PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
I’m getting some cheap, Muslin bags. I’m thinking they should be porous enough for tobacco to dry out and deter the kitties from eating and getting sick. Anyone else use a similar method?

Reactions: romaso and FurCoat

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
I hung my drying tobacco leaves in the garage. Only one of our kitties likes to go there and she's left them alone. None of them bother the tobacco plants that were brought indoors to our "sun room" where grow lights are located this winter.

Reactions: Ben.R.C

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
I don't think I've ever heard of a cat eating tobacco. That's interesting. Mine used to be very finicky even with which brand food I offered him.
It’s more a concern, it hasn’t happened. One of my cats seems to eat anything, plastics especially, so this is a step of prevention. Also, they might knock over an open bowl of drying tobacco, so that’s another reason.

MikeDub

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2022
SoCal
My cat likes to try and cover up the tobacco when I’m drying it but since I leave it on a hard surface she’s so far been unsuccessful. She’s never tried to eat it yet thankfully

• Haha
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
They sound like oversized catnip toys! Cat party at your house!

Minus the bags would they actually eat tobacco?

I have a dog that licks up the occasional pieces off the floor, but he eats dust bunnies - at least we don't need one of those robot cleaner doohickies.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
My cat, Smokey, does not like it when I smoke. His name belies his true nature, I suppose. Every now and then, he will crawl into my lap or let his curiosity get the better of him, but once I get some smoke going, he dips.

But the muslin bag thing is a good idea. I don't worry about Smokey eating my tobacco, but I wouldn't want to take the chance, and he may always decide to play with it, etc. Thankfully, I just keep mine rolled up in a paper towel and inside my roll-top desk. He can't get in there that way.

The bigger issue I find is that cat hair creeps into everything, my pipes included. A part of my pre-smoke ritual is to make sure no errant cat hairs found their way inside the chamber of my pipe. It's an annoyance, but a small price to pay for having such a fine companion.

• Haha
Reactions: romaso and Ben.R.C

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Our cats show zero interest in my tobacco, so I leave mine out in the open. One does like the room note though. I’ve cut him off, at least for the time being because my wife says he hasn’t been eating well lately. He got up a good hairball so hopefully that was his issue.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
You get a stuffed animal that looks like your cat. Call the cat to you, and you show your cat the stuff animal eating the tobacco. After you act like the stuffed animal eating the tobacco, beat the shit out of the stuffed animal. Depends on how smart your cat is, she or he won't ever come near the tobacco.

You get a stuffed animal that looks like your cat. Call the cat to you, and you show your cat the stuff animal eating the tobacco. After you act like the stuffed animal eating the tobacco, beat the shit out of the stuffed animal. Depends on how smart your cat is, she or he won't ever come near the tobacco.
I have four dogs in the house now, and the smallest and most spunky is deaf. So, he doesn't listen to commands. When I was giving them all treats, they all lined up and the smallest went to grab the treat from my hand as I was going to give it to the dog before him, and knowing that saying "no" would mean nothing to him since he can't hear, I just popped his butt, and he yelped over dramatically. The rest of the dogs refused to take the treats from my hand, ha ha. They all just sat there patiently as I called their names and tried to give them a treat. I felt terrible, but I eventually got them to take the treats. Just shows how well behaved these guys are.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
They sound like oversized catnip toys! Cat party at your house!

Minus the bags would they actually eat tobacco?

I have a dog that licks up the occasional pieces off the floor, but he eats dust bunnies - at least we don't need one of those robot cleaner doohickies.
Yeah, my dogs will scrounge for pretty much anything dropped on the floor. I'm very careful with my tobacco, but I have no doubt that they have picked up a tiny piece here or there.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
It’s more a concern, it hasn’t happened. One of my cats seems to eat anything, plastics especially, so this is a step of prevention. Also, they might knock over an open bowl of drying tobacco, so that’s another reason.
My worry, is my cat knocking my piped off the cabinet. Atleast those not inside of it. And getting cat hair in my drying tobacco. I have a wood tray that I use, that has a magnetic lid on it, that still dries the tobacco quickly.

And getting cat hair in my drying tobacco.
I think that I have smoked more cat and dog hair than tobacco over the years. It has also worked its way into the fabric of everything I own. My socks last all of 15 minutes from taking them out of the new plastic to becoming woven with cat and dog hair. It's just a part of me now.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Hell, my cat wouldn't eat anything less that human grade ham. She turned her nose up at everything else. Wouldn't eat that unless it was very fresh.

Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 1.27.22 PM.png

Don't let the sweet little floofball fool you.

Cuteness and adorability were her main weapons.

"Don't tease her" said kcghost to a guy who was intent on getting a reaction by tickling her foot. He couldn't resist the allure of the sweet little kitty on the shelf next to him within arm's reach, you see.

The human tried again.

kcghost advised a second time that it was a bad idea.

But the human persisted, unable to resist the adorable floofball's floofy foot. A little touch here, another touch there... he wanted to interact with the kitty.

Then, without warning, he jerked his hand back at supersonic speed and stared in awe at a drop of blood on his thumb.

The floofball didn't even shift position, never mind get up or leave. She just glared at the inferior lifeform/human for a moment and slowly turned her head away. The photons reflected by him were clearly of a disagreeable type.

"Some people just don't listen," said kcghost.

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
I hung my drying tobacco leaves in the garage. Only one of our kitties likes to go there and she's left them alone. None of them bother the tobacco plants that were brought indoors to our "sun room" where grow lights are located this good news
My cat, Smokey, does not like it when I smoke. His name belies his true nature, I suppose. Every now and then, he will crawl into my lap or let his curiosity get the better of him, but once I get some smoke going, he dips.

But the muslin bag thing is a good idea. I don't worry about Smokey eating my tobacco, but I wouldn't want to take the chance, and he may always decide to play with it, etc. Thankfully, I just keep mine rolled up in a paper towel and inside my roll-top desk. He can't get in there that way.

The bigger issue I find is that cat hair creeps into everything, my pipes included. A part of my pre-smoke ritual is to make sure no errant cat hairs found their way inside the chamber of my pipe. It's an annoyance, but a small price to pay for having such a fine companion.
#catlyfe 🤣

• Love
Reactions: K.E. Powell