PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

autococker07

Might Stick Around
Mar 29, 2022
Fort Walton Beach, FL
Title edited for caps and subject matter. -jpm

And by dumb, I mean I can probably research the site to find my answer, but am far too lazy for all of that!

What is the most noticeable change you have personally found in a cellared pipe tobacco?

Please list brand and age, as well as any appropriate notes that you found endearing.

I have some 4-5 year old presbyterian and it is much much too mellow for my palate.... I don't want to make that mistake again, but I like fresh Presbyterian, even though it is also mighty light.....

Do most/all pipe tobaccos weaken with age? I really like the Latakia (pirate cake is delicious) and I have found nightcap is just about the perfect morning smoke.... I guess I am still calibrated to cigars.... trying to learn to like Virginias, and having some success, but hoping a few tins of escudo set back doesn't get weaker......

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

autococker07

Might Stick Around
Mar 29, 2022
Fort Walton Beach, FL
A great example of this, to my taste buds, is Amphora Virginia. I bought a 5 pack after my first positive experience with it. By the time I got to the last pouch - and it took maybe a year - it had smoothed out, and was an even nicer smoke.
Great answers all, and thanks!

My dilemma is that I have had the completely opposite situation as judcole..... I really liked presbyterian about 4-5 years ago, but have not been impressed with age on the blend.... I just don't want to pile up a bunch of tins that go meh.....

I understand it is subjective, but appreceiate the advice of others as a starting point for myself, believe it or not, it really does help.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Also related to a different topic - I've tried seriously well aged, dark and rich Grousemoor vs. not so aged, and there is definitely a difference that I like. Aged Virginias in general I know I really like. On the other hand, I thought I would like Dunhill Aperitif and bought some that was old and some that was newer and . . . really don't like it either way, lol. I need to put my finger on what puts me off about it, and based on some other tobaccos I'm starting to think it's the Orientals, but since I don't smoke as frequently as most I'm not willing to forsake "sessions" of things I know or am darn sure I do or will like in favor of experimenting, but I do have a couple of blends that look similar I'll try against the Aperitif when I'm feeling brave and want to make a note that says "yuck", lol.

To the individual and variable aspects, my senses of taste and smell are now back to 100% after a year, and so I also need to go back with many blends and see if what I thought last fall and into the winter is still "valid" - in general that is the case, just noticing some nuances so far I hadn't. For example, a "cherry" flavor, the "butterscotch" in Wilke's Butterscotch Cavendish, I know I wouldn't have gotten much out of back in October, but am now - and some is smell, some is taste and of course they are related, and it's the same with non-aromatics. The smell of Aperitif is worse out of the tin!

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
Hey now, if I scroll up I can remember the topic!
Haha - if she did t help tobacco for some people it wouldn’t sell for the prices it does. But, willingness to spend that kind of money shouldn’t depend on anything but an experience with it, if that makes sense. I can’t imagine the disappointment some people may encounter spending substantial coin on aged baccy only to wonder why they did it. ?‍♂️

The experience of it changing over time is part of the enjoyment for me… still waiting on some pipe tobacco to mature - but, I don’t expect it to be too much different than my experience with cigars. Some better fresh - some better with age.

It’s not a dumb question - just a impossible one to answer.

4-5 years really isn't very long. It is long enough for some very minor changes to occur, and maybe the Virginias lose their harshness. But, it is not long enough for a latakia to lose it's edge. When I first started, 4-5 years of age was typical for most tobaccos to set on the shelf at the B&M. They had C&D's for up to 8 years on the shelf. But, this was before the madness of people actually hunting down aged tins.

So much changes in us that the variables that affect tastes are virtually endless; mood, time of year, what we eat, changes in behavior, on and on... Heck, I hate the music that I used to like back in high school and college. I made some playlists just 10 or so years ago that I can't stand now. Tastes change. And, it is really hard to differ whether it is me or the thing that has changed sometimes.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
4-5 years really isn't very long. It is long enough for some very minor changes to occur, and maybe the Virginias lose their harshness. But, it is not long enough for a latakia to lose it's edge. When I first started, 4-5 years of age was typical for most tobaccos to set on the shelf at the B&M. They had C&D's for up to 8 years on the shelf. But, this was before the madness of people actually hunting down aged tins.

So much changes in us that the variables that affect tastes are virtually endless; mood, time of year, what we eat, changes in behavior, on and on... Heck, I hate the music that I used to like back in high school and college. I made some playlists just 10 or so years ago that I can't stand now. Tastes change. And, it is really hard to differ whether it is me or the thing that has changed sometimes.
I enjoy listening to old play lists. It helps me remember certain experiences, some for the better and others that I'd like to forget.

However, there is some comfort in remembering the bad times, for I know I can crawl back out of the hole if i find myself there again.

It's the same with certain adult beverages, like Steel Reserve and my time in undergrad.

Yet, times change and people grow. Yet the experiences form the fabric of the quilt of life for each individual. And I tend to wear the pattern on my sleeve, since it got knocked off my shoulder years ago. Now back to my hole...

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
The two blends that I noticed the biggest changes are both VaPers;
PS Luxury Navy Flake. With 3-4 years of age the jar note is simply delicious though I prefer smoking it when fresh.

Aj's Vaper, I did not like it fresh.
Jarred and shoved to the back of the cupboard [intending to use it as a mixer] after 3-4 years I tried a bowl and it was superb. Wish that I had bought more while I had the chance.

Ageing changes certain blends but whether for the better is subjective to ones tastes.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Don't know about cellared blends, but for my taste, Latakia slowly lose the flavor as time goes by. First couple of weeks are most noticeable once the tin is opened. By about 6 months, it's rather mellow.

Reactions: autococker07

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Great answers all, and thanks!

My dilemma is that I have had the completely opposite situation as judcole..... I really liked presbyterian about 4-5 years ago, but have not been impressed with age on the blend.... I just don't want to pile up a bunch of tins that go meh.....

I understand it is subjective, but appreceiate the advice of others as a starting point for myself, believe it or not, it really does help.
just like with wine. Aging isn't a magic makes everything better. But it smooths out the rough edges the sugars become more pronounced. And my experience is with most blends it's different but not really better or worse, many it's better but not worth chasing better, some times the simple change is magic and you get something mind blowing, and then some just loss their edge and you wish you smoked it earlier. Presbyterian I could certainly see it. In fact fresh which I do really like a lot, despite the fact I feel like it could use more edge.

Reactions: autococker07

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've had a few Virginia and Va/Per blends where the Virginias became sweet as caramel. These would include Sam Gawith St James Flake from 2006, Sam Gawith Full Virginia Flake, also from 2006, and a couple of McClelland Christmas cheers, one from 1996 and the other from 2004 (I think).
It doesn't happen all the time, but it's nice when it happens.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
^^ This. Five years ago I smoked mostly blends with Latakia, today I prefer mostly VA, VA/PER and Burley. Not only do our tastes change our ability to accurately recall what something tasted like five years ago is also suspect, with the possible exception of @JimInks :)

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Also like wine, there is an age past which all of the catalyst or microbe or oxygen or whatever drives the reaction that slowly converts starches to sugars in the system gets used up and stops happening. And that assumes one keeps a perfect seal the whole time and your tobacco isn't slowly (or quickly) drying out to mummy dust.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I have a few lbs. of Middleton’s Cherry Blend that is around 50 years old…

I had to rehydrate it, but I enjoy a bowl now and then. There’s no burn to it, so I suppose whatever the chemical that was originally in it has long dissipated… A good retro smoke. And the chicks dig the smell, then start talking about their grandpa.

autococker07

Might Stick Around
Mar 29, 2022
Fort Walton Beach, FL
I have a few lbs. of Middleton’s Cherry Blend that is around 50 years old…

I had to rehydrate it, but I enjoy a bowl now and then. There’s no burn to it, so I suppose whatever the chemical that was originally in it has long dissipated… A good retro smoke. And the chicks dig the smell, then start talking about their grandpa.
Wow, I thought that it was bad that I had a few jars of Whitehall black tie from 2011 around..... it is is nice no bite sweet smelling smoke, but bejeezus it tastes like a bowl of jellybeans...... it hasn't changed AT ALL..... I think because its 80 % goo...... I am slowly using it to color my Meer :ROFLMAO: