PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
I still have about half a dozen I got in the 1990's. They used to offer 3 shapes in each line: a straight billiard, a bent billiard, and a third which would vary. I'd get the billiards in pairs (bent & straight). To the OP, that's a nice straight Helmsman, one of my favorite lines. The Galleon was stained dark brown and the Sloop was a black sandblast (going from memory now). There were a couple other lines, I've still got them somewhere.
This one actually says "Schooner". Going to pick it up on Wednesday. I'll see where he got it from. New/unsmoked

Reactions: Nevaditude

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
I've never seen a Schooner before. The ones I know are: Helmsman (light walnut), Galleon (smooth brown), Sloop (black sandblast), Sentinel (two-tone burgundy), and Yeoman (brown sandblast). I think there's also a Windjammer that's very similar to a Helmsman.

Here are photos of the Sentinel (top) and Helmsman (bottom).
CB.jpg

I also found 2 Smoker's Pride pipes I got from the pouch offer (I remember they were very affordable) back in the 1990's. They must have plastic stems as they are still black.
SP.jpg

Enjoy your new pipe! Now you just need a CB rest for it (they used to come in the tobacco tubs, like toys in cereal boxes)!
rest.jpg

Reactions: Ray Popp

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I only smoke St. Bruno in my Ogden’s St. Bruno pipe. No feeling of obligation, it’s just fitting.
I can go either way on things like that. I don't know how it works but yes sometimes it just feels right and other times it just doesn't feel needed. Though I have found that with branded snuff boxes I try to match the brand to the snuff inside but mainly to avoid explaining first that yes that's the Sharrow mills Dandy and the box is filled with Indian snuff and both brands are great but.... (the whole time knowing 90 percent of them are going to forget what was said and tell other people the guy on the box is named Andy and he's from India.

Reactions: Sjmiller CPG

Ray Popp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 14, 2022
I've never seen a Schooner before. The ones I know are: Helmsman (light walnut), Galleon (smooth brown), Sloop (black sandblast), Sentinel (two-tone burgundy), and Yeoman (brown sandblast). I think there's also a Windjammer that's very similar to a Helmsman.

Here are photos of the Sentinel (top) and Helmsman (bottom).
View attachment 195115

I also found 2 Smoker's Pride pipes I got from the pouch offer (I remember they were very affordable) back in the 1990's. They must have plastic stems as they are still black.
View attachment 195116

Enjoy your new pipe! Now you just need a CB rest for it (they used to come in the tobacco tubs, like toys in cereal boxes)!
View attachment 195117
Damn ... Cracker Jacks for adults ... wish they would start doing this again.

Reactions: romaso