PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SpyHill

Might Stick Around
May 3, 2022
Victoria, BC
Hopefully I'm in the right category, here.

In a week, I'll be moving from BC to Saskatchewan, and I'll be driving through Washington, Idaho, and Montana to get there. On the way, I plan to buy 400g of pipe tobacco in Idaho (Post Falls), split between my wife and I to stay within the limit when reentering Canada (up to 200g of pipe tobacco per person for trips over 48 hours).

However, I will also be travelling with my current tins of pipe tobacco, probably 80g or so. I've already paid duty/tax on this tobacco. When I reenter Canada, I'm assuming this 80g won't be counted towards my 200g limit, given that it's already gone through customs. But I don't know how to prove this, since I don't have the original customs slip with the receipt; I only have the SmokingPipes receipt with my Canadian address.

Do I need to declare my current pipe tobacco when reentering Canada? Does it count towards my limit even though I already paid duty for it? How do I prove I already paid duty on it (especially since it's all in mason jars)?

Perhaps someone on these forums has experience with my situation. I'm try to do everything legally, but I also want to be able to bring in 400g from Idaho without worrying about going over my limit.

Also, if anyone has experience with a good shop in Post Falls, Idaho, let me know. I'm looking at A1 or Lew's Smoke Shop.

Thanks.

Reactions: JOHN72

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I would consider reducing your "travel" tobacco to a small pouch of Carter Hall or similar inexpensive and easygoing blend rather than "suspicious" jars.

Have the pouch already halfway smoked when you start your trip ad it should be easy to convince a reasonable authority that the ragged, open half pouch has traveled with you and the shiny, sealed 200g of new stuff was acquired along the way.

Of course, there is NO guarantee of meeting with persons of reason... nnnn

1655070203541.png

KBaz

Lurker
Dec 19, 2020
I am unsure of the boarder regulations.

However I will offer an alternative - I live in SK (Regina) if you ship it to me I will hold it. Then you can pick it up whenever you want and it never crosses an international boarder

Not an elaborate plan to smoke your cellar.

KBaz

Lurker
Dec 19, 2020
I am unsure of the boarder regulations.

However I will offer an alternative - I live in SK (Regina) if you ship it to me I will hold it. Then you can pick it up whenever you want and it never crosses an international boarder

Not an elaborate plan to smoke your cellar.
Alternatively. I could ship it to you if your not in the area. Or you can give it to a local BC piper and I can set you up with 80 grams in SK.

Reactions: Fralphog

SpyHill

Might Stick Around
May 3, 2022
Victoria, BC
Have you contacted border entry about it?
I didn't know I could do that. This may be a good first step.

I've just realized that I will still be hit with a special duty when reentering Canada -- $9.30 per 50g of unstamped tobacco if I'm reading this right. This will quickly add up with 400g, so it probably isn't worth going up to the limit.

Thanks KBaz, but shipping in Canada isn't cheap either, and it would be just one more thing to sort out in what will be a very hectic final week in Victoria. Kind offer, though. I don't actually know any other pipers in town. I will be driving through/past Regina on my way to eastern SK.

My best bet might be to get 250-300g so that I'm not going over the limit, and then to hope for a reasonable border agent. I think I will contact them, too.

Cheers, all.

KBaz

Lurker
Dec 19, 2020
I didn't know I could do that. This may be a good first step.

I've just realized that I will still be hit with a special duty when reentering Canada -- $9.30 per 50g of unstamped tobacco if I'm reading this right. This will quickly add up with 400g, so it probably isn't worth going up to the limit.

Thanks KBaz, but shipping in Canada isn't cheap either, and it would be just one more thing to sort out in what will be a very hectic final week in Victoria. Kind offer, though. I don't actually know any other pipers in town. I will be driving through/past Regina on my way to eastern SK.

My best bet might be to get 250-300g so that I'm not going over the limit, and then to hope for a reasonable border agent. I think I will contact them, too.

Cheers, all.
Well let me know if I can be of service.
Let me be the first to welcome you to SK.
Any chance your moving to Spy Hill?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Contact the contact the Canadian border patrol and asked them. This is the simplest and the easiest thing to do. It's best to do this even if you best Canadian friend says it is okay to travel with your old tins. It would be nice if you could get their reply in writing. And be sure to get the name of whoever you talk to.

Reactions: JOHN72 and SpyHill

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If it was likely to cause a bureaucratic hassle and expense at the border, I'd just smoke a lot less and or not at all. Luckily, I'm not much addicted to nicotine, so it would work for me. The laws are too bizarre and draconian to be observed.

For business purposes, with public health literature, we had to hire a customs broker or else the material would have never arrived in time for our use. Mind you, this was public health material. Wacky.

Reactions: JOHN72

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
wow 400g of tobacco is that big of a deal? Not being a smart ass or anything just doesn’t seem like very much the kind of thing i wouldn’t declare figuring if there is some off chance they see it say “oh forgot i had that in there, it’s been a long trip” or something.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
wow 400g of tobacco is that big of a deal? Not being a smart ass or anything just doesn’t seem like very much the kind of thing i wouldn’t declare figuring if there is some off chance they see it say “oh forgot i had that in there, it’s been a long trip” or something.
Yes. Tobacco is evil, remember? Only a handful of USA states out of nearly the entire world don't care too much about it... Yet.

P.S. Also not being a smart ass; this is just the reality of the worldwide tobacco situation.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Yes. Tobacco is evil, remember? Only a handful of USA states out of nearly the entire world don't care too much about it... Yet.

P.S. Also not being a smart ass; this is just the reality of the worldwide tobacco situation.
Can thank WHO for that now it’s bad for the climate too ?

used to live in socal and there are entire cities where it’s not even legal to smoke on your own property, del
Mar for one, in some cities you get tickets for smoking in your car driving down the road.

SpyHill

Might Stick Around
May 3, 2022
Victoria, BC
Contact the contact the Canadian border patrol and asked them. This is the simplest and the easiest thing to do. It's best to do this even if you best Canadian friend says it is okay to travel with your old tins. It would be nice if you could get their reply in writing. And be sure to get the name of whoever you talk to.
Yes, I sent them a message using their contact form. Will I hear back in time? Doubtful.

Reactions: kcghost

SpyHill

Might Stick Around
May 3, 2022
Victoria, BC
Unfortunately, yes.