PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
No doubt our military could deal with the cartels, once you get beyond issues related to invading a friendly foreign country. The problem is establishing the right conditions to ensure that they don't reappear again. And they will come back as long as the demand for their products remains unabated. One of the lessons from the second Iraq war was that having a good plan for peace is more important than having a good plan for war.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Someone might have felt guilty temporarily, but mostly it sounds like a tactic to fend off retribution. A better apology would be to get out of the illicit drug business, but as long as the revenue stream is there, many will step up to lead or participate, even if others attempt to cease and desist. It's not easy to get out of the business unless you relocate to the northerly Scottish islands or somewhere else remote. Safety is unsure.

And it could be an effort to repair the image for those seeking medical care across the border where the cartel(s) may have an interest in some of the clinics as a side hustle and to launder money. Not much happens without corruption.

Sending military into a neighboring country is totally fraught, always, but more so right now. The civilian toll would be huge in those crowded poor areas.

Last edited:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Personally I believe in the idea of harm reduction. Which is the idea that people are going to do things like smoke, drink, eat crap, hook up with strangers, and other things we're not supposed to talk about here (rightfully so in general). Because first they're going to since you can't just change human nature because you don't like it. So the better option then doing the impossible and making a larger mess with more bodies and lives being ruined, would be to let people do what they do and make it as safer or at least inform them about the dangers and how to minimize them. One example would be giving people the actual risks of different tobacco products and still letting them choose how and if they consume them while regulating what kind of things can be added to them and things like age limits. One thing though that isn't an opinion is that if you criminalize something that people will pay a huge mark up on it will do the opposite of stopping production but encourage the opposite. Who wouldn't want to sell something that the profit margin is so insanely high (look at the resell market on hard to find blends) someone is going to be encouraged to sell it. And as an added bonus it's more likely to be unscrupulous people instead of just people with an interest.
I think the cartels in a large and key part are not only created but funded and supplied by the prohibition of drugs.
And not only all that stuff but also shouldn't people be able to make they're own bad choices? So in other words I think we're going to have cartels or basically the same as long as we continue to follow the same ineffective policies that make a bad situation into a complete cluster funk of a nightmare instead. And the genie is already out of the bottle with the cartel but we don't have to create a situation that gives them the kind of funding that allows them to be paramilitary and a law unto themselves.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
one thing I find funny about scum is that they can still have a moral compass. Often it's a highly perplexing moral compass that seems more about helping them sleep at night and not go jump off a bridge.
I guess it's possible the apology could be genuine. I wouldn't bet any money on it. But it's not like totally impossible.
Side note for a moment I thought some cartel was going to apologize for everything and get into the ice cream business or something.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
In case some folks don’t know what this post is about, four black Americans went to Matamoros, Mexico for one of them to get cheap cosmetic surgery.

Somehow, five local cartel members mistook them for Haitian drug smugglers and kidnapped them, murdered two, and left two alive to tell the story.

The cartels are like the old time mafia was in the United States was years ago. Nobody cares much if they murder each other or if they murder Haitians. Murder Americans, and heat gets put on for the Mexican government to suppress the cartels.

I guess I’m old fashioned, but all my life I’ve been aware to not go to a Mexican border town.

It’s dangerous in Matamoros. I have no idea why any American would visit the place.

Billy Walker had a song out when I was a child about the dangers of Matamoros.

When you cross the border you’re outside of the protection of the law of the United States.

Stay home, or risk all the dangers of a border town.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
It’s dangerous in Matamoros. I have no idea why any American would visit the place.

Billy Walker had a song out when I was a child about the dangers of Matamoros.

When you cross the border you’re outside of the protection of the law of the United States.

Stay home, or risk all the dangers of a border town.
Indeed. Mexico is a dangerous place in general, the border towns are particularly bad, and Matamoros is one of the worst. These aren't the first Americans to be murdered there.

I used to head down to Mexico regularly for fishing for years when I lived in SoCal. I doubt I'll ever return.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Mexico is a sovereign nation.

The USA isn’t going to invade Mexico and clean up the cartels. Besides the Posse Comitatas Act forbids our military from enforcing domestic law, much less enforcing laws in Mexico. Every lawyer in the United States was taught that in law school.

And it’s doubtful Mexico will want any help from USA law enforcement to battle the cartels. Can you imagine the howl if we lost just one American cop to a gun battle?

The best solution is for Americans to realize Mexico is not safe, never was safe, and may not ever be safe.

Visit Canada.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
America has waged a 47 year War-On-Drugs and we can’t even keep drugs out of Our Prisons. So you think 🤔 we can stop this “militarily?”

A Bull stands a greater chance of keeping the gnats from his eyes by swishing its tail.
We haven't waged shit. Should we choose to do so and were committed, we could virtually eliminate drugs at the source. To much politics, too much graft, too much money and too much corruption. The CIA would actually have to seek government funding if drugs were eliminated.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Mexico is a sovereign nation.

The USA isn’t going to invade Mexico and clean up the cartels. Besides the Posse Comitatas Act forbids our military from enforcing domestic law, much less enforcing laws in Mexico. Every lawyer in the United States was taught that in law school.

And it’s doubtful Mexico will want any help from USA law enforcement to battle the cartels. Can you imagine the howl if we lost just one American cop to a gun battle?

The best solution is for Americans to realize Mexico is not safe, never was safe, and may not ever be safe.

Visit Canada.
Scary thing is, he didn't go to law school. Last time when a country killed US citizen, he dropped MOAB.

Status
Not open for further replies.