PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Short story - Ive never smoked any McClelland blends: should I try the McClelland tins I have or not?

So I didnt start exploring different brands, blends, or varietals, and I definitely didnt start cellaring, until after McClelland closed up shop. I didnt know much about any brands or blends so I wanted to try as many different things as I could to see what my likes and dislikes are. Ive found Im much more of a Virginia, VAPer, and quality vanilla aromatic fan, although I do like some orientals and rarely an English blend. Ive heard nothing but rave reviews of McClelland since they stopped production, especially about the magic McClelland had with Virginias.
Ive managed to snag 6-8 different different tins of McClelland since they stopped production. This brings me to my dilemma: should I start smoking my sparse stash of McClelland, knowing that I will unlikely be able replace what Ive got, or not smoke any McClelland ever (ignorance is bliss type mentality)? Ill be curious to see how many replies I get along of the lines of "dont smoke your tins, send/sell the tins to me". Ha
Im leaning towards smoking what Ive got, and trying to collect more McClelland tins, when and if, I could find/afford them. My to-try list for McClelland includes: 5100, Avenue Blend TQ, CORPS Vanilla, Deep Hallow, and Vanilla Black Cavendish.
Any insights or suggestions would be appreciated. Im thankful to be a part of this awesome community.
A dilemma indeed!

Smoke the Va's, if of course you've got any.
Sell the stuff you don't favor & invest in tobacco that you do like.
I've never tried any McClelland tobacco, so feel free to completely ignore my comments. But I believe its what I would do. If you consider what McClelland tobacco is commanding these days, its kind of a no brainer.

Chalaw87

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2021
Northeast TN
McClelland made lots of excellent blends but the ones that set them apart, at least IMHO, were their Virginia blends. You didn't say what you already had but I would recommend trying the 40th Anniversary, the Christmas Cheers (whichever years you have or can lay your hands on), the numbered Virginia Blends (Virginia No 22, 24, 25, 27), possibly Blackwoods Flake and St James Woods (IMHO, one of the top 2 or 3 VaPer blends ever). 3 Oaks and Tudor Castle are also rather special but that's just MHO.
Awesome. I really appreciate the recommendations. So far Ive snagged a tin of 40th Anniversary and Christmas Cheer. Ill start hunting for the others you suggested.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
personally I'd rather sell them and spend that money on buying other blends I haven't tried. You know especially if you're searching for your standards at the moment. I think that will get more mileage and joy. Though I like trying new blends and all that. I really could be happy with almost anything. Sure I got preferences but the biggest ones is that it's tobacco.

Reactions: Spa32

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Never got to smoke any McClelland in my clay pipes as I bought my first clay the year they closed down, until I managed a clay bowl of McClelland at Nottingham pipe show. Great 👌 show, good 👍 company, beer 🍺 and tobacco - everything a Redcoat could wish for:)

chellams

Lurker
Sep 23, 2022
South Carolina
I was able to smoke quite a few different McClelland’s blends over the years before they closed shop. My advice would be if you’re able to fund your smoking habit regularly, then smoke what you have. But if you have to save to fund your smoking habit, sell them and use the money to build your cellar but save a tin of one of their Virginia tobaccos for special occasions

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas

I think this new article may help you in your decision as well.

Reactions: ThermionicScott