PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
I’m a relatively new pipe smoker (approaching 1 full year) and have noticed lately that I have been really short of breath, like I can’t get a full breath. This has been going on for probably a month now which is strange because I’m really quite fit and have never had any lung issues before (not to toot my own horn). I don’t inhale, I only retrohale. I’ve been smoking primarily Virginia (some VaPer) and English blends lately and have found that usually a couple of hours later begin to feel tight in the chest like I can’t fully inhale and when I exhale, it feels like someone is squeezing the air out of my lungs. Additionally, usually get a crazy itchy throat about an hour after smoking. I’ll usually smoke in the morning before work or at night before bed or sometimes both. Do you think this tightness of breath has to do with tobacco? Anyone else experience this and have workarounds? I absolutely adore this hobby and is one of the few things that keeps me going in life so I really don’t want to give it up.

Briar’s Echo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 15, 2022
Lancaster County PA
First have you been tested for COVID? Shortness of breath is a cause of concern but following smoking a couple hours later is weird. If you don’t smoke for a couple of days do you experience the SOB?

Reactions: anotherbob

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I'm allergic to Burley. I was told 20% of pipe smokers are. My mouth swells. Maybe you're getting your own second hand smoke. Try using the Hepa machines where you smoke or smoke outside for a while and see of that helps.

Reactions: fishmansf

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
First have you been tested for COVID? Shortness of breath is a cause of concern but following smoking a couple hours later is weird. If you don’t smoke for a couple of days do you experience the SOB?
I haven’t though I don’t think I am. This has been going on for longer than a normal bout of it would last. I haven’t played around with it much but I might take a break for a couple of days and see if that makes a difference. Im wondering if it could be anxiety as well. I had a health scare recently but was given the clear about a week ago but I would have thought it would have left by then. Another thing I’m wondering is if I have asthma since usually OTC allergy meds don’t help my symptoms.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It sounds like an allergy, but the only way to know is to see a M.D. allergist. There are lots of health gurus who will diagnose a health problem, but I'd stick with the degreed and scientific for a preliminary baseline assessment, to not get into the weeds. Or it could be a problem not related to pipe smoking. Or it could be an allergy related to a specific tobacco or flavoring. A good allergy diagnostician could suss it out. They'd probably do skin test trying different possible allergens and go from there. Asthma is also a definite possibility; the difference between it and allergies is nuanced, but it is a separate illness.

Otherwise, you probably need to stop smoking altogether, give it some time, and then carefully, from time to time, try specific blends and specific pipes to see if this happens again. Are any of your pipes made of unusual woods or materials? Those can be problematical and be directly toxic, not allergens as such.

Also, consider if you have started eating any new foods or have any other new exposures at home or at work or recreationally that might be causing this problem.

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
I'm allergic to Burley. I was told 20% of pipe smokers are. My mouth swells. Maybe you're getting your own second hand smoke. Try using the Hepa machines where you smoke or smoke outside for a while and see of that helps.
That’s strange indeed. How did they test you for it?

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
It sounds like an allergy, but the only way to know is to see a M.D. allergist. There are lots of health gurus who will diagnose a health problem, but I'd stick with the degreed and scientific for a preliminary baseline assessment, to not get into the weeds. Or it could be a problem not related to pipe smoking. Or it could be an allergy related to a specific tobacco or flavoring. A good allergy diagnostician could suss it out. They'd probably do skin test trying different possible allergens and go from there.

Otherwise, you probably need to stop smoking altogether, give it some time, and then carefully, from time to time, try specific blends and specific pipes to see if this happens again. Are any of your pipes made of unusual woods or materials? Those can be problematical and be directly toxic, not allergens as such.

Also, consider if you have started eating any new foods or have any other new exposures at home or at work or recreationally that might be causing this problem.
Wow, I feel blessed to have such an honored guest comment on my post 😂. I think it is probably allergies. I’m going to take a break for a few days and see if that helps.

I smoke out of a couple of Peterson and a couple of stanwell estate pipes I got. I’ll get an appt scheduled with my doc and see if they can rule anything out.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
That’s strange indeed. How did they test you for it?
I didn't test for it, someone here diagnosed me lol. They were right though. Everytime I smoke Burley I get what I thought was severe tongue bite, but it was an allergy. Ive heard of Virginia allergy too. Burley is the most common. Could also be a topping or casing. I would buy something I've never had and smoke it outside. See what happens, then smoke it again inside and see what happens. That will at least narrow it down to either a second hand problem, or one of your favorite blends having something in common you can narrow down even more.

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
I didn't test for it, someone here diagnosed me lol. They were right though. Everytime I smoke Burley I get what I thought was severe tongue bite, but it was an allergy. Ive heard of Virginia allergy too. Butley is the most common. Could also be a topping or casing. I would buy something I've never had and smoke it outside. See what happens, then smoke it again inside and see what happens. That will at least narrow it down to either a second hand problem, or one of your favorite blends having something in common you can narrow down even more.
Lol, save some money from going to the doc. I don’t smoke aromatics, lately, only Capstan Blue, Old Dublin, a Sutliff VaPer blend that I can’t remember the name of, and that’s it. I only smoke outside as well since I live in an appt. Just go out on the porch and puff.

Reactions: Coreios

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Lol, save some money from going to the doc. I don’t smoke aromatics, lately, only Capstan Blue, Old Dublin, a Sutliff VaPer blend that I can’t remember the name of, and that’s it. I only smoke outside as well since I live in an appt. Just go out on the porch and puff.
Yeah lol. I don't know much else except, maybe the way you're smoking or breathing, even more so if you're a clencher is inhaling and you don't realize it. Or maybe it's not pipe related and you're exposed to something else you haven't noticed yet. I know how you feel not wanting to give it up. Hope you figure it out. If you do please report back so you can educate us to help others.

Reactions: fishmansf

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
You have or anyone in you family have history of acid reflux? Ask the doc if back of your throat looks irritated, and chance of acid reflux.
Yeah my dad does actually and is on meds for it. I’ve wondered this as well since some days during the waking hours I’ll feel a feeling in my throat that feels like a sharp pain like food caught in my esophagus which I’m told is a symptom of GERD. The weird part is that with my throat, it’ll start itching whether I’m awake or asleep and I don’t detect any stomach acids coming up.

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
I haven’t though I don’t think I am. This has been going on for longer than a normal bout of it would last. I haven’t played around with it much but I might take a break for a couple of days and see if that makes a difference. Im wondering if it could be anxiety as well. I had a health scare recently but was given the clear about a week ago but I would have thought it would have left by then. Another thing I’m wondering is if I have asthma since usually OTC allergy meds don’t help my symptoms.
I had a period of time that I had really bad shortness of breath. Doctors and allergists thought it was reflux caused by allergies. Meds didn’t work. Turns out it was anxiety. It comes and goes for me now depending on my situation.
I had a health scare last year and the shortness of breath came back too. Ymmv so still is worth getting it checked.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
Yeah lol. I don't know much else except, maybe the way you're smoking or breathing, even more so if you're a clencher is inhaling and you don't realize it. Or maybe it's not pipe related and you're exposed to something else you haven't noticed yet. I know how you feel not wanting to give it up. Hope you figure it out. If you do please report back so you can educate us to help others.
Will do!

Reactions: Coreios

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
I had a period of time that I had really bad shortness of breath. Doctors and allergists thought it was reflux caused by allergies. Meds didn’t work. Turns out it was anxiety. It comes and goes for me now depending on my situation.
I had a health scare last year and the shortness of breath came back too. Ymmv so still is worth getting it checked.
Hmm, that sounds an awful lot like me. Wonder if that’s it. I’ll see what doc has to say and report backZ

Reactions: Briar Tuck