Van Hoople, the Artist. What Do You Know?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Here is all I know about him: Van Hoople was born in Chicago in 1934. He studied fine arts at the University of Texas. Later, he attended the ArtCenter in Los Angeles, California. Van Hoople did his apprenticeship at Cecil B. DeMille's art director Mr. P. T. Blackburn at Paramount Studios in Hollywood, California. He also worked as a set designer there. Beginning in 1957, he had an exclusive contract with a gallery, Hillside: House of Originals, the proprietor of which was LeRoy Benjamin. His works are markedly mid-century.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

telescopes

I think Motley Crue mentions him in their song “Poison Apples” from their self-titled album with John Corabi.

So all I’ve got is an obscure reference to an obscure lyric from a filler song off an obscure album from an out-dated band. 😜
Close - "Still we love our Mott The Hoople".

All the Young Dudes, loved Van Hoople, LOL.

I am thinking @sablebrush52 may know something about him. Hopefully.

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
My first thought was Mott The Hoople

Mine was Major Hoople
iu

telescopes

When I google "Tiki Artist" I get pictures that look like you'd find in a Tiki Bar, Hawaiian-esque.
View attachment 197034

But, when I google Van Hoople, I see these earth toned surrealist, cubistic works, with a mix of stains and impasto brushwork.
View attachment 197033

View attachment 197035

So... was there another Van Hoople that made Tiki Bar decorations?
The overlap is the Witco and Conquistador Modern connection - it's a funky part of the tiki movement. Think Elvis's Jungle Room. Amongst tiki enthusiast, especially. those who studied the era twenty years ago, Witco contributed much to it and was considered a supportive sub genre.

Reactions: anotherbob

telescopes

Sven Kirsten, in his follow up to The Book of Tiki, wrote Tiki Modern and the Wild World of Witco, is greatly responsible for connecting the two genres. To be clear, Tiki overlaps with many genres, but Witco is one of the most loved overlaps.

@cosmicfolklore , that was a great catch and question. So... why did I ask the question?

During my rowdy days of chasing Tiki, I noticed that Van Hoople paintings were starting to catch on and find an audience. Everyone has seen them or seen something like them. Van Hoople has slowly begun to find an audience and his paintings are going up in value. In the past, you could find them in the trash or at a yard sale for five dollars. Long story short, our vacation condominium is decorated in what one might either call Moroccan Bohemian or Bohemian International. It's more Moroccan if you ask me... And we are looking for a painting to put across the fire place. I came across a good deal for two matching Van Hooples and I realized I really don't know much about the guy other than what I previously stated. I think his conquistador mid-century modern paintings would work well with the kitchy Moroccan/Spanish/Bohemian themed condominium.

I hope some of our artist on the boards might be familiar with either him or the overlapping genres his painting are representative.

Zack Miller

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
On a related Tiki note is the art of Edgar Leeteg. Apparently he popularized the genre of velvet painting while living in Tahiti. James Michener included a chapter on him in his book Rascals in Paradise which is an anthology of various rogues who succumbed to the call of the South Pacific. Sounds like he would compare favorably with Hoople.

Leeteg's best work was done between the years 1938 and 1953. He lived in Cook's Bay (Paopao), Moorea, using exotic women of the island as his models that he would find in the bars of Papeete, such as Quinn's Tahitian Hut. His main subject was beautiful Polynesian women, and he painted them amidst their background, their culture and their history. The eroticism, color and detail of these paintings made him famous.[5]

Leeteg's popularity soared following a fortunate meeting with Honolulu art gallery owner Barney Davis, who became his agent. It was with Davis' help that Leeteg built his great Villa Velour estate in Moorea.[6] Davis worked as Leeteg's agent and they had a fruitful and profitable relationship together. His paintings were popular in bars in America and Polynesia.

Reactions: telescopes
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
The palette and textures used in Van Hoople's painting feel very familiar to me—I remember seeing stuff in the late '60s or early '70s, perhaps in homes I visited, that had the same feel, but, I can't say I recall his specific name or signature. Wish I could help.

I think the color in the paintings is a throw back to analytical cubism. Doing so in the 60's was sort of being retro for the time.
1674655322158.png

It's interesting how Witco, or (Western International Trading Co) corporate import art has caught on as collectible. I wonder if Hobby Lobby art will become a collectible commodity in the future. People auctioning off cows with cute sayings under them at Sotheby's.
I don't mean to demean your area of art, but it is fascinating. I had no idea about this genre. I mean, I knew about Tiki stuff. We have a whole collection of tiki mugs that my wife collects. And, I have a friend who collects interesting black velvet art. Not the dime store stuff Elvis or bull fighters, but the ones where someone actually tried to get creative with the medium. But, I had never thought of Tiki as an actual genre of art.

Reactions: TheIronMonkey

telescopes

I think the color in the paintings is a throw back to analytical cubism. Doing so in the 60's was sort of being retro for the time.
View attachment 197218

It's interesting how Witco, or (Western International Trading Co) corporate import art has caught on as collectible. I wonder if Hobby Lobby art will become a collectible commodity in the future. People auctioning off cows with cute sayings under them at Sotheby's.
I don't mean to demean your area of art, but it is fascinating. I had no idea about this genre. I mean, I knew about Tiki stuff. We have a whole collection of tiki mugs that my wife collects. And, I have a friend who collects interesting black velvet art. Not the dime store stuff Elvis or bull fighters, but the ones where someone actually tried to get creative with the medium. But, I had never thought of Tiki as an actual genre of art.
In SoCal, many people who came out of the Punk Music movement of the 80s and 90s were attracted to Low Brow art. Tiki, Witco, Googie style buildings, etc were all a fascination for them. Oceanic Arts was like heaven, a one stop shop. Thank you for your take on Van Hoople. I appreciate it very much. Now clown tiki art. I can't stand that stuff. I guess I am in the retro world of low brow.

In SoCal, many people who came out of the Punk Music movement of the 80s and 90s
That is everywhere. We have a gallery dedicated to punk-esque throwbacks. There are also lots of artists scattered about that buy these Bob Ross student landscape paintings from thrift stores and painting in these weird robots or Sponge Bobs into them.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
View attachment 197218

Reminds me of an artist I used to collect, David Welker. He paints an array of styles and occasionally does similar to what you've shown.Welker-Mind_Excavation_WEB_b3880077-ffbb-436a-8695-c0f17b144218_1024x1024.png

I prefer his other styles, but still dig the abstract nonetheless.
s-l500.jpg
d1e752f1e775a70d3825c580629cbd99.jpg

To stay on topic, Tiki is new to me. Kinda cool

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

telescopes

Reactions: AppalachianPipe92