PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

K.E. Powell

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Yeah The Pens either win it all or take a dump right away, hahaha. Either way, GO PENS!!!!!
Yup. What annoys me is that the problems have been the same every time. Ignoring injuries, the issues are a porous blueline, inconsistent goal tending, and racking up pointless penalties (Malkin, as much as I love him, is notorious for this). We can score all the live long day, but it won't matter if all our talent is collecting CTEs like Bowman's because there ain't any muscle looking out for them.

Reactions: alaskanpiper

GetOffMyLawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2022
Missoula, Montana
I usually get the NHL.tv package. living in Montana there is a shortage of hockey coverage.

I noticed on ESPN+ that they have a lot of games so i may hold off on the NHL package and see what ESPN has to offer.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

jackets

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2017
I usually get the NHL.tv package. living in Montana there is a shortage of hockey coverage.

I noticed on ESPN+ that they have a lot of games so i may hold off on the NHL package and see what ESPN has to offer.
If I remember right from last season they are good for at least one game per day.

Reactions: GetOffMyLawn

jackets

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2017
I've given them alot of thought... even if for no other reason than their the home team. Plus, I believe the Lake Erie Monsters in Cleveland are a feeder team to the Jackets. So, it's a win, win for local hockey.
The team has quite a logjam of young talented players that will be getting time in Cleveland for the next couple of years so that’s a plus. Coming down for games can be relatively inexpensive too. If you decide to do that PM me and I can give you some tips on where to park for free if you don’t mind walking.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
We've been enjoying the preseason games this year. After some deliberation, the wife and I settled on cheering on the "hometeam."

We've been to several Monster's games in Cleveland and were only an hour and a half north of Columbus so I suppose we're officially getting behind the Jackets.
cut~2.png

mickeyg

Lurker
Jul 28, 2015
Let's Go Islanders ! ! !

I was an Original Six Ranger fan. Went to my first Ranger game in February of 1965. They beat the Leafs 6-2, with Marcel Paille in goal. I did want to see Jacques Plante play, but Paille was great...However, I became an Islander fan in their 2nd year 1973-74. Mostly because of their ticket policy. It was almost impossible to get tickets to a Ranger game as they sold everything out to season ticket holders. The Islanders had a policy of holding 15% of each section (100,200,300) for single game sales. So, for the $3.00 cheap seats, plus a buck each to bribe the usher, we sat center ice, 20 rows or so up for quite a few games where they grew on me. Also, it didn't hurt that I lived across the road from Nassau Coliseum where we used to play ice hockey on the frozen sumps in Mitchel Field, years before the Coliseum was built. Also what didn't hurt was their sudden rise to the top in the mid 70s.

Reactions: Servant King

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Preseason wrapped up today for my Kings. They've got some promise, but they'll have to improve their special teams a lot. Another weak point is the defense. Lots of unproven guys filling in around the veterans Edler and Doughty. I also am concerned about their perpetual problem of frequent trips to the penalty box, which inexplicably ties in with inexperienced D-corps. Goaltending looks a bit better, as does team speed. Last concern I have is the coach...after all, he was behind the helm for San Jose when they coughed up a 3-0 series lead against the Kings in the '14 playoffs.

Who knows, though? Maybe I'm wrong to be so skeptical, and things will come together magically, Quick will be like he was a decade ago, and they'll get consistent scoring. I did like today's game; in the past, they'd often crumble like a house of cards after blowing a three-goal lead. But they battled right back. They'll have to do that a lot in this league.

Overall grade: C+

Reactions: kola

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
My youngest son “came out” as an Oiler’s fan. The rest of the family are die-hard Penguins fans and I’m the worst.

I thought, what balls! I forgive him.

Back to the Pens-Maple Leafs game…

Reactions: Servant King

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
My youngest son “came out” as an Oiler’s fan. The rest of the family are die-hard Penguins fans and I’m the worst.

I thought, what balls! I forgive him.

Back to the Pens-Maple Leafs game…
My mom is from the East Liberty neighborhood of Pittsburgh, so I've got a number of extended family in that boat. Haven't visited in years, but when I did, I'd always see at least one #66 jersey out and about.

Of course, I'm reminded once again of the inconsistency of my Kings. They played so well against Edmonton, then in the next game they give up four goals in the 1st period. It always amazes me how the fortunes of a team can change so drastically in the NHL from one game to the next.