PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Yadkin1765

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2022
Maine
Where are you in NC? We still produce acreage on the family farm; depending on the timing, I probably could get you a tour of the sityeeashun. Best to visit near bloom and harvest (depends on the drought/rain), the fragrance in the air is pure, mellowing, sweet ambrosia. Of course, I live in Maine, so I could only guarantee safe passage from afar.

Yadkin1765

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2022
Maine
Thank you for your candor. I’d just be happy to see a tobacco field and look at the finished products in the storage rooms. You must have an interesting and demanding job. Thank you.
They used to give guys a job back in the day at Wachovia bank when it was based in Winston-Salem solely on a resume of having grown up working in the tobacco fields—and, of course, apparent common sense.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Thank you for your candor. I’d just be happy to see a tobacco field and look at the finished products in the storage rooms. You must have an interesting and demanding job. Thank you.

Had a cool experience a couple summers ago when I was running a survey next to a Burley field and kept smelling barbecue. Eventually, we came to a flatbed trailer - just brought out to the field - loaded with the hickory sticks they tie the tobacco to for dark firing. I leaned over, took a big ole whiff, and can still smell the stuff when I think about it!

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
S
Where are you in NC? We still produce acreage on the family farm; depending on the timing, I probably could get you a tour of the sityeeashun. Best to visit near bloom and harvest (depends on the drought/rain), the fragrance in the air is pure, mellowing, sweet ambrosia. Of course, I live in Maine, so I could only guarantee safe passage from afar.
South of Raleigh. I’d love to visit. Thank you for your graciousness.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
Had a cool experience a couple summers ago when I was running a survey next to a Burley field and kept smelling barbecue. Eventually, we came to a flatbed trailer - just brought out to the field - loaded with the hickory sticks they tie the tobacco to for dark firing. I leaned over, took a big ole whiff, and can still smell the stuff when I think about it!
That’s awesome! I can imagine the scent.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

btsteve

Might Stick Around
Nov 4, 2015
Sellersburg, Indiana
If you want to see how Kentucky Dark fired is done. Drew Estate has a barnsmoker cigar event in Kentucky and they go through the process. It is a cigar event but you eat lunch in the barn with tobacco overhead and they take you into a barn where they are actually smoking the dark fired.