Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

isaac

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
So I have been looking for a certain Castello 15 with sea rock brown and a saddle stem for awhile. One finally popped up and I purchased it. I received it yesterday but noticed an inclusion in the bowl. It’s noting I can fell, but obviously you can see it. The seller is offering a guarantee if anything should happen, but states they had already talked to Castello who reassured him it’s “fine”

would you tempt fate, as it’s taken me almost a year to find this shape, or ship it back to Italy from the US?

Attachments

• 4B43EC77-2F23-4DA6-80CA-FAE740235DB2.jpeg
    4B43EC77-2F23-4DA6-80CA-FAE740235DB2.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 80

bayareabriar

May 8, 2019
Nice shape! I had a similar thing, but mine was in the mortise and I definitely sent it back.

I think in the bowl you’re ok. I mean, some manufacturers would have coated it and you wouldn’t even know it was there.

However, at the end of the day, it’s what will make you comfortable with your purchase.

Reactions: fireground_piper

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Ordinarily I'd say "no big deal" to a little pit in the briar. In this case, there's a definite line of dark brown weaving through the briar right at the pit, and that wood is softer and more prone to burning. Will it immediately fall apart? No. But it's not a good quality piece of wood.

runscott

Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
So I have been looking for a certain Castello 15 with sea rock brown and a saddle stem for awhile. One finally popped up and I purchased it. I received it yesterday but noticed an inclusion in the bowl. It’s noting I can fell, but obviously you can see it. The seller is offering a guarantee if anything should happen, but states they had already talked to Castello who reassured him it’s “fine”

would you tempt fate, as it’s taken me almost a year to find this shape, or ship it back to Italy from the US?

Just the fact that the seller didn't mention it until you asked, and then admitted to having done research on the issue, and even contacted Castello. Probably fine, but I would definitely send it back unless the pipe was otherwise so cool I couldn't do without it.

Reactions: Hillcrest

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Don't know the communication or pics beforehand, but if the seller thought it needed to be asked before you asked and still didn't think it was something worth noting up front, I wouldn't be real happy. I'll defer to the experts here on the extent to which it is a defect that could get worse, etc., but sounds like a real cause for concern.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I opened the picture in a new tab and increased the size ... it looks like there are two occlusions ...there seems to be a second further down and both seem to run along a vein in the grain ... I would suspect that would weaken over time and cause a cracked bowl but I am no expert and do not carve pipes. You need an opinion from a disinterested pipemaker. I would send it back. I have a butz choquin fait main where that is happening on the outside along a vein. I recently saw another BC posted where the top half of the bowl split off along a growth line. It happens but hopefully not to us ! My pipe was bought used and at such a price I will use it until it breaks. Good Luck whatever you decide.

Reactions: MarcosEZLN

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Maybe such things are why Peterson (and others) now coats their chambers.
I have also noticed, on a big seller site, that, along with all black coatings and rustication or sand blasting ... I wondered if it was a trend or if they are just banging out as many pipes as possible from the excess briar. ??? ?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have also noticed, on a big seller site, that, along with all black coatings and rustication or sand blasting ... I wondered if it was a trend or if they are just banging out as many pipes as possible from the excess briar. ??? ?
Some makers including artisans do it to give the pipe a finished look. Some buyers request it.

Ag®o

Lifer
Nov 14, 2021
Italy
Maybe such things are why Peterson (and others) now coats their chambers.
It's a easy way to hide flaws.
Even some estate pipe sellers (often "makeshift restorers" on ebay) use this trick with the excuse of refurbishing.
When I come across a coated chamber, I move on.
And, in this case, I've heard too many stories about the recalcitrant willingness to validate a guarantee from the Coppo administration.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Some makers including artisans do it to give the pipe a finished look. Some buyers request it.
I understand, thanks, I am just surprised there are so few smooth finishes (in comparison) available, and in lighter colors..... I wondered if this is the popular trend among buyers (darker finishes) ...maybe the current fad ?

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Of the artisans I've known, they've commented on how they get more requests for blasts than smooth. Given the choice, I go with blasts though none of mine are black.
I have always preferred smooth that show the grain but my workhorse pipe and the one I have come to favor as almost indestructible is a Savinelli 2614KS rusticated with that reddish brown rusticated finish ... if i had to go onto the deserted island ... that's the pipe i would want to have with me ... along with a fully manned and loaded aircraft carrier ! ;):ROFLMAO:

burleybreath

Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA

Would make me nervous to smoke it, which isn't what I pay for in a new pipe. Bail out. Good luck with the postal rates.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd send it back, at that price level. Of course, don't smoke it. That might jinx the deal. Like maybe you lit it with a blow torch. It is trouble, and time, but if you got back the shape of your dreams in mint condition, ready to smoke for the rest of your life, it would seem worth the trouble and wait.

Reactions: Ag®o