PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

lordnantwich

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2022
Rhode Island, USA
nantwichs.etsy.com
Hi everyone - question regarding cleaning/restoring estate pipes.

What is the recommended method to deal with removing excess carbon build up on the rim of the pipe without damaging the finish? I've seen reference to using a magic eraser but in a couple of attempts due to the uneven nature of carbon build up, I've managed to impact the finish in areas with less carbon build up. I'm sure my technique is part of the issue but also wondering if I'm missing a better option?

Thanks in advance

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Hi,
Lukewarm demineralized water on a micro fibre cloth.
Saliva works fine too because of the enzymes. A tad little more harsh to the stain though.
Alternative method; wet the rim ( water/saliva) with a cotton swab and give it quiet. Repeat, repeat and be patient.
Stubborn grime ? Put the stummel upside down in a small flat bottomed dish ( for instance a petri dish ) with just enough water, or saliva, to wet the rim, not more !

This always works for me. Good luck :)

mav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2021
Chicago
I've found saliva or Murphy's oil soap works well. For me the trick is to put a lot on and let it sit there for 3-5 minutes before rubbing off with a bent pipe cleaner or paper towel. Some times you have to do it multiple times.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Don't over filk your pipe. And regularly using the water flush cleaning method is the best thing I've done for preserving the rim. After I flush, I first use the paper towel to clean the rim before cleaning inside the bowl. Has worked great for me.

pauls456

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2020
Tucson, Arizona
Even if you don't overfill, it depends to some extent on your smoking method. If you exhale a lot through the bowl (breath method) there will always be a buildup of carbon on the rim.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Even if you don't overfill, it depends to some extent on your smoking method. If you exhale a lot through the bowl (breath method) there will always be a buildup of carbon on the rim.
Same with just clenching. When not drawing, smoke will rise and pass over the back of the rim.

Reactions: Papamique

runscott

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I use a small pocket knife blade. At an angle, I scrape off a little at a time, wipe with my thumb, then a little more, always at an angle - maybe 10 degrees. I never scratch the rim doing this, or even take off any finish. Surprising probably, but it works.