Choosing a Blend after Seeing it in WAYS?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Yesterday while I was perusing the WAYS thread, I noticed that two people were smoking GLP Jack Knife Plug and thought, “That sounds good, haven’t smoked that in awhile.”

So, today when I opened the baccy “on deck” cabinet, I immediately thought JKP.

I Understanding many people have there go to every day blends and a small list of tobacco that they frequent. However, are there times when you read the WAYS thread that you decide to smoke that blend next?
Well, I’m off to fetch the JKP and have a smoke.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Not common, but not entirely unheard of either. Perhaps 1 in 10 times that will happen. Of course, the slippery slope there is the leap from "That sounds good, haven't smoked that in a while" to "That sounds good, I should sign in to my SP.com account and impulsively hoard several pounds of it."

We all know that slope, don't we? Am I right, or am I right?

ned.gif

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I have vowed to smoke through my 50 open jars / tins before cracking anything new. It downright pains me because there are so many I have waiting that I've never tried yet!

The WAYS thread doesn't make it any easier. I figure if I can go about my life everyday and resist the urge to slap every tight, lulu lemon-clad arse that I see, I can keep this goal on track.

And I don't want to go to jail, or get hit with a snow shovel by my wife

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
There have been times, by pure coincidence, I’ve smoked the same blend as someone else the same day, that was posted in WAYS. On occasion, I’ve been nudged by someone’s choice. Sometimes, it comes down to a pipe I feel like using and what blends might be limited to that particular pipe. I recently started a spreadsheet, entering my pipes and what blends I’ve smoked in them (searching WAYS comes in handy!) I’m toying with creating multiple seven day sets by pipe brand and tobacco genre using pipes I have in my collection.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I never base my smoking on the WAYS posts. But, then, I don’t seem to share folks’ interest in telling strangers what they’re smoking or reading what others are smoking and in what pipe. But pipesmoking has never been a big communal thing for me.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I have vowed to smoke through my 50 open jars / tins before cracking anything new. It downright pains me because there are so many I have waiting that I've never tried yet!

The WAYS thread doesn't make it any easier.
I'm so glad there is a kindred spirit out there.
My situation entirely 😄

Only thing that saves me from TAD is living in Oz
I'm green with envy at the choice available in the USA, UK & EU

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I recently started a spreadsheet, entering my pipes and what blends I’ve smoked in them (searching WAYS comes in handy!) I’m toying with creating multiple seven day sets by pipe brand and tobacco genre using pipes I have in my collection.
That is totally OCD 🙄😆
I'm somewhat obsessive, but that requires too much discipline 😏

Last edited:

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Yeah often I'll go there just to help me figure out what to smoke, usually if I'm the mood for something the WAYS thread will help me figure it out. Over 200 jars I could pick from I need help some days lol.
Like those diner menus with 600 choices. Overwhelming choice can cripple me. But I don’t look at the thread to decide. If I can’t decide I grab a codger blend, or a simple burley or Va.
I never base my smoking on the WAYS posts. But, then, I don’t seem to share folks’ interest in telling strangers what they’re smoking or reading what others are smoking and in what pipe. But pipesmoking has never been a big communal thing for me.
I don’t get any validation from it when I share on WAYS. Sometimes I don’ t even post what I’m smoking but I enjoy seeing what others are, hearing of a blend I haven’t heard of, seeing the myriad pipes, and I think it’s cool how in some far off place another human is taking a timeout to enjoy what I’m enjoying. I think of our global community and interconnection all because of this simple pleasure. In short, it makes me feel good to know that I’m not the only enjoying a great bowl at that moment in time.