PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Nice pipe!

Interestingly whenever I see the C&D/Smoking Pipes guy comment on a tobacco they have these tiny clay pipes, makes me think they give a very clean taste.

Apparently if one walks on the river Thames bank and sift the mud a bit they'll end up with dozens of clay pipes and fragments.
@karam I would love to mudlark for clay pipes in the Thames estuary as I volunteer with Don Catchment Rivers Trust so I'm used to wearing waders.
Have a look at what i get up to here: Welcome to the home of Don Catchment Rivers Trust (DCRT) - https://dcrt.org.uk/

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
@5star A shame Dawnmist is no longer making clay pipes and a shame Wilson's of Sharrow in Sheffield (just up the road from me) are no longer making clay pipes, or I'd probably be their biggest customer:)
Yes @halfdan Heather made the very best clays out there!
Top quality & perfect draw. (Other clays I’d tried tended to be too restricted.)
Hopefully one day she will begin making them again.

Mac

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Nice pipe!

Interestingly whenever I see the C&D/Smoking Pipes guy comment on a tobacco they have these tiny clay pipes, makes me think they give a very clean taste.

Apparently if one walks on the river Thames bank and sift the mud a bit they'll end up with dozens of clay pipes and fragments.
My oldest clay is dated from around 1750. It was dug up from the mud of the Thames around 1950. (Not by me personally though). But people still find lots of clays there nowadays.

If only my old clay could talk ! The stories it would tell !

Mac

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
My oldest clay is dated from around 1750. It was dug up from the mud of the Thames around 1950. (Not by me personally though). But people still find lots of clays there nowadays.

If only my old clay could talk ! The stories it would tell !

Mac
@5star I'd love some vintage clays for when I go re-enactments:)
Your c1750 clay would suit Lace Wars / Redcoats & Revolutionaries; getting a vintage clay lit from the blacksmith's forge while wearing my redcoat uniform would really be something!!!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Just finishing my first smoke in this brand new Lepeltier pipe....it smokes great and the taste of the tobacco is very pure even with it being the first smoke ever out of the pipe. So far I love it, just wondering if the draft hole will get plugged every now and then. Love that its a sitter too!
View attachment 193369
I poke a pipe cleaner through the draught hole before loading the pipe to make sure it is clear.

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
@5star I'd love some vintage clays for when I go re-enactments:)
Your c1750 clay would suit Lace Wars / Redcoats & Revolutionaries; getting a vintage clay lit from the blacksmith's forge while wearing my redcoat uniform would really be something!!!
The stem is broken off (like most old pipes found in the wild) so overall length is around 6 1/2”. A very nice, convenient length for actual smoking. Dawnmist Heather made a ‘1740 Model’ pipe that looks my old clay. - a tavern style clay with a shorter stem. I bought the antique clay from her years ago. Hmmmm . . I wonder if she patterned the ‘1740 Model’ on it. I never thought to ask her. - - Her 1740 is probably my favorite clay. I don’t smoke the antique. Would hate to break it - the only downside to clay pipes.

Mac

Reactions: The Clay King
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Have you ever thought about making the hole bigger? I am curious if the pipe would smoke even better with the hole slightly larger.
I actually have but am not sure what I'd use on that glazed clay. I'm thinking that's pretty brittle and would be difficult to work with. Also, I'm not so sure enlarging that hole would make it better. Could make it worse. It's not been much of a problem for me thus far so if it's not broke, don't fix it.

Reactions: 5star

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Just finishing my first smoke in this brand new Lepeltier pipe....it smokes great and the taste of the tobacco is very pure even with it being the first smoke ever out of the pipe. So far I love it, just wondering if the draft hole will get plugged every now and then. Love that its a sitter too!
View attachment 193369
Maybe this is a tobacco pipe that would benefit from a pipe screen ?
It’s been a few years since Ive considered one. I always found their positioning of the draft hole to be odd.

FCD3313E-E9BB-4C38-AEAD-14D85F533C82.jpeg

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
The stem is broken off (like most old pipes found in the wild) so overall length is around 6 1/2”. A very nice, convenient length for actual smoking. Dawnmist Heather made a ‘1740 Model’ pipe that looks my old clay. - a tavern style clay with a shorter stem. I bought the antique clay from her years ago. Hmmmm . . I wonder if she patterned the ‘1740 Model’ on it. I never thought to ask her. - - Her 1740 is probably my favorite clay. I don’t smoke the antique. Would hate to break it - the only downside to clay pipes.

Mac
@5star I broke my Pollock pipe this morning; I've lost count of how many I've broken...
The 1740 model clay would be perfect for the Lace Wars / Redcoats & Revolutionaries events.
I've been looking at suitable tobacco for clay pipe smoking, either Virginia / Cavendish or traditional twist & plug blends.

LOREN

Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
I actually have but am not sure what I'd use on that glazed clay. I'm thinking that's pretty brittle and would be difficult to work with. Also, I'm not so sure enlarging that hole would make it better. Could make it worse. It's not been much of a problem for me thus far so if it's not broke, don't fix it.
I know the Lepeltier is very brittle from experience. Mine was clogging but I didn’t have the good sense to try a screen of some sort first.

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
I know the Lepeltier is very brittle from experience. Mine was clogging but I didn’t have the good sense to try a screen of some sort first.
I ended up getting a Lepeltier billiard. I put a brass pipe screen in it, before loading the bowl. Works perfect.
No clogging issues. Nice draw.

Mac