PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Piping Rooster

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2022
Champa Bay
I emailed Case knives asking about their thoughts on making pipe tools and discussing current trends in the market. I've been carrying Case knives since I was a boy ever since my Grandfather gave me one of his.

Got a response back from Case and maybe (🤞) we'll be seeing them in the future. I can only hope.Screenshot_20221006_104650.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This very thing came up a few years ago on another forum regarding modifying the stockman into a pipe knife. This was the response.

"That would be a brand new knife and if the President of the company was
interested it would mean all new tooling also, so your costs would be
roughly $5,000.00 for the tooling and the minimum order size would be
500 knives."

Piping Rooster

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2022
Champa Bay
This very thing came up a few years ago on another forum regarding modifying the stockman into a pipe knife. This was the response.

"That would be a brand new knife and if the President of the company was
interested it would mean all new tooling also, so your costs would be
roughly $5,000.00 for the tooling and the minimum order size would be
500 knives."
Chump change for a company that size. They way people in this hobby buy things up especially new or limited releases, they'd have that money back in a week or two. One release a year with just a scale change each year is all they'd have to do and they'd sell like hot cakes. $50x500! Ask Peterson, they'll tell ya!

Reactions: Streeper541

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Chump change for a company that size. They way people in this hobby buy things up especially new or limited releases, they'd have that money back in a week or two. One release a year with just a scale change each year is all they'd have to do and they'd sell like hot cakes. $50x500! Ask Peterson, they'll tell ya!
I’d prefer my knife not to have a coating!

• Haha
Reactions: Piping Rooster

Piping Rooster

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2022
Champa Bay
We're that the case, everyone would be using Rattray‘s and Laguiole pipe knives. Many don't use a pipe tool or tamper.
Laguiole and Rattrays are expensive. As much as I'd like one, just like my pipe purchases, I have no justification spending that much on a single item. Ashton and Dunhill are beautiful pipes, but they don't sell nearly as many as Peterson or Savinelli. The market has a void in pipe tools in that price range ($50-$80) that Case could easily fill and be succesful.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Make it members only for this forum with post count of 200 or something. The resale value would be crazy in few years. Anyone collecting pocket knives will pick them up in no time. There are plenty of knife collectors here already. Just make sure the main blade is clip point x)

Reactions: Streeper541

Piping Rooster

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2022
Champa Bay
Make it members only for this forum with post count of 200 or something. The resale value would be crazy in few years. Anyone collecting pocket knives will pick them up in no time. There are plenty of knife collectors here already. Just make sure the main blade is clip point x)
Try finding a Great Eastern Cutlery knife at retail right now! Bet you can't! The pipe market is just as crazy. Look at what limited or out of production tobaccos sell for.

As for blade type I was thinking a Barlow. Throw on some Briar burl scales... Fire sale!

Reactions: trudger

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I suspect Case has a great understanding of their target market. Pipe tools probably won't tempt them to alter their market strategy. They'd have the expenses of tooling up and marketing the item to a tiny market as opposed to having their product in just about every sporting goods store in the country.

Me? I have five tampers of assorted sizes on each hand and small Army Knife in a pocket.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
No such thing as chump change to a business.
They know their market better than most.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
You can take almost any small pocket knife and with a grinder shape a blade to make it a pipe tool. You don't want it to have a sharp edge or sharp point, so there is no need for it to be very high quality. I made one from an old cheap pocket knife years ago and have been using it almost every day since. The one in the pic is like mine (mine's cleaner) and I Photoshoped the rounded tip to show how it doesn't cut the pipe. It has a dull edge and I using it for a quick reaming. puffy

s-l1600.jpg