PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Kingsley

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
PA
Hello everybody,

I just wanted to throw it out there that Savinelli’s 140th is fantastic.
Far and away one of the best tobaccos I’ve ever had in my five years of smoking.
It’s very, very possible it’s the best I’ve had.
I’m not here to stir up FOMO, instead to perhaps point newer members or those of whom, like me, thought it was sort of odd, and passed on it.
If you enjoy VA-based blends, you should really go for it.
When I first picked some up, I thought there was a good chance I’d hate it.
I despise dark fired tobacco or anything even cigar leaf adjacent, and the idea of wildflower and citrus essence on top of that certainly didn’t make me run for my wallet, but honestly, it’s so good. Every bit of it is as perfectly balanced as I’ve ever smoked and more. Each constituent tobacco is simply delicious. There is a lovely bit of smokiness, but it is not in your face at all, and to my palate, doesn’t have a cigar leaf taste whatsoever. The topping works just so damned well.
Honestly, this stuff actively pisses me off at how good it is. Understand, it’s not mind-blowing, it’s just really good, even fresh out the tin. Something I wish wasn’t such a rarity. Either way, if you have the means, go for it, it’s great.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Hello everybody,

Far and away one of the best tobaccos I’ve ever had in my five years of smoking.
I’m not here to stir up FOMO, instead to perhaps point newer members or those of whom, like me, thought it was sort of odd, and passed on it.
I despise dark fired tobacco or anything even cigar leaf adjacent, and the idea of wildflower and citrus essence on top of that certainly didn’t make me run for my wallet, but honestly, it’s so good. Every bit of it is as perfectly balanced as I’ve ever smoked and more. Each constituent tobacco is simply delicious. There is a lovely bit of smokiness, but it is not in your face at all, and to my palate, doesn’t have a cigar leaf taste whatsoever. The topping works just so damned well.
Honestly, this stuff actively pisses me off at how good it is. Understand, it’s not mind-blowing, it’s just really good, even fresh out the tin. Something I wish wasn’t such a rarity. Either way, if you have the means, go for it, it’s great.
It was discontinued up until just recently and if I remember correctly it's made by C&D.

VA_Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2022
Wisconsin
Hello everybody,

Ugh...I had convinced myself earlier today that I didn't NEED to try this. I think you just changed my mind - thanks! TAD is real 🤷

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
I had it in my cart yesterday but took it out before I placed my order. That wildflower in the description scared me off but now I’m having second thoughts!

Reactions: Kingsley

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Cough Cough earth to @JimInks come in please? LOL 😆

I see this listed with Bright VAs, and you mentioned to me before to stay away from Brights if sensitive to VA bite.

How does 140 fair for people VA PH sensitive?

Thanks 🙏

P.S. I don’t care for Cigar Notes in my pipe tobacco, how does this fair too, on the cigar flavor side?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012

I see this listed with Bright VAs, and you mentioned to me before to stay away from Brights if sensitive to VA bite.

Thanks 🙏

P.S. I don’t care for Cigar Notes in my pipe tobacco, how does this fair too, on the cigar flavor side?
I haven't tried any version since I reviewed the original production, so I have no way of knowing if anything has changed since then. Perhaps my review will give you some idea if nothing's been changed.

The red Virginias are mildly tangy, dark fruit sweet with earth, wood, and a touch of spice and bread. The bright Virginias have some tart and tangy citrus along with a little grass, though there is less of the latter aspect than expected. Both Virginias compete and complement each other. The dark fired florets from Italy add a little wood, earth, herbs, vegetation, lightly sweet and sourness, mild spice, a slight cigar note, and a rather obvious floral quality. The cigar florets are processed from dark fired Italian burley off cuts. Background support comes from the woody, buttery sweet and fairly sour, incense-like, herbal, earthy, lightly spicy, floral Orientals. The tangy citrus topping sports a mildly sweet richness, contrasted by the addition of the medium floral essence of wild flowers. The floralness of this blend creates a European feel to the very smooth, consistent flavor. It never weakens or gets harsh, and will not bite even if pushed. The toppings moderately tone down the tobaccos. The nic-hit is in the center of mild to medium. The strength is a couple of steps short of medium. The taste is at the medium threshold, mostly due to the addition of the wild flowers. Well blended and complex with some nuance, it burns cool and clean at a reasonable pace. Requires an average number of relights. Leaves very little dampness in the bowl. The after taste pleasantly lingers, and the room note is mildly sweet and floral. It’s close to an all day smoke for the experienced piper, and a good starter for those just exploring blends in this genre.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville

Thanks 🙏

I've smoked through a tin before and enjoyed it. For my personal chemistry it wasn't particularly bitey at all.
There aren't any cigar notes (at least I never really perceived any)- it doesn't contain cigar leaf as we know it. It's just a dark fired tobacco used in a particular type of Italian cigar. It's not heavy on the dark fired either, just lends notes of that smokey sweetness.