PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
We've got rain predicted for the next three days, and that has me thinking aboutcomforting home made soup.
Chicken noodle soup, Vegetable beef soup, Minestrone soup, Split pea, Beef or chicken Barley soup, Lemon noodle soup,
all kinds of soup!
On cold days I'll make soup for supper and get fresh crusty bread from a local bakery two blocks away (2-fer-1 after 5:30 pm)
then a brisk walk home and life is pretty grand.
It's economical too. One Costco rotisserie chicken makes a lot of chicken soup.
The trick is to cook the noodles separately and add them to the bowl, then add the soup.
Cook the noodles with the soup and you'll end up with a slimy mess for leftovers.
Make stock from the skin and bones and you'll have a jumpstart on your next soup soiree.

What kinds of soups do you make at home?

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I use rotisserie chicken in a variety of quick dishes, like chicken noodle soup, Mexican tortilla soup, white chili, and vegetable soup.

Frozen vegetables are my go to, but I make a mean cauliflower soup from fresh heads (and a little curry powder).

My standard is more of a chicken pot pie soup with cream of chicken soup, rotisserie chicken, and mixed vegetables. Top with canned biscuits and you have a hearty meal in no time (or frozen pierogies to create chicken and dumplings).

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
We've got rain predicted for the next three days, and that has me thinking aboutcomforting home made soup.
Chicken noodle soup, Vegetable beef soup, Minestrone soup, Split pea, Beef or chicken Barley soup, Lemon noodle soup,
all kinds of soup!
On cold days I'll make soup for supper and get fresh crusty bread from a local bakery two blocks away (2-fer-1 after 5:30 pm)
then a brisk walk home and life is pretty grand.
It's economical too. One Costco rotisserie chicken makes a lot of chicken soup.
The trick is to cook the noodles separately and add them to the bowl, then add the soup.
Cook the noodles with the soup and you'll end up with a slimy mess for leftovers.
Make stock from the skin and bones and you'll have a jumpstart on your next soup soiree.

What kinds of soups do you make at home?
Wow ! Exactly what I do too ! Having lentil currently. Chicken later in week !
I always add a little olive oil and garlic but just enough to barely taste not overpower.
Frozen veggies also --- the store brand with lima beans and corn and string beans, peas, carrots.
When really motivated --- onion, parsnip and kale --- but not too much kale as I'm not at that point yet !

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Mmmmm, my wife's Mexican chicken soup from a Costco rotisserie chicken that I am commissioned to rip into bite sized pieces. It uses commonly available ingredients and is freaking delicious.
Man........... you can't just post this and leave us all hangin'
We need the list of "commonly available ingredients" and an instruction sheet............ 😉

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
When it's COLD outside, and the snow is on the ground, my favorite soup is homemade split pea with smoked ham. Have to add a generous portion of chopped onion to the mix............ good stuff and sticks to the ribs. Makes the BEST "Dutch Oven" if you are into that sort of thing............. (me and the missuss have separate beds because of it!)........... 🤷‍♂️

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Man........... you can't just post this and leave us all hangin'
We need the list of "commonly available ingredients" and an instruction sheet............ 😉
Half a jar of green salsa, a little cumin, can of diced tomatoes, can of rinsed white kidney beans, a quart or so of chickenstock, half of a Costco chicken.
Put the salsa in a pan and heat it with a sprinkle of cumin and the combine all ingredients. Enrich it by adding some grated Parmesan cheese, a squeeze of line juice and a cup or so of frozen corn. Simmer until hot. Garnish with shredded cheese and sour cream and scallions. Crushed tortillas on top.
Easy and delicious!

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
I’m more of a chili or gumbo guy but I make a pretty mean cream of asparagus soup
When it's COLD outside, and the snow is on the ground, my favorite soup is homemade split pea with smoked ham. Have to add a generous portion of chopped onion to the mix............ good stuff and sticks to the ribs. Makes the BEST "Dutch Oven" if you are into that sort of thing............. (me and the missuss have separate beds because of it!)........... 🤷‍♂️
I love split pea soup but I’ve never made it. May have to try to this week.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Half a jar of green salsa, a little cumin, can of diced tomatoes, can of rinsed white kidney beans, a quart or so of chickenstock, half of a Costco chicken.
Put the salsa in a pan and heat it with a sprinkle of cumin and the combine all ingredients. Enrich it by adding some grated Parmesan cheese, a squeeze of line juice and a cup or so of frozen corn. Simmer until hot. Garnish with shredded cheese and sour cream and scallions. Crushed tortillas on top.
Easy and delicious!
Thanks Edger!
Noted, and will try this soon!

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Hmmmm soup. We have 2 kids that are soup-heads, before they were pretty basic tomato soup (saute onions, garlic, large carrot, thyme, tomato paste and let it cook with tomatoes, blender and put a little cooking cream in it). Now they want to try more exotic soups like Indonesian peanut soup and yesterday we had a delicious leek and parsnip with garam marsala spices soup. If it's really cold splitpea soup simmered all day is delicious. And it indeed is economic.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
My top 3 are lentil, chicken noodle, and my favorite, minestrone. Back in my early days on the forum (which sounds weird to say, because it was only about two years ago), I posted this thread about it, recipe and all. Perfect for snowy nights, and a great opening course for almost any dinner, although pairing it with something Italian like eggplant parmesan is pretty special.

I prefer making chicken noodle using the carcass of a whole chicken. Cook that in the soup, pick it clean, and put the meat back in just before it's done. To the OP: you've got a good point about the noodles...I only cook them in it for the last 15 mins. or so, comes out perfect that way.