PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
Project_Hail_Mary%2C_First_Edition_Cover_%282021%29.jpg

Project Hail Mary is a 2021 science fiction novel by American novelist Andy Weir. Set in the near future, the novel centers on junior high (middle) school-teacher-turned-astronaut Ryland Grace, who wakes up from a coma afflicted with amnesia. He gradually remembers that he was sent to the Tau Ceti solar system, 12 light-years from Earth, to find a means of reversing a solar dimming event that could cause the extinction of humanity.

Nov 10, 2020
Petersburg, VA
Seriously considering exploring some of his titles and come up with a plan to determine which to read. I'm sure it would be enjoyable.

I'd definitely recommend Innocents Abroad as a good starting point for the non-fiction. I shied away from Twain for years because the fiction seemed so parochial to me but the non-fiction really opened my perspective on him and helped me not think of him as a kid's book writer when I did come back to the fiction.

ChonkyTonks

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2022
Philly
Project_Hail_Mary%2C_First_Edition_Cover_%282021%29.jpg

Project Hail Mary is a 2021 science fiction novel by American novelist Andy Weir. Set in the near future, the novel centers on junior high (middle) school-teacher-turned-astronaut Ryland Grace, who wakes up from a coma afflicted with amnesia. He gradually remembers that he was sent to the Tau Ceti solar system, 12 light-years from Earth, to find a means of reversing a solar dimming event that could cause the extinction of humanity.
What a great book. Andy Weir is on of my favs.

Reactions: Akousticplyr

avail

Can't Leave
Oct 13, 2015
Michigan
I'd definitely recommend Innocents Abroad as a good starting point for the non-fiction. I shied away from Twain for years because the fiction seemed so parochial to me but the non-fiction really opened my perspective on him and helped me not think of him as a kid's book writer when I did come back to the fiction.
Thanks. I'm glad to hear the differentiation between fiction/non-fiction, preferring the latter, great help.

K.E. Powell

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Currently re-reading Theodore Draper's "A Struggle for Power: The American Revolution." I was convinced when I first read it, and remained convinced now, that it is the best single-volume history detailing the cause(s) of the American Revolution. It's everything good history should be.

boilerman19

Lurker
Oct 9, 2022
Denied
I have been dealing with anxiety for 8 years now. This is one of 5 books that are suppose to help.

Attachments

• 16653447932928874279117270265526.jpg
    16653447932928874279117270265526.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 4

ChonkyTonks

Jul 14, 2022
Philly
Just started AI 2041 by Kai-Fu Lee. With AI being a core focus in my industry, I figured it would be good to dive in and see what the future may hold.

ChonkyTonks

Jul 14, 2022
Philly
I have been dealing with anxiety for 8 years now. This is one of 5 books that are suppose to help.
My recommendation (current recovering anxietyholic):

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck
Ikigai - The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life
No More Mr. Nice Guy
Man's Search for Meaning - Intense book, but definitely puts suffering into perspective and how you have a choice in what to do with what life gives you.

boilerman19

Lurker
Oct 9, 2022
Denied
My recommendation (current recovering anxietyholic):

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck
Ikigai - The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life
No More Mr. Nice Guy
Man's Search for Meaning - Intense book, but definitely puts suffering into perspective and how you have a choice in what to do with what life gives you.
Funny thing is that was the guy i was before. Somehow i lost that. But i have been better then what i was. Now i just have to hold it lol

Reactions: ChonkyTonks
Status
Not open for further replies.