SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 27, 2020
Does anyone else think that Dr. Gaius Baltar as portrayed by James Callis is one of the very best TV performances ever? I am making my way through Battlestar Galactica in its entirety for the first time and would rank his portrayal up there with Derek Jacobi's Claudius and am more than a bit surprised that he didn't go on to become a "bigger" actor.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Wow, its been nearly 20 years since I watched that one. The few things I remember about it were they took a lot of liberties over the original and they over sexualized it. The camera panning gave me quite a bit of motion sickness as well.

Reactions: Briar Tuck
Jan 27, 2020
The original was fine for its time. The reboot was a masterclass in how to do a reboot.

I agree. I didn't realize that Richard Hatch was in both series until I decided to look at some old Battlestar clips this morning. My favorite part, or the only think I really remember from the original series as I was rather young when I watched it, was the furby robot dog.

Last edited:
Reactions: telescopes
Jan 27, 2020
I binge watch that. He was by far the most interesting character, imo. Sold out all of humanity for a bit of tail. He was rather slippery as I recall.

But... he also had a genuine spiritual transformation and embraced his messianic role with undoubted sincerity. Interesting in this first real sermon of his that he basically preaches what people now talk about as "self-love". I found it rather poignant and stirring. I think one could believe in this "singular spark" which he speaks of and not believe in God in a traditionally religious way.

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
One of my favorite shows ever and while he never really blew up as an actor I did see him make some appearances later on.

Sadly they are rebooting it..again. What I loved about the 2000’s BSG is they had some of the actors from the og show in it, a nice touch. Doubt that will happen this time.

Check out ‘The Expanse’ if you love sci-fi.