PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
A word has connotations as well as denotations. This is one of the ways we create shades of meaning—and understanding. Those shades matter. All sorts of terrible things can happen when we ignore connotations

the word “hobby” connotes triviality, among other things. I personally don’t think it’s trivial so I don’t use that word. And when others call it a hobby, I am not offended (a word that has taken on connotation of oversensitivity and self righteousness, recently ) but I do wonder, why would they it think it trivial? And: do they REALLY think it’s trivial? And if they don’t think it’s trivial, why use that word? The possible answers make me avoid the word “hobby” all the more
I don't automatically think of hobbies as being something trivial...but it depends on what you're comparing it to.

Everything about pipes and pipe tobacco is trivial compared to genuinely important and significant things.

But then a certain amount of triviality and amusement is important and significant for sanity retention.

sgarrity

Lurker
Mar 6, 2016
San Diego
That's essentially how I see it as well. I couldn't care less what anyone else calls it, but for me, I don't see the actual act of smoking as a hobby, but everything else about pipes and pipe tobacco certainly falls into the hobby category.

If I only had one or two pipes and purchased only some OTC blend as I needed it...and most importantly didn't waste spend precious time on a pipe forum discussing this stuff...then it would be difficult to call it a hobby. But with the collection aspect of numerous pipes and a tobacco "cellar"...and related accessories...and wading into the minutiae of it all on here on a daily basis...yeah that's all hobby stuff.
^^^THIS^^^

I‘ll add that if you go to a show or conference that is specifically about this thing you do for fun or if you belong to a club that exists solely for the discussion of said activity, it’s a damn hobby!

Hope to see you at the West Coast Pipe Show where I’ll be learning about and spending more money on this hobby! puffy

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I've never really thought of what to call it. A pastime perhaps, but I think that's still considered 'hobby'. I think there is a difference between something you do for enjoyment regularly and an actual hobby. For example, I drink beer and wine. I know the ones I like, and leave it at that. I don't give it any thought really. On the other hand, there are folks that are very into beers and wine. I have friends that sample different types of beers all the time, and can give you a jiminks-style review on them to boot, and seek out local brewers and try that new IPA or whatever. Likewise with wine enthusiasts, who maintain a cellar. At that point I'd say it's definitely a hobby. Me, I'd say pipe smoking for me is a bit past just something I enjoy and is actually hobby, as I like to cellar and age certain blends, like reading reviews, etc.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I‘ll add that if you go to a show or conference that is specifically about this thing you do for fun or if you belong to a club that exists solely for the discussion of said activity, it’s a damn hobby!
I've never been to either and need smoking and chewing to properly function. Seated smoking is something I rarely if ever do and if I've had no tobacco or caffeine just after waking up, I'm not pleasant. I mainly get on here as much of my day 12 hours is work time, and not many people there.

20201121_213121.jpg

No, we're talking about what's a hobby and what's not. For some it is, for others it's another outlet for nicotine. By all the definitions pointed out, cigarettes are a hobby.
You know, you can either accept that some people call this a hobby, or make yourself miserable always arguing this. We get it. You don't want to have anything to do with this hobby stuff. But, you don't get to dictate the words everyone else uses.
Hell, if I could dictate what words we used, I would eradicate "community, communal, and commode"... sounds too much like communism to me. puffy

aspiring_sage

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
Really? Are there members who take offence because someone calls pipe smoking a hobby?
I haven’t really seen anything inappropriate but I have had people advocate by proxy, mentioning heated discussion in the past, recommending I not call it a hobby.

So my cigarette smoking is a hobby? Interesting!
I didn’t see anybody suggest this. It might be. If you're looking for a loophole, this may not be it.
Based on your other posts, it sounds no more a hobby than eating dinner every day.

the word “hobby” connotes triviality, among other things.
I never considered the word hobby indicating triviality. I know it is possible to be very passionate about a hobby. For instance: My career has been based heavily influenced by former hobbies.

I've never really thought of what to call it. A pastime perhaps,
Me, I'd say pipe smoking for me is a bit past just something I enjoy and is actually hobby,
You're on to something good with the word 'pasttime'. It resonates well, but seems to be missing some of the medicating/spiritual aspect to it.

I've never been to either and need smoking and chewing to properly function.
You are on forums. I'd speculate that maybe your hobby is reminding us 'navel gazers' that smoking pipes isn't that complicated. When I've been over-thinking (one of my main hobbies) I appreciate the grounding.

No, we're talking about what's a hobby and what's not. For some it is, for others it's another outlet for nicotine. By all the definitions pointed out, cigarettes are a hobby.
This is a very valid point.
I wouldn't consider drinking coffee a hobby, but to some people it is one.

I also see risk in calling smoking a hobby:
“I’m not really addicted, it’s just a hobby. I can quit any time”
According to the propaganda, this how it starts.

Interestingly, the forum rules call pipe clubs a hobby. I’m just following the rules :) I'd consider the forum to be an open pipe club.

The sponsors probably call the forum good marketing. Things have different meaning to different people.

Started here years ago to discuss vulcanite cleaning with a late member Ed James. Seemed like a friendly place at the time and my work doesn't afford many social avenues.
You show off collections of pipes, post new ones, discuss the ones you get rid of... discuss tastes of different tobaccos, talk about components of tobaccos, you've showed us books on pipes and tobaccos that you've collected over the years, and you've showed us your huge collection of tobaccos... Hell, you even post picture of you smoking huge pipes, I don't get it. Ha ha.
But, you sir, do not have to call it a hobby. It's a free world. Do what you want, and let everyone else use the words they want.

Reactions: scloyd

aspiring_sage

Oct 7, 2021
Started here years ago to discuss vulcanite cleaning with a late member Ed James. Seemed like a friendly place at the time and my work doesn't afford many social avenues.
That is nearly exactly the same as my story, but I didn't smoke before. I've been working from home and this has been a good social outlet.

I haven't been able to find people, in the offline world, to discuss this newfound passion for pipes. Even the many tobacco shops within 3 miles of the house, none carry more than 3 pipe tobaccos. They seem to be leaning toward a different smoker.

No google search could get the quality of info on the forum search. How could I not join?

Reactions: Chasing Embers

aspiring_sage

Oct 7, 2021
Just so I don't get accused of gushing:
I know for a fact I'd have saved $$ if I were not on this forum with you guys. Why do I have so many pipes? I was perfectly happy with my original 2 cobs and grabow...
You all had a part in going from just 'smoking' into a hobby for me.

There should be a warning for new members:
PAD is contagious.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
@JimInks
Is smoking all new blends and then posting your reviews a hobby for you? Not the actual activity of smoking pipes, but the reviews? I would think that it's a hobby.

Sorry to drag you into this...just curious.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Do what you want, and let everyone else use the words they want
Again, you're the one arguing that. I said fine one way or the other. You're the one pushing for me to agree with you.

showed us books on pipes and tobaccos
Only have one of those, The Book of Pipes and Tobacco gifted to me by former member scrooge during a gifting war.

Again, you're the one arguing that. I said fine one way or the other. You're the one pushing for me to agree with you.
You keep saying that I am the one arguing, but then you quoted me. I have said over and over that you do not have to agree, but just stop telling others what words to use. You have a weird way of NOT ARGUING.

Reactions: trudger
Status
Not open for further replies.