PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The first two are great. Coming out in '79 and '81 they marked the end of an awakening cycle (for those familiar with the 4th turning stuff) which is reflected in the pop culture with these types of films. The '70s were the golden age of satire, existentialism, and just general deep questioning of official narratives. We're in a crisis cycle now which is mostly the opposite of that, which is why we get the endless superhero movies.

The third one nobody saw, so only nobody is qualified to comment on it.

Jan 27, 2020
First, how would one know that other bob’s favorite movies? Second, why?

Why what?

I agree about Being There. It's one of the few movies I've watched multiple times and for that matter think that it deserves to be watched at least once a year.

Dinner with Andre through should be a once in a life time viewing experience much like the Halle Bop comet.

Jan 27, 2020
Yes, you are. I think you'd like Being There. Dinner with Andre, not so much.

I agree. Being There can be experienced as something that is simply entertaining. @ashdigger Have you seen The Party? Peter Seller's mid-life comedy works on so many levels but it doesn't mean you have to be on every level to enjoy them.

Reactions: kcghost
Jan 27, 2020
Birdie num num

I forgot that particular line somehow but just reading it now I felt flush with some inner smile forming. Great thing about The Party because it has no plot it feel like a non-linear experience watching it. Sort of hard to explain. It also gives me the sensation of playing that boardgame Mouse Trap. The only other film I can think of that gives a similar experience is Tati's Playtime.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I agree. Being There can be experienced as something that is simply entertaining. @ashdigger Have you seen The Party? Peter Seller's mid-life comedy works on so many levels but it doesn't mean you have to be on every level to enjoy them.
Well, I’ve done my best. It’s just not my thing and I’ll leave it at that for the sake of decorum and the friendly spirit of Pipes Magazine.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I’ll cut to the chase, I’m not cultured enough to even figure out what these movies are about.
You don't need to know what they're about. There isn't any proof that the people who made them know what they're about. Though like all matters of taste you enjoy what you enjoy. I to personally to this day think caviar is a scam and that after dropping that kind of money on food no one wants to admit that it was gross.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
You don't need to know what they're about. There isn't any proof that the people who made them know what they're about. Though like all matters of taste you enjoy what you enjoy. I to personally to this day think caviar is a scam and that after dropping that kind of money on food no one wants to admit that it was gross.
I’d rather sit through a torture session involving bamboo, pliers and a hammer than sit through “artsy” movies.

I also think Jackson Pollack as well as Andy Warhol are zero talent hacks.

But hey, I dig out fires for a living, maybe conning rich people is easier.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Also you forgot the Phantasm series and yes all of them.
And the only movie I can think of that I would judge you for liking would be that darn Globalinks movie. Every time I warn someone about that movie and they check it out anyways I get the same apology. Which is "I thought you were a perv, but no the bad guys are exactly what you said they are."

Status
Not open for further replies.