PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

But I'm The Chosen One Harry Potter GIf

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Why would anyone respond to such a stupid obvious con? Well, many must because hundreds of these emails infect devices. I guess if they send out 20K of them, and they get a few hundred takers, they can mine the data and fleece the naive. Same problems with phones in general and with snail mail. A sea of depravity, which sounds like old time religion, but is the very present state of the nation.

Why can't all the bright people in tech and law and commerce figure out a way to deflate and discourage this activity. It wastes time, impedes the online traffic, robs the naive, and lowers the already low level of morality and responsibility of our shared lives.

Some tech "help lines" are set-ups for similar cons. It infuses our lives.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Why would anyone respond to such a stupid obvious con? Well, many must because hundreds of these emails infect devices. I guess if they send out 20K of them, and they get a few hundred takers, they can mine the data and fleece the naive. Same problems with phones in general and with snail mail. A sea of depravity, which sounds like old time religion, but is the very present state of the nation.

Why can't all the bright people in tech and law and commerce figure out a way to deflate and discourage this activity. It wastes time, impedes the online traffic, robs the naive, and lowers the already low level of morality and responsibility of our shared lives.

Some tech "help lines" are set-ups for similar cons. It infuses our lives.

Dealing with scammers in my law office reinforces my Christian belief there must surely be a lake of fire for the wicked after death, that burns but does not consume.

The latest was an elderly client (anyone a decade older than me is elderly these days) who came to the lobby and just couldn’t wait for an appointment.

She clutched a letter in her hands that announced she’d won $50,000 in the Canadian Lottery, and there was a check in her name for $$2,000. All she had to do was call the toll free number to claim the remaining $48,000.

This was a clever scam. It looked like it was from a Canadian lottery, but the postage was from Spain, and the return address was a post office box in the Caymans.

The scam was, the check was no good, and the caller would request a wire transfer for taxes or whatever the mark was gullible enough to wire from a good account.

I used to tell clients to not fall for such scams and let them take the letter, but today I explain the scam and request I keep the letter in case the scammers call and refer their calls to me.

I use them for training of my assistants.

When they see those, send my old client to me to break the bad news, and don’t let them leave with it.

I cannot imagine anyone raised up in an old time Christian home who attended a public school ran by Campbellite elders on the board would ever fall for the idea of something for nothing, but there’s a good measure of people not so privileged, you know?

Last edited: