PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I’d like to enter this printout of the defendants posting history as exhibit A, your honour.
I was visiting a girl in B.C. like 20 years ago and I smoked cigarettes back then, i was in White Rock so i got a cab to the border, walked across, but 2 cartons at duty free, walked back across, went into the Canadian side office (i had the cartons literally in the sleeves of my jacket while wearing it) he asked me a couple questions and if i had anything to declare, i said nope and he said have a nice day. Then again 20 yrs ago everything was different.

Reactions: Casual

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
About 25 years ago, I made a beer run to Belgium from my then-home in Central New Jersey. I was mostly interested in visiting very small breweries and bringing back bottles to culture. I had about a dozen bottles in my carry-on, all without labels (as is/was common at the time), and marked up with a sharpie. I declared them as yeast samples and the customs guy just gave me weird look and waved me through.

Reactions: JOHN72 and Casual

KBaz

Lurker
Dec 19, 2020
Canadian customs is like Russian roulette. I declare everything - sometimes your way over they waive you through. Sometimes your under and they search you.

You never know which customs agent got in a fight with their spouse before work.

The $40 duties are nothing however in comparison to the penalty. I had a friend “fail to declare” they seized the items and he pretty much gets pulled for search every time he comes back. Not great when catching connections.

Honestly I never buy tobacco when I travel it’s easier just to order it on line.

SpyHill

Might Stick Around
May 3, 2022
Victoria, BC
Canadian customs is like Russian roulette. I declare everything - sometimes your way over they waive you through. Sometimes your under and they search you.

You never know which customs agent got in a fight with their spouse before work.

The $40 duties are nothing however in comparison to the penalty. I had a friend “fail to declare” they seized the items and he pretty much gets pulled for search every time he comes back. Not great when catching connections.

Honestly I never buy tobacco when I travel it’s easier just to order it on line.
I got dinged $70 for 5 ounces after buying online from SP. Trying to avoid that again, although I know smaller orders have better odds of getting through.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I came back from Cuba with well over the customs limit once and told customs it was all personal consumption when they were making accusations that i was brining them back to sell them, which i wasn’t, so i said “look 6 cigars a day, 7 days a week, this is about 3 months of cigars for me. He started to question that i smoked that much and the other customs guy said he smoked 4 cigars a day, they waved me through.

Reactions: JOHN72 and mso489

SpyHill

Might Stick Around
May 3, 2022
Victoria, BC
Certain retailers seem to have “better luck” at getting shipments through customs than others. I use SP for pipes. But not for tobacco.
What do you use for tobacco? I've heard from someone else on the forums that they've had better luck with 4noggins.

Reactions: KBaz

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Travel can be stressful enough without getting perp walked by the customs officers. It takes the glow off the joy of getting away for home for a while. I vote for avoiding hassle.

Reactions: JOHN72 and KBaz

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Regardless of anything else, be honest. It’s still hit and miss, regardless of the laws - it’s all about the person asking you the questions.
I’ve been crossing the border multiple times a week for decades.
My only advice, again, be honest.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
As the other colleagues here say, be honest, and be truthful. I remember a trip to Nepal, they wanted to dismantle all my luggage, I told them I was from the Barcelona soccer club, and it became a party. I passed without any more problems.

Reactions: kcghost

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Oh man... well, thanks for letting the C BS A know that. Please, people, we're not the only ones reading these forums. :rolleyes:
I am not concerned about this. There have been hundreds of posts asking this same question and receiving similar answers over the past decade across various forums, FB, reddit, etc., and it hasn't amounted to any noticeable crackdown. Any competent or driven agent would be able to use a simple Google search to quickly come up with a list of companies to flag. This has not happened.

If the Gov't really wanted to act, they'd be tagging every SP package that crossed the border. As it is, this doesn't happen. In all my experience, I got tagged half the time (I have terrible luck). My buddy has ordered nearly monthly for a few years from them, and only gets hit about 10% of the time. I mean, SP is very clear what they are sending and it is in the name, yet they aren't persecuted extensively.

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
HEY I KNOW THIS GREAT COMPANY THAT WILL LIE ON CUSTOM FORMS!
I don't seek out any company for this reason. Well, I originally did with 4N a few years ago because my orders from SP were continually hit, but then I came to the realization that even with duties I was no further behind then buying in Canada, and I had a better selection while ordering. Besides, I'm literally hundreds of km's from the nearest brick and mortar store.

Anyways, I've ordered more from SP than either TCS or 4N. I use the two latter companies for their house blends, which are excellent. What they choose to label their contents is their business and responsibility, not mine. As I said, it wouldn't matter what they labelled it, as I can't get those house blends anywhere else.

Reactions: KBaz