoum
Classic Samsun
Drama Reserve
Katerini Classic
Smyrna No. 1
Yenice Agonya
Yenidje Highlander (the only blend in the series with latakia)
Yenidje Supreme

@fightnhampster: I’d love to help you out, but, as a writer, I can’t get over you spelling hamster with a “p.” ;)

• Haha

fightnhampster

Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
If anyone’s interested, it appears that there are just eight blends in the Grand Orientals series:

Black Sea Sokhoum
Classic Samsun
Drama Reserve
Katerini Classic
Smyrna No. 1
Yenice Agonya
Yenidje Highlander (the only blend in the series with latakia)
Yenidje Supreme

@fightnhampster: I’d love to help you out, but, as a writer, I can’t get over you spelling hamster with a “p.” ;)
HA! The funny thing is, that is my old fantasy baseball team name from 20 years ago.

I was in a hurry to come up with one and I accidentally misspelled it. Since then it became such a joke with my buddies that I just kept it.😄

• Love

fightnhampster

Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
Keeping in mind that McC blends were absolutely unique, is anyone aware of a series that does something similar? Highlights one type of leaf?

For example, Russ O. Put out the fabulous Golden Triangle series that highlighted perique from different growing regions. I was able to get some of those and they are awesome. Love the concept.

pp-gtasst01-1000.jpeg.jpg

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Keeping in mind that McC blends were absolutely unique, is anyone aware of a series that does something similar? Highlights one type of leaf?

For example, Russ O. Put out the fabulous Golden Triangle series that highlighted perique from different growing regions. I was able to get some of those and they are awesome. Love the concept.

View attachment 210903
Unfortunately, I think the only one I have any experience with is the range of GL Pease blends that came out in 2004 and explored the use of an incredible Syrian latakia crop through a number of different blends, including: Mephisto, Raven’s Wing, Renaissance, and Bohemian Scandal. This was a Syrian unlike any other I’ve had the privilege to smoke either before or after; it was absolutely amazing and delicious. (If you’ve never had Syrian, it’s quite different than Cypriot latakia, with a delicate floral/incense quality.)

If you’re not aware, Pease’s entire warehoused supply of this Syrian latakia was lost in a fire at C&D in 2004, which makes those original blends extremely difficult to find now. And given how delicate and nuanced that Syrian was, I’m not sure it would deliver anything like the same experience after 20 years in the tin.

Of course, Greg was not the only buyer of this great Syrian vintage. But of the others I’ve sampled, only C&D’s Longevity (created by William Serad) really delivered on that leaf’s promise (for me!). Again, though…long gone.

• Sad
Reactions: fightnhampster