Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Once a week i usually order a few tins of stuff I love, and add a couple ounces of bulk stuff I love. Then I just add on a couple tins of things I'm interested in trying so I get the best of both - add to the cellar, and trying new things. Although I am heavier on cellar stocking because I know what I like and a few have been discontinued or remain sold out.

Although something to keep in mind: your taste will change throughout your journey. Early on I loved Latakia. Now I have a stash of English blends in my cellar that I don't smoke.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Buy 2-3 tins when they are on sale, like c&d or glp, while adding 1-2 tins of you favorites... And offer up trades as many forum members are in the same boat.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I am facing a bit of a dilemma right now. I don't know if I should prepare myself for the tobaccopocalypse and rising prices by buying what I like now, or if I should try new things? I am a beginner still, so I have not experienced a lot of tobaccos, and that is why I'm so hesitant about cellaring right now. Maybe I should compromise and do a bit of both?

Does anyone have some wisdom to share?
Both. Some say you can't know what you like when your not a X amount of years into pipesmoking and while I can agree on some aspects of that statement, don't let yourself hold back to buy what you like and cellar deeper into it. I liked Presbyterian (2 pounds), MB Navy Flake (2 pounds) and Golden Extra (1 pound) instantly, so i'm a bit deeper on those. There is a possibility that I don't like them in the long run but no biggy, I can always tobacco bomb someone with it. I'm still looking for a VA blend I can cellar a bit deeper into, I really like OGS, but no way José im going to pay 300 euros a kilo/2 pounds for it.

Reactions: TheWhale13

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Once a week i usually order a few tins of stuff I love, and add a couple ounces of bulk stuff I love. Then I just add on a couple tins of things I'm interested in trying so I get the best of both - add to the cellar, and trying new things. Although I am heavier on cellar stocking because I know what I like and a few have been discontinued or remain sold out.

Although something to keep in mind: your taste will change throughout your journey. Early on I loved Latakia. Now I have a stash of English blends in my cellar that I don't smoke.
I've read about people losing their love of English (Latakia), but I still have a hard time conceptualizing that happening to me. Likely what others thought as well.
1) How long did that take for you; what kind of a journey to not smoking English blends? puffy
2) What'cha doin' with all those English blends right now...? ?

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I've read about people losing their love of English (Latakia), but I still have a hard time conceptualizing that happening to me. Likely what others thought as well.
1) How long did that take for you; what kind of a journey to not smoking English blends? puffy
It took a while, a couple years. I mostly smoked latakia blends for the majority of that time and loved them. Every now now then I'd try VA based blends or Burley blends and liked them, but didn't love them. Then I found some 2 year old HH Pure VA in a jar and tried it one day and a light bulb went off. It was an unforgettable smoke. So I started trying all sorts of VA based blends and fell in love. I'd revisit English blends at night before bed and just found myself uninterested. I'm not one that hates English blends, but it's very rare that I smoke them and when I do I prefer it to be cold weather. I've just kind of lost my taste for them, especially the heavy lat bombs. And I used to love a Lat bomb. About all I'll smoke in the winter now is the occasional Robert McConnell oriental, or Rattrays 7 Reserve.
I'm hoping to trade my English collection for some VA blends, not even picky really what kinda they are. Just something I'll actually smoke.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
It took a while, a couple years. I mostly smoked latakia blends for the majority of that time and loved them. Every now now then I'd try VA based blends or Burley blends and liked them, but didn't love them. Then I found some 2 year old HH Pure VA in a jar and tried it one day and a light bulb went off. It was an unforgettable smoke. So I started trying all sorts of VA based blends and fell in love. I'd revisit English blends at night before bed and just found myself uninterested. I'm not one that hates English blends, but it's very rare that I smoke them and when I do I prefer it to be cold weather. I've just kind of lost my taste for them, especially the heavy lat bombs. And I used to love a Lat bomb. About all I'll smoke in the winter now is the occasional Robert McConnell oriental, or Rattrays 7 Reserve.
I'm hoping to trade my English collection for some VA blends, not even picky really what kinda they are. Just something I'll actually smoke.
Thanks for that.

I have found that I really liked the HH offerings, including their VA, which I too immediately enjoyed and gathered a few to have. I'll go for a VA or Burley sometimes but all winter my love of Latakia just kept increasing.

Thinking that the warmer weather will naturally stimulate me to enjoy something other than Lat's.

Will just have to see what the palate presents in the future. I have gone very wide for my exploration blends so there's plenty to try.

Reactions: AppalachianPipe92

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
If you find something you can smoke comfortably everyday and is affordable, cellar deep. Like cases of half gallon mason jars deep. Six half gal mason jars holds about 5 lbs of most bulk ribbon cuts, for example. While building that, try something new whenever it strikes you to do so. Even things you wouldn’t think you would enjoy.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
remember you can always gift anything you don't like anymore. And become a legend on the forum, yes my suggestion is spend every spare cent you have indiscriminately on blends. Then give most of it away. It will be a sacrifice that will cause you problems but you'll be talked about for years or weeks.
It's not that easy to achieve BROBS legendary status!

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London

It took me about 3 months of regular smoking. I tried some non-lat blends that didn't appeal at first, bt kept calling me back. Then all of a sudden all I could taste in Englsih blends was Latakia - all the delcious orientals were hidden somewhere, buried underneath this slightly unpleasant taste and smell. I can just about sniff a Latakia tin now. I have a few jarred and unopened, but luckily I lost the taste pretty quickly after I started smoking, so it's not a big issue. I'll try them again one day. Maybe.

• Wow
Reactions: FLDRD

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've smoked on and off over about forty years, and I'm still "into" variety. I could coast on my eclectic cellar for ten years or so. I feel no compulsion to commit to a few blends, even the ones I like best. I also keep in mind that if the variety of blends is reduced, I want to be able to mix single leaf and correct blends to give me the variety I enjoy.

Some blends I enjoyed very much I've never ordered again. I would, but I'm too busy with new and/or different blends.

However, if you enjoy smoking mostly the same blend or blends over time, go with that. Whatever best suits your taste and style. I don't think there is one best way.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Well lately I can't stop enjoying Old Dublin & MM965. Everything else keeps falling short.

Just tried NightCap for the first time. Didn't enjoy it in the first 2 pipes but the third one - wow!
Different day? Different palate lead-up? Different pH? Different pipe?
Only the pipe gods know, but I look forward to seeing how the rest of the tin plays out.

Reactions: kcghost

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I am facing a bit of a dilemma right now. I don't know if I should prepare myself for the tobaccopocalypse and rising prices by buying what I like now, or if I should try new things? I am a beginner still, so I have not experienced a lot of tobaccos, and that is why I'm so hesitant about cellaring right now. Maybe I should compromise and do a bit of both?

Your tastes will change. Be conservative.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Title edited for caps. Rule 9! Thank you.

A bit of both! Emphasis on cellaring, though.

Good luck!