PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
Despite your sophomoric attempt at an insult and your insistence ... No, you shared no thought. You simply suggested that I look up an individual on YouTube, one whom I had just said I found difficult to watch. And I was not attempting to keep anyone "In Check" ... simply stating that I found the individual of discussion difficult to listen to/watch ... Please, don't be an ass ... I am well practiced in that art and we need not such banter in the forum.

I know your a self centered narcissist but your first mistake is thinking my comment was for you. It was for the beginner Samuel Perez who started this message. I guess because my message followed your message you arrogantly thought I was talking to you. I only read the originators inquiry and responded with my opinion as I was a beginner a year ago. I don’t care about your opinion or anyone else’s. If I wanted to speak to you I would have replied directly to you like I am doing now. Stop being a self centered narcissist thinking everyone is clinging to your message and next time you won’t look an azz attacking an innocent person for giving a beginner their opinion.

Fo0zle

Lurker
Jan 22, 2023
Western N.C.
I would say then a pipe is the perfect remedy you need for life. I am guessing you are young enough to be part of the insta-generations. After internet and in full grasp of the consumer life?

A pipe will let you train your brain to slow down and think. Be contemplative and absorb things. Slow down and listen to things unheard and pay attention to them. Even give your brain time to work things out and make them logical to your way of thinking and make sense of what ever it is, rather than trying to untie how it was taught to you.

Now saying that the only recommendation I make is to make it a rule that you do not take your phone or any electrical device with you unless it is solely for music that is on the more mellower side. Something that may have a heart beat rhythm to it. Pick your genre but just keep it relaxing.
Ha man i feel just as contemplative smoking my pipe and listening to death metal, punk, electronic music, etc.

To each his own.

I’m with you on avoiding scrolling on Instagram or whatever.

Fo0zle

Lurker
Jan 22, 2023
Western N.C.
I kinda like the guy from Stuff and Things. He seems like a good, nice knowledgeable fellow. He's also very quirky, but in a good way.
+1 Stuff and Things. He’s one of the only guys on YouTube doing pipe content that doesn’t come across like an old stuffy preacher (some of them don’t just come across that way they literally are stuffy preachers)

Don’t get me started on the whole wannabe plantation owner “pipe smokers must dress proper, abstain from profanity, and be proper gentlemen” act by that Robert E Lee loving moron The Pipe Cottage rotf

I do quite like his fake Russell Edgington accent though 😆

When I first tried pipe smoking 10 years ago I enjoyed Jayson Dagner’s videos. I recently got back into it and revisited his old beginner’s guide. I found it to be the most helpful of all the beginners guides I’ve seen on YouTube in that it gave you what you actually need to know and left out all of the prescriptive nonsense that most other YouTube pipe guys will say you HAVE TO DO OR ELSE

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I do quite like his fake Russell Edgington accent though 😆
Okay,... you got my attention. When I was a professor, I had this group of older ladies in the class who just loved "True Blood." It turns out I can reproduce his vocal mannerisms quite well. I would do a good part of my lectures using his intonations just to amuse them and keep them interested in the material. But, wow, that brings back memories.

To everyone here, all I have to say is, "Pie-ps are (all) for Pueh-sies."

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Muttn's too much like many of the preachy other ones. He'll tell you how you're supposed to be if you're a pipe smoker and has this my way or the highway take on things. I'm surprised he hasn't burned a hole in his pipes and tongue the way he chugs those things.

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Muttn's too much like many of the preachy other ones. He'll tell you how you're supposed to be if you're a pipe smoker and has this my way or the highway take on things. I'm surprised he hasn't burned a hole in his pipes and tongue the way he chugs those things.
I think with videos like these, there’s an assumed “in my opinion” that exists as an unwritten, unspoken more of YouTube viewing. We all know these are opinions. I don’t think pipe presenters need to repeat the phrase “in my opinion” every single time they make a statement. I understand that there is body language and tone of voice that also conveys a sense of “I’m right about this and others are wrong” but I I think that needs to be seen through to glean the useful information.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I think with videos like these, there’s an assumed “in my opinion” that exists as an unwritten, unspoken more of YouTube viewing. We all know these are opinions. I don’t think pipe presenters need to repeat the phrase “in my opinion” every single time they make a statement. I understand that there is body language and tone of voice that also conveys a sense of “I’m right about this and others are wrong” but I I think that needs to be seen through to glean the useful information.
His replies in the comments and his tone convey it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.