What are You Looking for at the Chicago Pipe Show?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I can't make it to Chicago, but just a few ideas for those who can.

Set a budget and stay with it. The best thing you'll get at pipe shows is conversation and information, so get your gift of gab (and listening) going.

Get business cards from venders if you're not sure about purchases, so you can get back to them. A particular item may be sold, but you know the source. Make a note on the back of the card on what interested you, as a reminder.

I'd make a round of the tables before you buy anything, so you get a range on what's there.

If you haven't hit your budget, make a round near the end of the selling part of the show; sometimes amazing offers are made. It happened to me.

Have a good time! Hope there are lots of attendees and venders.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Never been, couldn't imagine social smoking. My pipes primarily fall into commissions only.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Other than pipe shows, pipe clubs, and pipe shops with smoking areas, there aren't many places to smoke socially. I have one pipe smoking friend, and he lives out of state.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
It's on my bucket list to attend someday. It's not an inexpensive proposition to travel from Texas. I don't have the funds, but if I ever do... I'd just like to walk around and experience everything I can.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

jafo1989

Might Stick Around
Dec 2, 2021
Chicago
It's on my bucket list to attend someday. It's not an inexpensive proposition to travel from Texas. I don't have the funds, but if I ever do... I'd just like to walk around and experience everything I can.
Air travel mask mandates just came down. Take it as a sign you’re supposed to go. ?

Reactions: monty55

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
monty55, in more normal times, there is or was an annual pipe show much closer to you, maybe in Las Vagas or California. The shows tend to be outside the cities that bear their names. The Chicago show is at a town well outside the City of Chicago, and the New York show is in New Jersey (when they're held, of course).

This brings the cost of the venue, the hotel or resort, down quite a bit, within the reach of a recreational pipe smoking clientele. If you then want to combine your trip to include the big metropolis, you have to make all those arrangements independently.

Chicago is an amazing city to visit. I grew up near there, just outside city limits, and commuted there to school, and started visiting the downtown alone in high school, but it never fails to impress me. The boat ride down the Chicago River gives a perfect introduction, and the Art Institute and nearby Millennial Park are not to be missed. Etc.

Reactions: monty55

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
monty55, in more normal times, there is or was an annual pipe show much closer to you, maybe in Las Vagas or California. The shows tend to be outside the cities that bear their names. The Chicago show is at a town well outside the City of Chicago, and the New York show is in New Jersey (when they're held, of course).

This brings the cost of the venue, the hotel or resort, down quite a bit, within the reach of a recreational pipe smoking clientele. If you then want to combine your trip to include the big metropolis, you have to make all those arrangements independently.

Chicago is an amazing city to visit. I grew up near there, just outside city limits, and commuted there to school, and started visiting the downtown alone in high school, but it never fails to impress me. The boat ride down the Chicago River gives a perfect introduction, and the Art Institute and nearby Millennial Park are not to be missed. Etc.
I imagine it's nice.

I'm not really interested in sight seeing the cities, I meant I'd like to walk around the Pipe Show and see all the pipes and vendors and such and visit with other pipe enthusiasts. I've seen enough of big cities for one lifetime, but I've never been to a Pipe Show before, and there's none more prominent than the Chicago Pipe Show I don't think. That's why it's on my bucket list.