PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Lees65GTO

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2022
Texas
The oldest I have that I know the date of for sure is two 8oz foil bags of Esoterica Stonehaven from Feb. 2009.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Oldest tins on my cellar are Dunhill nightcap from the 70's I believe. Also have some very early McClelland...don't recall the dates but they have a cutter top (I think). After that most tins are from the 90's onward. TAD for sure...

Reactions: TheWhale13

orvet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2023
Willamette Valley of Oregon
This Thread has got me interested. I have a lot of old tobaccos from the 1980s. I have a 200 gram tin of Bells Three Nuns made in Scotland. It is dated 1989. I had a can from 1984 that lost its seal so I sealed it up with a vacuum sealer. It sat that way for probably 15 years and when I opened it recently it was a little bit dry. I moistened it a few days ago and smoked a bowl today and it was very good. Not as good as it would have been in its prime, but it's improving. Today's Bowl was better than the first bowl of that I smoked.

I have some others that I will have to dig out see what their dates are.

In the 1980s I knew a fellow who would age his Dunhill Light flake for 2 to 5 years before smoking it. I tried aging a few tins of it and they were quite good. The age took a lot of of the moisture and bite out of it and the flavors were very well married after 2 years.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

biodarwin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2019
Indy
While I have some 10-year-old tins, I believe the oldest I have bought retail is at around the 5-year mark.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
The oldest I have that I know the date of for sure is two 8oz foil bags of Esoterica Stonehaven from Feb. 2009.
The oldest Stonehaven I’ve smoked had 9 years on it, and it was incredible. That should be glorious whenever you decide to take the plunge and open the bag.

Reactions: Singularis

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
My first year buying for cellar was 2010.
In that year I bought (usually 5-packs of) the following:
Escudo, Davidoff Flake Medallions, Davidoff Royalty, SG Best Brown, Rattray's Old Gowrie, Brown Clunee, Dunhill Navy Rolls.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I have old tins of Christmas Cheer from the 90s that I picked up at pipe shows but my cellaring started in earnest in 2013.

Like many, I started cellaring just because I was buying tins faster than I could smoke them and the process of building up a collection of old tins happened naturally. I'm to the point now where I need to be better about seeking out those older tins to open instead of smoking the more readily accessible tins I get in the mail.

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
Back when I started smoking my pipe TWENTY-ONE YEARS AGO (hot damn...), it was a rare treat to be able to get on my postage-sized porch with my roommate and light up a bowl. We'd go to Tinder Box, and talk to the cigar aficionado who knew nothing about pipe tobacco except what moved the quickest. We'd buy an ounce or two of Wilshire (1-Q with a Tinder Box price tag), and burn the evidence. We never kept anything.

I only recently started cellaring. I have Nightcap, Westminster, Gaslight, Stokkebye's Proper English, Mac Baren Golden Slices, and Margate from 2019.

Beowoulf

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2022
I have a whole slew of tobacco cellared from 2001 which is when I last quit smoking a pipe. When the Montreal Pipe Smoker's Club broke up, I kinda lost interest. Smoking with people is so much more fun for me. Anyway, I just put the tobacco in a box and stored it somewhere. I did even know that I was cellaring it. I thought I had just put it away!

Reactions: Mrs. Pickles