PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@Chasing Embers : OK I love the pirate and the color is perfect. I have never managed anything like that shade of color and most of mine go that sh*t brown color due to brown twist but that is stunning. I wonder what the stain is they are using. Again the bonus feature of that pipe is that it kills stone dead any conversations about prospective pipe color after smoking 3000 bowls of Clan or whatever. What does it weigh? I had a skull and claw one about 35 years ago I never smoked that was not particularly well executed I gave away which I think at the time I gave £25.00 for if memory serves me right. It was a heavy old thing and about 12 inch long.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

aspiring_sage

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
The problem with that in my dissection experiment was no staining between the airway and the exterior of the pipe. The meerschaum wasn't colored, only the wax.
I didn’t interpret that from the pictures. I’ll have to take your word for it. Maybe what I think I’m seeing is just carbon drug along on the surface during the cutting.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

aspiring_sage

Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
Why fill it with water and not whiskey?
If I get a faucet that distributes whiskey, I might use that one. I only brought it up because I was doing that for a while after reading something about “tobacco tea”.
i’m pretty sure the coloring on the shank of my meer is “real “coloring, it has only been smoked a dozen times but has gotten that treatment.

Far as I know, soot doesn’t dissolve too much better in whiskey than water.

I’m also starting to wonder if the shank colors first (and coloring bowls) because there isn’t a “cake” layer in the shank the same way there is in the bowl.

Last edited:

NC TX ID pipeman

Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
If I get a faucet that distributes whiskey, I might use that one. I only brought it up because I was doing that for a while after reading something about “tobacco tea”.
i’m pretty sure the coloring on the shank of my meer is “real “coloring, it has only been smoked a dozen times but has gotten that treatment.

Far as I know, soot doesn’t dissolve too much better in whiskey than water.

I’m also starting to wonder if the shank colors first (and coloring bowls) because there isn’t a “cake” layer in the shank the same way there is in the bowl.
My pipe I posted on page 8 in the post# 151 did have a cake all around and to the bottom about 2 quarters thick and it has been coloring anyway slowly coming up

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
This one- cake that thick?- Did you remove? Was this pre-colored when you got it?

286757073_5261677107250472_8354290836765740157_n-jpg.152139