PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

K.E. Powell

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Novice smoker with no palette yet, but I enjoyed a bowl of HB today. Have to agree with 8ball that it was very easy to keep lit. Relaxing and enjoyable, easy smoke. So far I've tried Early Morning Pipe, PS23 B&B, Sutliff Black Cordial and Pirate Kake. This and Early Morning Pipe have been my favorites so far. Just trying to get a taste for the different blends at this point but prefer the English blends and the Burleys over the aromatics so far. Have some Sun Bear Mountain Flower I am looking forward to trying next.
If you enjoyed Early Morning Pipe, try GL Pease's Chelsea Morning. It's like EMP, but with a dash of perique and a bit more flavor.

K.E. Powell

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Haunted Bookshop seems to be a real love it or hate it blend. Personally, I love it. I hesitate to use this analogy, because I'm not a coffee guy, but to me, HB is like a cup of strong black coffee. It isn't complex or daring, but that is to its strength and not its detriment. Like the coffee, HB is about providing a burley bomb of smooth buttery and earthy goodness with a nice nicotine jolt (like a caffeine jolt), with a nice portion of perique to set it off. It's not necessarily my favorite burley blend, but it's a top 5 and fills a niche others can't.

It's kind of weird to admit that HB is a blend I smoke when I need a pick-me-up. 95% of the time I'm smoking, I am relaxing. But I find if my spirits sag and I'm tired but feel like smoking? HB sees me through.

I have t admit to purchasing a tin a few weeks ago. Loaded up a big old Peterson XL315 last Sunday. Beautiful afternoon with a bit much wind. Anyway, the flavors were excellent; rich burley, touch of sweet VA and the fruitiness of the perique. The pipe proved too big for the smoker - nic hit was a bit more like a nic kick. Strangely, it keeps beckoning me back, with a slightly smaller pipe and a lazier day...

From SE Nebraska,

KruegerFlap

Might Stick Around
Dec 3, 2021
Ohio
Haunted Bookshop is my surprise desert island blend. I first tried it a few years back because of all the recommendations it gets and at first wasn't blown away by it. But over time I found myself coming back to it time and again. It has everything I want in a smoking experience, ease of smoking, great flavors, enough vitamin N, and it's available in bulk everywhere almost all the time. It's a simple blend that doesn't over promise or under deliver in my book 👍

TheDesertPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2021
Arizona
I bought a single tin of this and smoked one bowl right away and I didn't care for it. Its been in a jar aging up for a while now. Maybe ill give it another shot after it gets some more age on it.

Reactions: KruegerFlap

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
Haunted Bookshop seems to be a real love it or hate it blend. Personally, I love it. I hesitate to use this analogy, because I'm not a coffee guy, but to me, HB is like a cup of strong black coffee. It isn't complex or daring, but that is to its strength and not its detriment. Like the coffee, HB is about providing a burley bomb of smooth buttery and earthy goodness with a nice nicotine jolt (like a caffeine jolt), with a nice portion of perique to set it off. It's not necessarily my favorite burley blend, but it's a top 5 and fills a niche others can't.

It's kind of weird to admit that HB is a blend I smoke when I need a pick-me-up. 95% of the time I'm smoking, I am relaxing. But I find if my spirits sag and I'm tired but feel like smoking? HB sees me through.
This sold me on it. I picked up a tin of HB on my order at smoking pipes today based on what you wrote.

Reactions: K.E. Powell

deadidunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2020
Hineston, LA
I have a couple oz that I bought from bulk at a local shop. I just can't seem to like it much. I get very little flavor and it seems flat from 3/4 bowl and down. I've tried wider bowls, as suggested here, but still a no-go. I have a few tins also; I think I may crack one open and see if perhaps it is the bulk tobacco I purchased from that is the issue.
So..... i tossed the 1.5 oz of bulk HB i had and cracked open a new tin. That made the difference, i get the nutty spiciness of it and it lasts the whole bowl, no flatness. Idk what was up with bulk purchase from a local shop, but it was no good.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I admittedly hated HB when I first tried it. After some time to mellow out, it's become a go to when I want a VaPer like smoke with an extra kick of burley. To me the Virginias are up front and center.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I love the stuff but will admit it looses something and picks up an acrid cigarette taste if you get it really hot. A slow cool smoke is beautiful though.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Not every blend has to be a mega-hit. I find HB to be a mild Burley and tasty when the mood stikes. I am not really a Burley guy, though, so that may factor into my opinion.

Ora Pro Nobis

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2020
Someone said that nobody likes HB the first time around. That was my experience too. But I came back to it and came to love it. I also love OJK, but really really dislike OJK Blue
So far this is me. I've only had a couple of bowls, but it has thus far been underwhelming. I will keep smoking it. I am curious about it.