PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
There aren't many blends that I utterly loathe, and I am hesitant to swear off any blend to everyone because tastes vary wildly. But there are a few that come to mind. For me, the blends I usually don't recommend are those that aren't necessarily bad, but are done better by competitors or are not worth the price of admission.

When it comes to codger blends, most of the Borkum Riff stuff is not satisfying. The whiskey blend in particular comes across as being acrid and without body. There are so many other OTC blends out there, and most of them are preferable to BR.

Also, and I say this as a person who actually enjoys Plum Pudding, but most of the Seattle Pipe Club blends are overpriced and overhyped. A lot of kitchen sink blends that don't hit the mark, especially when they are asking around $20 for a 2oz. tin. Again, none of the ones I tried are necessarily bad, but yea.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
LOVE Haddo's Delight!

We have done this dance a number of times.

Basically, I don't like Penzance; Germain's version of Balkan Sobranie is an abomination against nature; after experiencing some really bad Virginia in the 2021 release of Esoterica Dunbar, I'm done with the Esoterica blends. I've got plenty of earlier releases, which are generally excellent.

With the exception of Yorktown, Bijou, and a few other blends I avoid C&D.

Recent releases of HU Makhuwa taste like crap compared to the blend of 5 years ago. Same goes for HU 5th Anniversary blend and Edward G. Love the older releases, before the manufacturer starting swapping out contents.

The STG version of Escudo is bland and mediocre. It doesn't improve with age. Frankly, it doesn't age worth a damn, so don't waste your time.

Other than that I've disliked about 90% of what I've tried over the years.

It's all individual opinions, and of no particular merit. Try blends out and see what works for you. If one is making up one's mind based on what others think, one probably don't have much of a mind to begin with.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Sutliff 515 RC-1. Nearly needed therapy after trying it. Easily dethroned the previous spot holder, C&D Autumn Evening.
I like both of those blends. However, on the bad side for me: Rattray Bagpiper's Dream and Exotic Passion, Capt. Black Grape, Visions of Celephais, Haddo's delight, Vauen Shire (the pineapple one is just awful) and, a recent entry Sutliff Halloween Candy Apple is pretty darn insipid. Rarely have met a virginia or virginia flake which is terrible enough to be included on this list.

Reactions: SaxonX

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I like both of those blends. However, on the bad side for me: Rattray Bagpiper's Dream and Exotic Passion, Capt. Black Grape, Visions of Celephais, Haddo's delight, Vauen Shire (the pineapple one is just awful) and, a recent entry Sutliff Halloween Candy Apple is pretty darn insipid. Rarely have met a virginia or virginia flake which is terrible enough to be included on this list.
Yeah, Exotic Passion is disappointing for sure.

Reactions: jackets