PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
“The really hopeless victims of mental illness are to be found among those who appear to be most normal. “Many of them are normal because they are so well adjusted to our mode of existence, because their human voice has been silenced so early in their lives, that they do not even struggle or suffer or develop symptoms as the neurotic does.” They are normal not in what may be called the absolute sense of the word; they are normal only in relation to a profoundly abnormal society. Their perfect adjustment to that abnormal society is a measure of their mental sickness.

These millions of abnormally normal people, living without fuss in a society to which, if they were fully human beings, they ought not to be adjusted, still cherish “the illusion of individuality,” but in fact they have been to a great extent deindividualized. Their conformity is developing into something like uniformity. But “uniformity and freedom are incompatible. Uniformity and mental health are incompatible too. Man is not made to be an automaton, and if he becomes one, the basis for mental health is destroyed.”
Aldous Huxley

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
"Was the government to prescribe to us our medicine and diet, our bodies would be in such keeping as our souls are now." -- Thomas Jefferson, extract from his Notes on the State of Virginia

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
The sun shines even on a dog's ass sometimes.

We shape our dwellings, and afterward our dwellings shape us.
~Winston Churchill

We like it dark. Dark for Dark business
~Dwarves from The Hobbit

An Appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile... hoping it will eat him last
~Winston Churchill

Sarcasm: the last refuge of modest and chaste-souled people when the privacy of their soul is coarsely and intrusively invaded.
~Fyodor Dostoevsky

Are you crazy? Is that your problem?
~Jack Burton (Big Trouble in Little China)

It's a TRAP!
~Admiral Ackbar (Return of the Jedi)

A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.
~Rudyard Kipling

My Heart is heavy with the things I don't understand.
~Rudyard Kipling

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.
~Lord Alfred Tennyson

You're not slingin' my ass in one of those crummy places!
~Swifty on being threatened with a reformatory (Six Pack, 1982)
Out of all the Jack Burton quotes this is what you pick!? Are you crazy? Is that your problem? ?

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
Some of my favorite Chesterton quotes.

"Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions." 1930

“We have had no good comic operas of late, because the real world has been more comic than any possible opera.” 1931

“My attitude toward progress has passed from antagonism to boredom. I have long ceased to argue with people who prefer Thursday to Wednesday because it is Thursday.” 1923

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
“The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater.” -- Frank Zappa

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
“The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater.” -- Frank Zappa
Nailed it

Reactions: brian64 and Zero