Metro-Detroit
Found a super meaty pork belly:

View attachment 194558

Cubed, seasoned, and heading to the smoker:

View attachment 194560

My not-so-homemade glaze ingredients:

View attachment 194562

Further updates as events develop.
Your photo inspired me to pick up some apple jam since pork chops are on sale (Meijer, buy one get one for $1). How did you incorporate the jelly with the pork and did it turn out well?

Apples and pork are flavor partners and I enjoy the sweet and savory combination (like a blackberry or Chipotle-raspberry glazed porkloin). I'm still brainstorming on the apple jam and pork chop concept and am hoping for more inspiration.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Your photo inspired me to pick up some apple jam since pork chops are on sale (Meijer, buy one get one for $1). How did you incorporate the jelly with the pork and did it turn out well?

Apples and pork are flavor partners and I enjoy the sweet and savory combination (like a blackberry or Chipotle-raspberry glazed porkloin). I'm still brainstorming on the apple jam and pork chop concept and am hoping for more inspiration.
The pork belly was cubed and seasoned with Bad Byron's Butt Rub as seen above then smoked for about 3 hours at 195. The pork belly was actually fantastic right out of the smoker. Very moist inside with a nice dry almost crispy outside.

After the smoker the pork belly goes into a pan and gets covered with pure dark cane sugar and a stick and a half of butter. Cover with foil and place in a 350 degree oven for about 1.5 hours. As with the smoker portion, the pork belly comes out fantastic here to. Sweet, meaty, moist, and uber tender. In his utube video, Malcolm Reed mentioned how tender the pork belly is at this point and you really can feel the tenderness even when using tongs.

Next the pork belly is transferred to another pan and tossed/covered with a glass made by mixing the ingredients shown above. Only use about 1 - 1.5 TBSP of ginger per each of the other ingredients. More I you really want or less if you want. A good hot sauce could also be added or substituted for the ginger. Then into a 400 degree oven uncovered for about 10 minutes to set the glaze.

I'm still experimenting with the oven temps and times but everyone who has tried my results has raved about it.

End results:

20230114_211358.jpg

You can save the leftover/excess glaze as a dipping sauce for many things.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
One thing I really like about mine is the ability to change temperature an/or time with my phone via Bluetooth.

Mine also has a built-in temperature probe I can monitor through my app on my phone but there are plenty of stand alone probes you can do this with. The temp probe monitor is something I won't ever be without but since there are plenty of options I don't consider a feature essential to the smoker itself.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Found a super meaty pork belly:

View attachment 194558

Cubed, seasoned, and heading to the smoker:

View attachment 194560

My not-so-homemade glaze ingredients:

View attachment 194562

Further updates as events develop.

I prefer it with the skin on.

If you perforate the skin with a sharp thin tip of a knife, really dense, deep cuts right into the fat - it takes some time - and roast it the skin gets crispy and flaky.

It takes an hour or even more in the oven. Just watch the degree of browning. You might wrap the the rest of the meat in aluminium foil to keep it from drying out and it stays dripping and saucy. Salt and pepper.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
One thing I really like about mine is the ability to change temperature an/or time with my phone via Bluetooth.

Mine also has a built-in temperature probe I can monitor through my app on my phone but there are plenty of stand alone probes you can do this with. The temp probe monitor is something I won't ever be without but since there are plenty of options I don't consider a feature essential to the smoker itself.
My Green Mountain pellet smoker has WiFi connectivity that allows me to monitor and control the temperature on my phone as well. It has the temperature probe too, which I agree is very nice to have.

My Traeger, which I got for free, doesn't have any of that. It's a little larger though and still smokes well enough that I use it pretty often.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
The pork belly was cubed and seasoned with Bad Byron's Butt Rub as seen above then smoked for about 3 hours at 195. The pork belly was actually fantastic right out of the smoker. Very moist inside with a nice dry almost crispy outside.

After the smoker the pork belly goes into a pan and gets covered with pure dark cane sugar and a stick and a half of butter. Cover with foil and place in a 350 degree oven for about 1.5 hours. As with the smoker portion, the pork belly comes out fantastic here to. Sweet, meaty, moist, and uber tender. In his utube video, Malcolm Reed mentioned how tender the pork belly is at this point and you really can feel the tenderness even when using tongs.

Next the pork belly is transferred to another pan and tossed/covered with a glass made by mixing the ingredients shown above. Only use about 1 - 1.5 TBSP of ginger per each of the other ingredients. More I you really want or less if you want. A good hot sauce could also be added or substituted for the ginger. Then into a 400 degree oven uncovered for about 10 minutes to set the glaze.

I'm still experimenting with the oven temps and times but everyone who has tried my results has raved about it.

End results:

View attachment 195835

You can save the leftover/excess glaze as a dipping sauce for many things.
That looks great! I love smoked pork belly.

Reactions: shanez

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
A Masterbuilt 20070215 electric smoker named Maurice:

View attachment 195861
Interesting looking device, I've never actually seen one before.

What wood chips do you use, oak, apple? Also, do the chips need to be seasoned or green?

When I lived on the farm I toyed with the idea of building a smoker in one of the spare sheep/cow sheds to smoke some home grown lamb/goat/pork etc but never got around to it, your smoker looks the perfect solution for those with limited space (I'm assuming it's not used indoors).

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: kcghost and shanez

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
@mawnansmiff
Jay,
I've used apple and cherry before and was happy with both but lately I've been using pecan and been very happy.
Yes my smoker takes little space and is outside use only. There's a handle on the back and back 2 legs have wheels so I can tilt it and move it around easily.

@Briar Tuck
How high does the temperature go on your green mountain? My master built tops out at 275. I love mine but being able to have a high heat for certain recipes would be nice.

@ssjones
Vegas baby! My pool heater is at 85 degrees. Unfortunately the weather deteriorated later that afternoon with rain but the pool was great at noon (the next day also).

Reactions: mawnansmiff