PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DrTeeth

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2022
Indiana
shiftdrinkpodcast.com
I was having a discussion with a colleague at a party a few years ago. We were talking about bucket list destinations that raised the eyebrows of friends and family. His response was North Korea. Which, I have to say, even raised my eyebrows. Haha!

The fun part of that story is that the late, great Cliff Robinson was at the party we were attending. I remembered that he had visited North Korea with Dennis Rodman. So, we walked over and got to hear all about traveling around North Korea with Kim Jong Un as the tour guide. Strange tales, indeed.

But, I digress. What travel destination is on your bucket list that seems “weird” to your friends, family, or culture?

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Just like many americans seem to think Europe is a destination, so many europeans think America is one. I'd like to see America, but that would take years and I know I can never do that.
I'd settle for a trip to Louisiana, the bayou, get to taste the food and listen to some of the music. I don't know anyone who shares that sentiment. Around here, people think America is either New York, some beach with surfers or Nashville.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's a game I play when I get stuck waiting somewhere, trying to think of unusual places I'd really like to go. It's not unusual, but I had let Paris go for many years, and then my wife and I made the trip, and I loved it -- food, wine, setting, culture. My late wife wanted to go to Amsterdam, some place I had never been, and it turned out to be pretty wonderful. Same with Ireland.

Other places have not been so dramatic, but I've found them fascinating. A few smaller cities like Indianapolis with its speedway, and Cincinnati and Covington on facing banks of the Ohio River were unique and welcoming. I've enjoyed New York City far more than I expected to, with a good travel companion who knew were to go and what to avoid.

The best unusual place I've ever been was Midway Island, with its WWII history and its vast wildlife nesting grounds. I was there for eight months and got to see the whole nesting process of the Laysan albatross, eggs to migration, chicks learning to fly, their mating and socializing dance. The Navy had a whole village going out there, bowling alley, movie theater, little league ... Mayberry on an atoll coral reef. The Navy base closed, and you can't even get there as a tourist any more, so it was a never-to-be-had-again experience.

DrTeeth

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2022
Indiana
shiftdrinkpodcast.com
Just like many americans seem to think Europe is a destination, so many europeans think America is one. I'd like to see America, but that would take years and I know I can never do that.
I'd settle for a trip to Louisiana, the bayou, get to taste the food and listen to some of the music. I don't know anyone who shares that sentiment. Around here, people think America is either New York, some beach with surfers or Nashville.
My wife is from Thailand and is still flabbergasted with the size of and various cultures within the USA

DrTeeth

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2022
Indiana
shiftdrinkpodcast.com
I think NK or Russia would have to be a true "bucket list" destination for me, because I wouldn't be able to shake the concern that something would go wrong and I'd be stuck there forever.
My desire is Iran. Would love to fly into Tehran and travel south. But there is also that nagging feeling that my blue passport would immediately mark me as a political target. One day, though. I have a few Persian friends that promise to take me.

DrTeeth

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2022
Indiana
shiftdrinkpodcast.com
It's a game I play when I get stuck waiting somewhere, trying to think of unusual places I'd really like to go. It's not unusual, but I had let Paris go for many years, and then my wife and I made the trip, and I loved it -- food, wine, setting, culture. My late wife wanted to go to Amsterdam, some place I had never been, and it turned out to be pretty wonderful. Same with Ireland.

Other places have not been so dramatic, but I've found them fascinating. A few smaller cities like Indianapolis with its speedway, and Cincinnati and Covington on facing banks of the Ohio River were unique and welcoming. I've enjoyed New York City far more than I expected to, with a good travel companion who knew were to go and what to avoid.

The best unusual place I've ever been was Midway Island, with its WWII history and its vast wildlife nesting grounds. I was there for eight months and got to see the whole nesting process of the Laysan albatross, eggs to migration, chicks learning to fly, their mating and socializing dance. The Navy had a whole village going out there, bowling alley, movie theater, little league ... Mayberry on an atoll coral reef. The Navy base closed, and you can't even get there as a tourist any more, so it was a never-to-be-had-again experience.
I live in Indy. It’s easy to forget what it’s like NOT having a giant race in your backyard once a year.

Reactions: Zero

DrTeeth

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2022
Indiana
shiftdrinkpodcast.com
As a card carrying Catholic it's Vatican City.
Otherwise, Liverpool as that's where my paternal side comes from. And as another forum member. I want to hike the Camino de Santiago in Spain. That will take some planning and moola.
As a card carrying atheist, I even I was FLOORED by St. Peter’s. So much that I’ve been back twice since. It’s so grand that it’s hard to comprehend.