PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Here in Las Vegas the dogooders wanted to get smoking out of bars. Unless the bar and kitchen were separated.

The reasoning was “think of the children”

If you’re taking your kids to bars I believe smoking or breathing in smoke is the least of your decision making concerns.

The oddest thing was it was on the ballot on two measures. Item 4 and item 5.

All of the ad propaganda was vote Yes on 4 and No on 5.

When you read them and tried common sense you’d vote No on 4 and Yes on 5.

Both measures failed. So you can still smoke in bars.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I really doubt that would pass. Heck, most people don’t even hit Bourbon Street till after 11. That would crush tourism.
Michael, I appreciate I might be risking your ire by posting this but see how these folk are steering drinking freedoms in Canada ;).

Regards,

Jay.

New Orleans is a little different than Canada. The whole reason for vacationing there is the nightlife in Bourbon Street and the surrounding areas. Most bands don't even start till midnight, with some bars not even opening till then. Closing them at 11 would severly crush tourism. But, I have seen some TV commercials where they are trying to sell New Orleans as a "family" destination, ha ha. I know that after Katrina that a lot of the seedier parts became high dollar corporate bars... so, maybe they are trying to... phhhhht, only an idiot would take kids to New Orleans. I mean, who will watch the kids while you go into the brothel, ha ha.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I’ve worked over nights in Boston at the Omni Parker house and ended my “day” with bloody Mary’s at the world littlest bar around the corner, then again in Florida there are still Sunday “blue laws” about what time you can start purchasing, also that grocery stores can’t sell hard liquor so you all next door to the liquor store owned by the grocery store, Florida was also the state that turned the drive thru vehicle inspection stations into drive thru liquor stores, every place is different.

Closing at 11 might also stop a lot for the shenanigans i.e. crime that happens, im assuming they would be open late on the weekends.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
The city cut back our Oktoberfest from 11 days of serious over consumption to 4 for the quality of life of the locals. One weekend of inebriated out of town guests was enough. I worked the fest at my downtown pipe shop/cigar lounge and it's fun and profitable but one weekend is enough.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Here in Acadian dogooders want to end liquor sales by 11:eek:clock, Mardi Grais was a way to celebrate before Lent, 40 days of penance , as if that wasn’t enough, the dogooders want to crush us, God save us from the Dogooders.
I think it's a good idea. Will teach alcoholics to plan ahead. Reminds me of around here in PA years ago they let a few State Stores open on Sundays. And there where people who protested it and predicted a very specific and surprisingly inaccurate degradation of society as a whole. Now all the State Stores are open on Sunday.
Though before that my favorite statement on it was from Artie the crazy Scottish Hair dresser. (I never met anyone else who could insult every single human being he ever met and yet still be endearing, seriously the way he was he should have gotten his ass kicked everyday but everyone loved him). Well Artie said the law was sexiest. Since you could still buy beer which men tend to like but couldn't buy wine which woman like. I countered with it was also sexiest against real men who drink Whiskey.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The city cut back our Oktoberfest from 11 days of serious over consumption to 4 for the quality of life of the locals. One weekend of inebriated out of town guests was enough. I worked the fest at my downtown pipe shop/cigar lounge and it's fun and profitable but one weekend is enough.
you'd hate my town. Every darn football game is a small town filled with a cities worth of drunken morons. Not so bad now that I live out by the woods. And you know it wouldn't be so bad but their taste in music is terrible.

Reactions: Deano

Deano

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2022
Iowa
I remember buying Sunday beer on Saturday night due to no Sunday beer sales here in lowa. Thats not an issue anymore but bars have beer gardens outside where you can only smoke. Guess they dont want folks getting drunk and burning the bars down with a careless match?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In my middle sized city in N.C., they permanently closed a street and made a pedestrian mall out of it, but then tried to restrict the area, forbidding food carts and such. Trying to "stage direct" the festivities gradually killed the foot traffic and sense of celebration, and they ended up re-opening the area to traffic. Meddling with people's habits of celebration tends to end them altogether. You don't want mayhem, but people aren't going to party in lock step by the clock. That isn't how it works. Needless to say, my "burg" isn't known as a big party town. People always look a little confused at celebratory events. There's face-painting for kids, and maybe a puppet show, and then everyone goes home to have a drink ... or not.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Here in Acadian dogooders want to end liquor sales by 11:eek:clock, Mardi Grais was a way to celebrate before Lent, 40 days of penance , as if that wasn’t enough, the dogooders want to crush us, God save us from the Dogooders.
And when you say END liquor sales, you mean in bars and stores??

Reactions: Briar Tuck