Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Can any of my learned friends here advise if any pipe makers made pipes with a matt finish to their stems?

I ask, because I have a Les Wood Ferndown with a stem that is completely matt finish, with no signs of polishing at all. I don't recall ever seeing any pipes with a matt finished stem, but of course they may well exist.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Is it Cumberland or swirl ebonite/vulcanite? If so it will loose its shine and look flat. Black will too, but it usually oxidizes first. Cumberland oxidizes as well but it doesn't show as much.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Most old estate vulcanite stems are matt, just because they've dulled over the years. Apart from polishing to an extremely high grit, vulcanized rubber is very matt.

If you've only ever seen well polished ones, I'd guess that you've bought only new or freshly refurbed pipes.

If you want it shiny, you can do a lot with toothpaste.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Most old estate vulcanite stems are matt, just because they've dulled over the years. Apart from polishing to an extremely high grit, vulcanized rubber is very matt.

If you've only ever seen well polished ones, I'd guess that you've bought only new or freshly refurbed pipes.

If you want it shiny, you can do a lot with toothpaste.
SBC,
Many thanks.
As an estate pipe, the stummel is in excellent condition.

Smoke Wagon mentioned that oxi-clean could leave the stem in a matt texture, which I believe was discussed in another thread.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
"Yes it can be brought back..."
That was kinda where I was going with this. I wasn't sure if the stem had been damaged during a soaking in some cleaning product. Or had in fact been left matt from production.
I think I've seen new pipes with a matt finish before. Maybe post a picture of it if you can someone might know.