PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
These responses are so thoughtful. I wasn’t sure people would make the effort as it seemed like a done-to-death topic. But I think that even if this has been discussed a lot, these answers right here are valuable. These answers amount to a very clear way of thinking about something beginners really need to know.
Responses are usually thoughtful and whether here or in the several other places to find them, are always valuable, IMO. In a few days or a week or two it will come up again and I'm sure there will be thoughtful and helpful suggestions at that time and in the future and being more recent may help someone just jumping on or back in. The answers can be found in some pinned threads in a couple of sub-forums, which I have to remind myself to look at from time to time, but I really don't care if I read about it again or again or again.

I found out yesterday at lunchtime there was such a thing as "too dry" - grabbed a tin that was around two years old and had been raided a fair amount. It was an aromatic and just had a way too crispy feel and there was just not much to it at all and dumped the bowl in favor of an earthy Virginia, so I learned something (for me).

I favor drier than wetter and sometimes crispy-ish, but that's a moving target. But ... I pulled some KBV Stoved and Red out of a just opened pouch yesterday, not goopy but moist (his stuff comes pretty close to just right to me), no dry time and smoked perfectly so there you are.

Last edited:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I wasn’t aware that i should care what others think about Tobacco moisture levels as I’m not smoking their tobacco. Pretty sure most ppl don’t care about mine. The term YMMV could have been created for the pipe community because it’s the only actual constant.
You shouldn't be wrong. But on every forum of any kind, that I've been on, most members desperately want to know what you think of their.... (fill in the blank).

Zack Miller

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
My general go-to is C&D Green River. It is definitely moist and leaves a brown residue on my finger when I load and tamp it. I keep the lid off to let it dry some, but I never have problems keeping it lit. Not sure this is supposed to be a great tobacco, but what do I know. I’m not an expert like some of the people here.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Responses are usually thoughtful and whether here or in the several other places to find them, are always valuable, IMO. In a few days or a week or two it will come up again and I'm sure there will be thoughtful and helpful suggestions at that time and in the future and being more recent may help someone just jumping on or back in. The answers can be found in some pinned threads in a couple of sub-forums, which I have to remind myself to look at from time to time, but I really don't care if I read about it again or again or again.

I found out yesterday at lunchtime there was such a thing as "too dry" - grabbed a tin that was around two years old and had been raided a fair amount. It was an aromatic and just had a way too crispy feel and there was just not much to it at all and dumped the bowl in favor of an earthy Virginia, so I learned something (for me).

I favor drier than wetter and sometimes crispy-ish, but that's a moving target. But ... I pulled some KBV Stoved and Red out of a just opened pouch yesterday, not goopy but moist (his stuff comes pretty close to just right to me), no dry time and smoked perfectly so there you are.
Excellent: yes. And a here is a great community! I’m having more problems since restarting my hobby than I remember having when I first started smoking pipes. I think it’s because I’m a bit impatient and I’m not very relaxed. Is there such a thing as under-tamping? I think I took some advice about leaving the tobacco very loose (scoop method?) a bit too literally because I’ve been having issues keeping my pipe lit, even after getting the tobacco pretty well dry.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I got into dry tobacco by accident. I had a tin I forgot about sort of. And it was really dry I almost threw it out but thought why not give it a try. It smoked like a dream.
Stays lit, burns to ash, minimum number of relights, super easy to gravity fill and for VA / VaPers to me there is very little loss of flavor. I bought a couple tins of BBF from 2018 that showed up like kindling, the seals gave way and the seller didn't know or maybe didn't care who knows, smoked great, that being said i still used a little distilled water and a $5 misting bottle i bought off amazon to give them a little bit of life.

Completely different rant i would appreciate it if more people check seals before selling tins, the rectangles are easy enough to check or even shake and see if it sounds like it's full of rocks.