PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The Amazing Mrs. Maisel- Amazon Prime, 2/5 Ok the first few eps, 3.5/5.

I have watched a few episodes of that show about the Jewish lady comedian who is the warm up act in a strip clubs in the 1960s New York. The Amazing Mrs Mazel Tov or something like that, her ex husband has got some American Chinese girl pregnant and a lot of the cast remind me of my second wife's family. It's funny as hell and if I can remember what its called I'll put a link in here.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Masha and the Bear. Depending on where you watch (YouTube has both) you may or may not get the English version. As near as I can tell the Russian and English versions are identical except the words visible are (mostly) changed and there's really no spoken words in the English version. I have no idea if real words or just babble are being spoken in the Russian version.

I think I can give this a 3.5 but sometimes Masha is just a bit to bratty/obnoxious to give it a higher rating.

downloadfile-1.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
One of the perks of being a member of the Academy is that you get about 5+ months to watch pretty much everything currently streaming that's a possible EMMY contender, free of charge. Beats paying for 60 different streaming channels.

Now binging Picard on CBS streaming. It's kind of fun, this season. Not uniformly so, but you go through a lot of plot twists and turns, and more frolics with the Borg. If you're a fan of Patrick Stewart you'll enjoy the series, though he is getting a bit long in the tooth.

4 out of 5

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
One of the perks of being a member of the Academy is that you get about 5+ months to watch pretty much everything currently streaming that's a possible EMMY contender, free of charge. Beats paying for 60 different streaming channels.

Now binging Picard on CBS streaming. It's kind of fun, this season. Not uniformly so, but you go through a lot of plot twists and turns, and more frolics with the Borg. If you're a fan of Patrick Stewart you'll enjoy the series, though he is getting a bit long in the tooth.

4 out of 5

"The" Academy?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Warlee

Might Stick Around
Apr 13, 2022
Michigan
We are waiting for season 3 of The Chosen to come out. The first 2 seasons were fantastic. Whole family absolutely loved it.

It follows Jesus and his disciples. It is extremely well done. A lot of historical context is added, blanks filled in and character development done.

It is crowdfunded so is totally free to watch. It’s on YouTube as well as their app.

5/5

Reactions: kurtbob and jpmcwjr

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Guilty pleasure for viewing: Penelope Keith's Hidden Villages.
I realize this might be like watching paint dry for some people but I find it relaxing, informative, and entertaining. (Plus I'll admit I have a somewhat of a schoolboy crush on a curiously attractive young Penelope Keith.)

What I wouldn't give for a year or two, and a budget, to tour around England experiencing things as locals do.

On Amazon Prime. 4.5 out of 5 if you like this sort of thing.

ed3a7257-b5ba-46ad-b75c-763e18feb6cd.jpg

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
That's generally how it's expressed.
LOL, reminds me of a movie - "Grave danger?" "Is there another kind?"

I didn't want to make any assumptions and I find this incredibly cool given my lifelong devotion as a fan to all things cinema!

Guessing that's been a special association for you!

Now about Saving Private Ryan not getting best picture instead of some pillow talk drivel about the Bard of Avon . . . . .

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
LOL, reminds me of a movie - "Grave danger?" "Is there another kind?"

I didn't want to make any assumptions and I find this incredibly cool given my lifelong devotion as a fan to all things cinema!

Guessing that's been a special association for you!

Now about Saving Private Ryan not getting best picture instead of some pillow talk drivel about the Bard of Avon . . . . .
When I was elected to membership I thought I'd share the news with my parents, and as I was going to their home to run some errands for them, I decided to wait until I got there to tell them.

So I arrived and after a few minutes I said, "I've got some news! I've just been elected to the Academy."

Well, they were very excited and my mother says to me, "That's WONDERFUL!! Congratulations! Now you can vote for the Oscars!"

And I replied, "No I get to vote for the EMMYs, it's the television academy."

Then the two of them look at each other and Pop says, "Oh..."

At which point he heads off into the den to watch a game, Mom hands me a list of things she needs me to pick up for them, and heads to the kitchen sink to finish peeling an onion.

The End.

sic transit gloria mundi

I would have loved to have had my work nominated, at least with my name attached to it, but that hasn't happened. Warner Animation decided to sponsor me for membership and asked me if I was interested. I said sure, and they collected the necessary signatures and endorsements and I passed the vetting process and am a member. So it's cool that my peers liked my work enough to nominate me.

Other than that, it's paying dues and participating in the Academy's public programming, like serving on its committee for awarding internships, etc.

And I think we get a 5% discount at Kohl's?

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
When I was elected to membership I thought I'd share the news with my parents, and as I was going to their home to run some errands for them, I decided to wait until I got there to tell them.

So I arrived and after a few minutes I said, "I've got some news! I've just been elected to the Academy."

Well, they were very excited and my mother says to me, "That's WONDERFUL!! Congratulations! Now you can vote for the Oscars!"

And I replied, "No I get to vote for the EMMYs, it's the television academy."

Then the two of them look at each other and Pop says, "Oh..."

At which point he heads off into the den to watch a game, Mom hands me a list of things she needs me to pick up for them, and heads to the kitchen sink to finish peeling an onion.

The End.

sic transit gloria mundi

I would have loved to have had my work nominated, at least with my name attached to it, but that hasn't happened. Warner Animation decided to sponsor me for membership and asked me if I was interested. I said sure, and they collected the necessary signatures and endorsements and I passed the vetting process and am a member. So it's cool that my peers liked my work enough to nominate me.

Other than that, it's paying dues and participating in the Academy's public programming, like serving on its committee for awarding internships, etc.

And I think we get a 5% discount at Kohl's?
Haha, so I should have said, now about Angela Lansbury!

Incredible honor!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
WeWork redux. Just watched the final episode, having skipped a few. Too much fluff.

The story I wanted to know is where is it now? This from their website:

• Fourth quarter 2021 revenue was $718 million, representing a 9% increase from $661 million in the third quarter and the second consecutive quarter of sequential revenue growth.
  • Fourth quarter 2021 Operating Cash Flow was negative $373 million and Free Cash Flow was negative $467 million.
  • Net Loss was $803 million in the fourth quarter 2021, a 5% improvement relative to the third quarter 2021. Net loss net of $103 million of interest and other (income) expense, restructuring costs of negative $48 million driven by net gains on lease terminations, impairment of $241 million driven by building exits and depreciation and amortization of $174 million, stock-based compensation of $48 million, and $2 million of other costs, resulted in Adjusted EBITDA of negative $283 million.
  • Adjusted EBITDA was negative $283 million, a $73 million improvement from third quarter 2021 and a $189 million improvement relative to the fourth quarter 2020.
As if that's not bad enough, their last SEC filing has more warnings than the average Red Herring. It's available at: LINK to SEC filing.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
WeWork redux. Just watched the final episode, having skipped a few. Too much fluff.

The story I wanted to know is where is it now? This from their website:

• Fourth quarter 2021 revenue was $718 million, representing a 9% increase from $661 million in the third quarter and the second consecutive quarter of sequential revenue growth.
  • Fourth quarter 2021 Operating Cash Flow was negative $373 million and Free Cash Flow was negative $467 million.
  • Net Loss was $803 million in the fourth quarter 2021, a 5% improvement relative to the third quarter 2021. Net loss net of $103 million of interest and other (income) expense, restructuring costs of negative $48 million driven by net gains on lease terminations, impairment of $241 million driven by building exits and depreciation and amortization of $174 million, stock-based compensation of $48 million, and $2 million of other costs, resulted in Adjusted EBITDA of negative $283 million.
  • Adjusted EBITDA was negative $283 million, a $73 million improvement from third quarter 2021 and a $189 million improvement relative to the fourth quarter 2020.
As if that's not bad enough, their last SEC filing has more warnings than the average Red Herring. It's available at: LINK to SEC filing.
WeWork tried to represent itself as a tech company and because of the insanity the investment community regarding tech (still ongoing, though not quite so much) actually was able to make that BS fly for a while. When it became clear that tech they were not, the sky fell.

Status
Not open for further replies.