PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
Is Ali Express a decent legitimate website?

Reason for asking is I ordered a Jinhao 82 fountain pen from ebay for less than £6. Bargain I thought.

On Ali Express it claims I can buy it for £0.08 and free shipping.

A few years ago, my daughters were getting packages left and right with all sorts of clothes. I asked and they assured me that these shirts, pants, shoes, etc... were costing them only a few pennies a piece. Turns out they were using Ali Express. They were not the best quality, but for a bunch of girls, they were definitely stylish.

My understanding is that Ali Express is the Amazon of the Eastern nations, China, Japan, India, etc...

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
A few years ago, my daughters were getting packages left and right with all sorts of clothes. I asked and they assured me that these shirts, pants, shoes, etc... were costing them only a few pennies a piece. Turns out they were using Ali Express. They were not the best quality, but for a bunch of girls, they were definitely stylish.

My understanding is that Ali Express is the Amazon of the Eastern nations, China, Japan, India, etc...
yes. And the one extra complication is economy. Sometimes it's cheaper because running an operation out of certain areas is just cheaper. Sometimes it's cheaper because well it's a cheaper piece of garbage. One tobacco example is how cheap nasal snuff from India are even though their facilities are often more state of the art and hygienic and tested and confirmed then many British facilities and half the German ones. It just costs less to do those things in India then to do the same else where. Creates a great deal for us. ISO at least in snuff can be important to look for (basically they're tested to make sure they confirm to a wide range of international standards).

Reactions: Al Gore Rhythm

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Hell, even Amazon, you can sometimes get screwed. And, places like Harbor Freight seem have made an industry out of selling tool shaped garbage. Guys who want something that looks like a drill press in their garage, but burns up the motor as soon as you run it once.
I noticed that guys with shops that have no signs of work seem to love Harbor Freight. Kind of how you can buy any Trophy you want.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Here’s my best Amazon story.

I ordered a box of trash bags. They sent me an Apple IPad Magic Keyboard.

The next day trash bags showed up.

A couple days later I get a refund for the price of the keyboard. I try to resolve it online. No go. So I call.

That got me another refund for the keyboard.

I sent it back. That got me another refund.

So, if you’re keeping score, that’s a keyboard I never ordered that was refunded three times.

I stopped trying and caring.

Then about a month after all that nonsense, I get a box from Amazon. It’s from the seller. They don’t accept returns.

So I ended up with a keyboard and three refunds.

A couple days later I get a refund for the price of the keyboard. I try to resolve it online. No go. So I call.

So, if you’re keeping score, that’s a keyboard I never ordered that was refunded three times.

Then about a month after all that nonsense, I get a box from Amazon. It’s from the seller. They don’t accept returns.

Something similar happen to me with bluetooth earbuds. I calculated that I made $120 off of those things, and I still have three sets of them in a drawer.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Thanks for the advice. The last thing I would want is a Jinhao knockoff 😊
one rule of thumb I use when unsure is. How upset would I be if it's not what I was hoped it would be. Is that price worth a bet or not. Example if someone was selling a tin of pipe tobacco for ten cents I wouldn't be upset if it had turned into a moldy mess or dust.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019

There is some evidence that Amazon did things like this on purpose. Forcing a positive experience on the buyer. And when you compare it to the price of advertising and the fact you're still talking about it, it suddenly seems plausible if unlikely.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011

It's all penny goods from the same slave factories, but the Amazon mark up is so Bezos can do things like buy the WA Post and take rocket trips.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Is Ali Express a decent legitimate website?
Yes it is a legitimate website.

I've actually ordered quite a bit from them over the years. The only issue is not receiving my order and having to request my money back. I've not had an issue getting a refund but if I don't pursue a refund I wouldn't get one.

Shipping can also take a long time but not always.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I tried ordering from Ali but never got to pull the trigger on the transaction due to technical difficulties (which I believe were on their end, but I've been wrong before).

The attempt was made several times until I decided the universe was trying to tell me something.

Reactions: shanez and brian64