PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

RonM

Lurker
Mar 6, 2023
This question has probably been asked here before, but I'll ask it again since I'm new. Does anyone know of people -- or have you ever heard of anyone -- who doesn't smoke pipes but just collects them? I ask because pipes can be real works of art, not all but many are. I can see where some might just like them on the shelf or in a cabinet as display pieces in a man cave or whatever. I, in fact, have a few pipes that have never been smoked and probably never will be. Anyway, just a question that comes to mind sometimes as I'm looking at my pipes deciding which one to use.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I've seen pictures of some fantastic carved meerschaum collections, all unsmoked and in lighted curio cabinets. I think he may have been a forum member here, many moons ago.........

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Actually, over time a few members have said they were collectors but not smokers. None have hung around for a long time, maybe because a lot of the conversation here is also about tobacco blends and brands. But non-smoking pipe collectors are definitely a "thing," and probably there are quite a few out there.

Some members who do smoke also have pipes that they keep for their value as art and don't smoke, or for their historical interest or provenance. Several pipes that are smoked and are listed in WAYS threads have belonged to celebrities, which is another kind of collection.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Yes. One. Met him 20ish years ago @ the Chicago show. Only purchased high end pipes. Someone will get to them someday. I have unsmoked ones as well...maybe I'll get to them someday. Some are all one of a kind; from artisan carvers no longer with us that did a handful of similar ones like Rolando's whale.

Reactions: SBC and Briar Tuck

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Yes. One. Met him 20ish years ago @ the Chicago show. Only purchased high end pipes. Someone will get to them someday. I have unsmoked ones as well...maybe I'll get to them someday. Some are all one of a kind; from artisan carvers no longer with us that did a handful of similar ones like Rolando's whale.
Goofed on that post. Some of my unsmoked pipes are one of a kind. The others not common but not one of a kind. Like Rolando's whale...he made probably more than a few of those.