Another Cosmic Spigot - Rustic Spig

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

I don't worry about taking a pipe apart when it's warm, nor am I worried about a pipe breaking... I just like the look of the metal on a spigot. not to toot my own horn, but I've gotten proficient at making a spigot. This one has set on a back burner throughout the Christmas holidays because of orders and a certain flyfisherman pipemaker named Mark has kept me busy making his 40th anniversary pipe bands, and a whole box of other bands. But, the last of his Christmas pipes were boxed up yesterday, so I got to piece this one together. You may notice the texture of this band on a few pipebands on Glenn's pipes going up soon. I used a ball bur and a hammer I fabricated to give the sterling that rustic look. And, of course, each spigot I make, I give the ol' sling test to make sure the fit is snug.

A certain pipemaker made the stummels for me, and I have a few more spig fabrications to go to complete my spigot set. I did get a little stain on the inside of the bowl, but I will polish that out before smoking. The stem is from playing around with vacuum casting acrylic. drilling the suckers is what has me wasting a bunch of interesting stem colorations. Damn acrylic just doesn't track a drillbit well at all.

Anyways, the briar I've had on my other stummels made by this guy is quite mellow but aromatic, and I know this one will be as well. No greenness. It doesn't take a sandblast as well as others I've tried, but I'll get there. I'm still trying with some supervision.

Anyways, with no further fanfare...

5.jpg

7.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

Anyways, i won't be giving up my day job, but... what do you think? Smokable?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I don't worry about taking a pipe apart when it's warm, nor am I worried about a pipe breaking... I just like the look of the metal on a spigot. not to toot my own horn, but I've gotten proficient at making a spigot. This one has set on a back burner throughout the Christmas holidays because of orders and a certain flyfisherman pipemaker named Mark has kept me busy making his 40th anniversary pipe bands, and a whole box of other bands. But, the last of his Christmas pipes were boxed up yesterday, so I got to piece this one together. You may notice the texture of this band on a few pipebands on Glenn's pipes going up soon. I used a ball bur and a hammer I fabricated to give the sterling that rustic look. And, of course, each spigot I make, I give the ol' sling test to make sure the fit is snug.

A certain pipemaker made the stummels for me, and I have a few more spig fabrications to go to complete my spigot set. I did get a little stain on the inside of the bowl, but I will polish that out before smoking. The stem is from playing around with vacuum casting acrylic. drilling the suckers is what has me wasting a bunch of interesting stem colorations. Damn acrylic just doesn't track a drillbit well at all.

Anyways, the briar I've had on my other stummels made by this guy is quite mellow but aromatic, and I know this one will be as well. No greenness. It doesn't take a sandblast as well as others I've tried, but I'll get there. I'm still trying with some supervision.

View attachment 195255

View attachment 195256

View attachment 195258

View attachment 195259

View attachment 195260

best one so far. It feels thematically natural to sound as pretentious as I can about why this is my fav. The others lacked the kind of subtlety that I prefer on pipe accents. And also I like that in a weird way the faux rustication or blast or whatever almost looks like that part of the stummel got fossilized or mineralized in some way. Almost like it takes fake antiquification to a whole nother and interesting extreme.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
My goodness cosmic that is just beautiful. Some seriously jaw-dropping work on both of the pipes you've posted above. The metal-work has a very old-world, early 20th century look to it and reminds me a lot of some of the pipes that @ashdigger and @TheIronMonkey have posted from that period.
Also it's always interesting to see an artist or artisan display commissioned work next to more personal projects. Kind of like seeing someone in a formal situation and also hanging out with them and getting lose.

Reggie

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2020
Gardendale, Alabama

View attachment 195255

View attachment 195256

View attachment 195258

View attachment 195259

View attachment 195260

Absolutely stunning !!!!😳😳😳😳

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Also it's always interesting to see an artist or artisan display commissioned work next to more personal projects. Kind of like seeing someone in a formal situation and also hanging out with them and getting lose.
Totally agree. Often, for better or worse, the artisan is pushed more out of their comfort zone in a commission because they're trying something they normally wouldn't.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore