PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Maybe it’s helpful to describe both as you obviously got some experience with the different types.
Actually no, I have several of the original ones made by Fratelli Rossi. Nice pipes, at least the ones I have are correct, although without pretensions. At one time Fratelli Rossi was the largest pipe manufacturer in the world, so there must be millions of such pipes, but it is said that most of them were quite simple. The ones Savinelli makes are just cheaper versions of his own pipes. They are pipes without their own identity, just a Savinelli that comes in a simpler box, usually dark tinted and with a cheaper mouthpiece. I have some of these, but in the Savinelli version.
The pipe in the photo is a Rossi shape Dublin, made by FR with a rather interesting deep sandblasting.

IMG_20221117_191734696.jpg

Reactions: UB 40

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
From my experience Savinelli, Rossi, Ropp, and Barling seconds.

Some of the comments here compelled me to purchase a straight apple sandblast from Greywoodie. Let's see what Kaywoodie pipes are all about.

Reactions: LeafErikson

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Don't know if this counts but I love Moonshine and BriarWorks pipes. I’ve got a Cannonball bent ball/apple, a Stoker poker, and an oom paul C151XL. Hoping to add an Anse eventually.

Reactions: Oddball

ADKPiper

Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
I buy a lot of estate pipes.
Not as many new ones.
But I've been liking my bought new Rossi and a Ropp lately.
I bought both because they are unusual shapes.
A bent pot and a tomato.
Both smoke great.
I have a Nording freehand that I like but it's big.
I smoke others more often.
But it's a great pipe and makes my kids say "Arrrgh matey" whenever they see me smoking it.

Reactions: Briar Lee

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I haven’t smoked nearly as many pipes as many forum members, and I hate to be boring, but Savinelli pipes are my choice. I think that current Savinellis are so well made that in 60-70 years, this era of Savinelli pipe will be seen as collectible in the same way that some currently collect early Dunhills, Barlings, Petersons, etc.
The only Savinelli's I've owned have been the high end Punto Oro Gold. So I may be biased with them. But if someone wants to know what a "good" pipe should be like, I tell them Savinelli. I will be eagerly buying one from their Spring line in the next couple weeks. I'm curious to see the difference between them.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The only Savinelli's I've owned have been the high end Punto Oro Gold. So I may be biased with them. But if someone wants to know what a "good" pipe should be like, I tell them Savinelli. I will be eagerly buying one from their Spring line in the next couple weeks. I'm curious to see the difference between them.
I've had most of their lines from unfinished to Giubileo d'Oros and mainly found the only difference was aesthetic. From one end to another, they make good pipes.

Akoni808

Mar 17, 2022
O’ahu, Hawai’i
I had to go back to the title of this thread ... seems the discussion was jumping from currently available factory pipes to those no longer made.

I don't have more than one pipe from any single factory, I don't think, but I have a few, and each is a favorite in one way or another. I have yet to have multiples of any single design, either. So, I guess I am sort of like the kid with many stuffed toys not wanting to upset any of them ...

A feel a PAD episode beginning to overtake me ...

Still, I like reading all of the comments ...
I didn’t specify currently in production or not, purposely.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
My only two Savinellis are the el cheapo tre rusticated one’s. One is a 626 and the other is a 104. They’re both flawless smokers. I have 8 pipes that I regularly smoke and it’s hard for a pipe to make the cut. I’m really not into the idea of having 30, 40, 50 pipes so if there’s anything about a pipe I don’t like it gets traded (unless of course it’s a bad smoker then it gets trashed). I hope you like the new Savinelli. I doubt you’ll find anything about the smoke itself to complain about.11657EA4-451C-4437-9AC5-2565636FD9BE.jpegFA82B839-27FC-44B4-BFEE-D9287C37CFA2.jpeg

Akoni808

Mar 17, 2022
O’ahu, Hawai’i
All my savinellis are amazing smokers. I want to try their filterless options though. The 6mm’s are a tad too open for me.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
My only two Savinellis are the el cheapo tre rusticated one’s. One is a 626 and the other is a 104. They’re both flawless smokers. I have 8 pipes that I regularly smoke and it’s hard for a pipe to make the cut. I’m really not into the idea of having 30, 40, 50 pipes so if there’s anything about a pipe I don’t like it gets traded (unless of course it’s a bad smoker then it gets trashed). I hope you like the new Savinelli. I doubt you’ll find anything about the smoke itself to complain about.View attachment 194676View attachment 194679
noticed the zig zags. One fun thing about those is no one ever believes that you really need rolling papers for tobacco when you buy those.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since someone mentioned pricing on Dunhill/White Spot pipes, I feel compelled to reference our late great Dunhill expert foggy mountain who sold pipes in Manhattan pipe shops in his teens in the 1950's. At the time, the two best selling premium pipes were the Kaywoodie, which was the most prized factory pipe of the era, and second place went to Dunhill. And it is especially important to note that while both of these were higher priced, they were both something affordable to the average salary earner, not comparable to their price today corrected for inflation.

The escalation of Dunhill prices came in the 1960's when the company cultivated its high status image with prices hiked regularly accordingly, which gave us the 800 UDS plus new pipe price of the standard medium size smooth billiard we see today. So Dunhill wasn't "born" at these prices. It cleverly and persistently created that market.

By the way, foggy' bought White Spots on through his later years, but shunned many of the series as inferior, and developed a preference (according to his posts) for the prince shapes in a smooth finish.

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Since someone mentioned pricing on Dunhill/White Spot pipes, I feel compelled to reference our late great Dunhill expert foggy mountain who sold pipes in Manhattan pipe shops in his teens in the 1950's. At the time, the two best selling premium pipes were the Kaywoodie, which was the most prized factory pipe of the era, and second place went to Dunhill. And it is especially important to note that while both of these were higher priced, they were both something affordable to the average salary earner, not comparable to their price today corrected for inflation.

The escalation of Dunhill prices came in the 1960's when the company cultivated its high status image with prices hiked regularly accordingly, which gave us the 800 UDS plus new pipe price of the standard medium size smooth billiard we see today. So Dunhill wasn't "born" at these prices. It cleverly and persistently created that market.

By the way, foggy' bought White Spots on through his later years, but shunned many of the series as inferior, and developed a preference (according to his posts) for the prince shapes in a smooth finish.
Is there documentation to support the claim that Kaywoodie was selling for more than Dunhill?

The George Yales 1941 catalog has the following prices.
Barling: $10
Roop Cherrywood: 49 cents.
Cobs: (not MM) 10, 25 and 50 cents.
G.B.D : $5, with Silver Ferule $6
Sasieni: $8.5
Peterson's: Shamrock $3
Peterson's: System Pipe between $4 and $5.5.
Comoy`s: Grand Slam $5
Dunhill (Bruyere, Shell Briar, and Root Briar in common non-ODA sizes): $10
Kaywoodie Drinkless: $3.5
Frank Medical: $1.