PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I am smoking a tin from this latest drop. From my experience, the topping is not as prominent as earlier versions. Seems to be the going theme with SG and GH.

Same. I got a tin of 1792 earlier in the year and am positive it was just Lakeland Dark under the 1792 label. Could not detect any tonquin. I just finished a tin from '09 of the stuff that was full of tonquin bean goodness.

Same. I got a tin of 1792 earlier in the year and am positive it was just Lakeland Dark under the 1792 label. Could not detect any tonquin. I just finished a tin from '09 of the stuff that was full of tonquin bean goodness.
See, what if Little Debbie snacks started drowning some of their pastries in icing and sometimes not adding but a drop or two? What is when you ordered a Big Mac, sometimes it was drenched in "special sauce" and other times it had none? What if every time you popped the top on a Coca Cola, you never knew what it was going to taste like, because they just eyeballed the ingredients?

This and their weird excuse that there men out there that couldn't open a tin with a coin, so they just barely closed them in the factory.

I love GH&co, but it's like dealing with a bipolar relative. When they knock on the door, you never know which version of them is going to be there. It could be the really nice guy who would do anything for you, or the one who beats the crap out of you because of some look you may or may not have had on your face.

GH&co, get your shit together, because we love you.

I feel fortunate that I started smoking a pipe this year. I have no frame of reference for what the blend was over a decade ago. I can happily smoke this blend in complete ignorance of what it was.
Just wait till your next tin... these differences are not decades apart. These differences are between each drop.

Out of the eight tins I got from the recent drop, only one was properly sealed. The other seven I could just pop right open with no force whatsoever.
IMO, with a cellar of tins from every tobacco company on the planet... if you can open a tin with your bare hands, the company doesn't give a shit what condition their product is in when you get it. No amount of GH&co gaslighting is going to change my mind on that.

And, like I've said, I really love many of their products... when the ball drops correctly on their weird roulette wheel of chance.

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
IMO, with a cellar of tins from every tobacco company on the planet... if you can open a tin with your bare hands, the company doesn't give a shit what condition their product is in when you get it. No amount of GH&co gaslighting is going to change my mind on that.

And, like I've said, I really love many of their products... when the ball drops correctly on their weird roulette wheel of chance.
I agree completely. From what I've read, their argument for that is that their product isn't meant to be kept in the tin and is meant to be smoked. But what about the stuff that sits on the B&M shelves? The B&M near me usually always has Gawith but I'm hesitant to buy any because you never know if the seal will be intact and how long it's been sitting there. And they come wrapped in plastic now so there's really no way of knowing if there's a seal.

Edited to say, I suppose there's always the shake test

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Out of the eight tins I got from the recent drop, only one was properly sealed. The other seven I could just pop right open with no force whatsoever.
My first tin of it was crushed by the post office, I don't mean opened, I mean nearly folded in half - no idea how they managed that. It also sat in the package for a good 2 months due to covid restrictions meaning I couldn't get it as it was with a colleague. It was amazing to smoke. Then again this was at least 3 years ago so can't comment on today's stuff.

their argument for that is that their product isn't meant to be kept in the tin and is meant to be smoked.
That's what most tobacco companies say. Fortunately, most of the GH&co tobaccos mostly come in bulk. I've sort of stopped buying SG branded stuff from this same company because of these tin issues. And, I am just not in the mood to stay up till midnight to fight with the millennials for the half pound boxes. Too bad they don't just forgo the tins altogether and sell their stuff in bulk bags. That would solve half of their issues for us.
Next they need to get a grip on their recipes.

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
That's what most tobacco companies say. Fortunately, most of the GH&co tobaccos mostly come in bulk. I've sort of stopped buying SG branded stuff from this same company because of these tin issues. And, I am just not in the mood to stay up till midnight to fight with the millennials for the half pound boxes. Too bad they don't just forgo the tins altogether and sell their stuff in bulk bags. That would solve half of their issues for us.
Next they need to get a grip on their recipes.
That's true, though I've never been able to pop a tin with my thumb before haha. I dunno why I'm bitchin anyway, their stuff needs a good airing out to be able to smoke. A crispy tin of Gawith is probably perfect to smoke with no fuss or prep beforehand.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's not for everyone. I've never tried it, but I gave it as a gift and never heard back on that one of several blends I gave to a fellow smoker. In the future, I'd suggest buying just one tin of a blend before buying several.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
But what about the stuff that sits on the B&M shelves? The B&M near me usually always has Gawith but I'm hesitant to buy any because you never know if the seal will be intact and how long it's been sitting there. And they come wrapped in plastic now so there's really no way of knowing if there's a seal.

Edited to say, I suppose there's always the shake test

If you can pick up a tin and feel it in your hands, you should be able to get something of an idea. A tin with a good vacuum will have noticeable concavity (feels "sucked-in") to the top and bottom. A tin with little to no vacuum will feel "flatter", like one that you had opened and closed again.

On a good tin, I also observe the top of the tin bending inward where the lip meets the lid, but the new plastic wrap obscures this somewhat. If I weren't having technical issues right now, I'd post pictures of my good Mac Baren and SG tins to illustrate this stuff!

Last edited:
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
If you can pick up a tin and feel it in your hands, you should be able to get something of an idea. A tin with a good vacuum will have noticeable concavity (feels "sucked-in") to the top and bottom. A tin with little to no vacuum will feel "flatter", like one that you had opened and closed again.

I also observe the top of the tin bending inward where the lip meets the lid, but the new plastic wrap obscures this somewhat. If I weren't having technical issues right now, I'd post pictures of my good Mac Baren and SG tins to illustrate this stuff!
I haven't noticed any vacuum in any of my latest tins from them. The lids just fall off when you remove that plastic. I used to fervently argue that putting tins into jars was a waste of money, but the Gawith Factory has changed that argument for me. Now, I just don't buy it unless it is in bulk.

The rest of my cellar, I still stand by checking seals by trying to pry them open with bare hands. NO OTHER COMPANY makes their tins as loose as Gawith. I have tins with 20+ years of age on them that I still cannot pry open. I keep a paint can key in my cellar for popping tins. Or, in a pinch a quarter will do.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I think some people are more sensitive to the topping than others, it’s always been very subtle to my palate. Anyway, it’s definitely one of my all time favorites! Nothing like it, and it really hits the spot first thing in the morning with a cupa coffee!

Chaukisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
@UB 40 sent me two flakes of that, I really enjoyed it. But man, those are some thick flakes.
I must've been rubbing and crunching for 10 minutes before I felt like I could smoke it. Probably didn't help that it was my very first exposure to a flake cut.
Nonetheless, I'd gladly buy a tin. But apparently we Germans can't get it anymore since Brexit.

Reactions: UB 40
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I haven't noticed any vacuum in any of my latest tins from them. The lids just fall off when you remove that plastic. I used to fervently argue that putting tins into jars was a waste of money, but the Gawith Factory has changed that argument for me. Now, I just don't buy it unless it is in bulk.
Two of the SG tins I got recently (April/May 2022 date codes) do have a healthy "sucked-in" feeling to me, so unless they were tinned in Denver, I do believe they're making something of an effort to vacuum-seal them. I plan to check them periodically and report back if they do fail at some point.

If I'd had your luck, I'd totally feel the same! It sucks when you spend good money and can't put your trust into these things.

Piping Rooster

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2022
Champa Bay
The 3 tins of 1792 I just recieved all have a good vacuum seal on them, with concaved tops and bottoms. I have some Squadron leader tins that I need to check from earlier in the year that don't seem to be as concaved as the 1792s.