PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
C&D hasn't been in North Carolina for years. It was bought by Laudisi and is now located in S.C. along with the SP online facility and pipe shop in the Myrtle Beach area. Off-season beach hotels or larger cottage rentals might accommodate a retreat. That could be a site for a retreat with a lot of advance planning. I'm not a candidate to attend because of caretaker duties at home, but I'm interested in the idea.

S.C. would be a good venue on the countryside. If an urban setting would interest people, Chicago's O'Hare airport is surrounded by huge hotels that might accommodate such an event, and these are on the commuter rail line that runs downtown to the vicinity of Iwan Ries. This would be more expensive, but might benefit from group rates.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Tampa, FL. Edwards Cigar has hosted our group numerous times. There's numerous cigar bars in Ybor City. Plenty of nice restaurants.

Birmingham, AL has Cigars and More which has a very large, nice smoking lounge and The Briar which has a decent smoking lounge and excellent pipe and tobacco selection.

Raleigh, NC has a nice shop in Apex with large smoking lounge and Havana Deluxe in Raleigh is a nice cigar bar.

All three would work, I think Tampa would be best due to the cigar bars and good restaurants in Ybor City.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I would be down in the future for sure. I’m in the midst of getting a new business going smoothly and can’t afford the time spent away from that right now. Y’all enjoy yourselves though!

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
If you go the Low Country route, you could throw in a Cornell and Diehl factory tour. I'm not sure about any other storied Tobacconists in the immediate area, but McCranies would be about a 3.75hr drive from Myrtle Beach. That would put you in Charlotte, so it wouldn't be too hard to make it a worthwhile day trip, or change hotels and stay the night with flights out of Charlotte Douglas Airport the following morning?
I agree about Myrtle Beach. I was there last year and they had a car show in the parking lot of Broadway at the Beach. Which is close to The Tinderbox, White Ash Cigar, Smoking Pipes/Low Country and a few others. Broadway at the Beach has a multitude of restaurants. I took a picture of the car show as we drove past. It was in the southern parking lot. Hope it helps 7AEFACE3-1815-4591-9FDB-08D2EC0B357E.jpeg

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
If you go the Low Country route, you could throw in a Cornell and Diehl factory tour. I'm not sure about any other storied Tobacconists in the immediate area, but McCranies would be about a 3.75hr drive from Myrtle Beach. That would put you in Charlotte, so it wouldn't be too hard to make it a worthwhile day trip, or change hotels and stay the night with flights out of Charlotte Douglas Airport the following morning?
Funny you should mention a tobacco tour. I just posted about tobacco tours.

A bump for your thread, and some thoughts on meeting forum members…

Over the years I have driven and flown to meet with friends from here, and I encourage people to do this. Personalities from behind a keyboard are so much different from meeting them in real life.

I just wish there was an easier way to include some of our Ozzy and Kiwi friends. They seem to have so much personality. It was be neat to compare the real persons to their keyboard personalities.

And, some forum members type in a way that in all of my life, I’ve never heard someone speak. :::cough cough::: Humansville…

Plus, in person, I can unload some of my wines and some of my homegrown tobaccos on you guys, without violating laws.

Anyways, bump de bump

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
A bump for your thread, and some thoughts on meeting forum members…

Over the years I have driven and flown to meet with friends from here, and I encourage people to do this. Personalities from behind a keyboard are so much different from meeting them in real life.

I just wish there was an easier way to include some of our Ozzy and Kiwi friends. They seem to have so much personality. It was be neat to compare the real persons to their keyboard personalities.

And, some forum members type in a way that in all of my life, I’ve never heard someone speak. :::cough cough::: Humansville…

Plus, in person, I can unload some of my wines and some of my homegrown tobaccos on you guys, without violating laws.

Anyways, bump de bump
Trading is legal, selling would not be for us. So have an understood small equal packaging amounts. This way we could have a legitimate “trade smoke” show and smell. Instead of giving out items we could trade small packs for items we’ve never smoked. Just a thought.

Trading is legal, selling would not be for us. So have an understood small equal packaging amounts. This way we could have a legitimate “trade smoke” show and smell. Instead of giving out items we could trade small packs for items we’ve never smoked. Just a thought.
Actually, with tobacco, the laws are tighter than we can decipher amongst ourselves, on state, FDA, ATF, and fed levels. Wine is a little more lax, as I have a license in state, but shipping from my state is the biggest problem.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I talked with the folks at my B&M last night. They, and other tobacconists, occasionally host cigar dinners at local restaurants. Around Chicago, one of their preferred partners for this is the Drake Hotel in Oak Brook. Who will, in season, allow cigar smoking on their patios and outdoor spaces.

So there's a likelihood that they could be housing and at least one nice meal. Also relatively easy path to Iwan Ries one day and Arlington Pipe and Cigar another.

All that being said, I would rather leave town and share a rented lodge with a handful of you in a prettier place than the suburbs of the city I've spent most of my life in.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I don't disagree. However, this is a different sort of trip with a different focus.

Regardless, the takeaway was that y'all can check with your local B&M's on the cigar dinner angle, which may lead us to a nice place to get together and/or stay at.
There are multiple cigar bars in Ybor City that serve alcohol and food and are within ten to fifteen minutes of Edwards.