Tobacco Drovers. New to Me, I Learn Something Everyday.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
The other day I was going through some books that have been sitting on shelves for years. Basically cleaning house and boxing up some books to donate. I came across Eric Sloane's America which I forgot I had. It's a keeper, it's staying on the shelf.

In the "Great-grandfather's Occupations" chapter he describes the occupation of Drovers. Here is what he wrote about Tobacco Drovers.

1638714380620.png
1638714457380.png

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
The other day I was going through some books that have been sitting on shelves for years. Basically cleaning house and boxing up some books to donate. I came across Eric Sloane's America which I forgot I had. It's a keeper, it's staying on the shelf.

In the "Great-grandfather's Occupations" chapter he describes the occupation of Drovers. Here is what he wrote about Tobacco Drovers.

View attachment 112844
View attachment 112846
Eric Sloane is one of my favorite all time people. I have most of his published books and have several of his prints on our walls. When it comes to history or Americana, he is the man to go to. My Dad used to love reading his books, so I guess Eric Sloane connects me to my father.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Eric Sloane is one of my favorite all time people. I have most of his published books and have several of his prints on our walls. When it comes to history or Americana, he is the man to go to. My Dad used to love reading his books, so I guess Eric Sloane connects me to my father.
I have a couple of his books. They're really interesting and I like that he draws his own illustrations. That's some real talent.

Thanks. Well, then, begs the question: does "hogges hede" have anything to do with hogs?

It occurred to me that maybe the 54-63 gallons weighs as much as some hogs. (?)
No, the etymology has nothing to do with pigs.
32AA6810-4D6D-49F5-8B04-D8B9B8F5941C.jpeg
I picked this up when I learned that hogshead cheese had nothing to do with an actual pig.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
My grandmother Myrtle Cahow was born in 1897, the daughter of a successful owner of a drayage business, what would be a trucking company today, only he used horses and mules instead of diesels.

My Great Grandfather Cahow became well to do, and one of his biggest jobs was hauling stone to build Ha Ha Tonka.

His downfall came about, because of his oldest son John.

The old man also had a contract to haul the mail, and was hauling a large gold shipment across a ford on the Pomme De Terre River when his son John in disguise held him up, at gun point. Being a devout Campbellite he refused to swear an oath against his son, sold his drayage business to make good the loss, and retired to his farm. John went on to live as a bootlegger, then a keeper of brothels and gambling dens, and eventually controlled the liquor licenses in the county after Prohibition was repealed.

My grandmother said he was gifted by the angels of the most handsome face and silver tongue any man could wish for, but he was too lazy to drive horses and mules, himself.

According to her, in the year 1952 his most faithful paramour grew tired of his wickedness, and rammed a broomstick up his rear end as he lay passed out on the bed.

Knowing he’d be scandalized by such a thing, he persuaded his lover to drive him in the back seat of his new Cadillac to the Veteran’s Hospital 150 miles away in Kansas City, where the broomstick was removed and it was thought he’d recover, although he died suddenly on the third day. His trip back to Wheatland was in the undertaker’s new Cadillac hearse.

Grandma said he only did two honorable things in his life, his military service and not telling on his girlfriend for ramming the fatal broomstick up his rear.

Grandma was Hickory County’s most famous author, and a magnificent story teller, and all these things happened before I was born, so I can’t vouch for their veracity.

But when I turned 16 in 1974 I never missed a chance to chauffeur her around to have her tell me stories like that, and she always told the Uncle John story the same, adding more scandalous details from time to time about his misspent life.

And as far as I can check the stories out, they could be true, and damned well should be, if they were somewhat exaggerated.

My grandmother Myrtle Cahow was born in 1897, the daughter of a successful owner of a drayage business, what would be a trucking company today, only he used horses and mules instead of diesels.

My Great Grandfather Cahow became well to do, and one of his biggest jobs was hauling stone to build Ha Ha Tonka.

His downfall came about, because of his oldest son John.

The old man also had a contract to haul the mail, and was hauling a large gold shipment across a ford on the Pomme De Terre River when his son John in disguise held him up, at gun point. Being a devout Campbellite he refused to swear an oath against his son, sold his drayage business to make good the loss, and retired to his farm. John went on to live as a bootlegger, then a keeper of brothels and gambling dens, and eventually controlled the liquor licenses in the county after Prohibition was repealed.

My grandmother said he was gifted by the angels of the most handsome face and silver tongue any man could wish for, but he was too lazy to drive horses and mules, himself.

According to her, in the year 1952 his most faithful paramour grew tired of his wickedness, and rammed a broomstick up his rear end as he lay passed out on the bed.

Knowing he’d be scandalized by such a thing, he persuaded his lover to drive him in the back seat of his new Cadillac to the Veteran’s Hospital 150 miles away in Kansas City, where the broomstick was removed and it was thought he’d recover, although he died suddenly on the third day. His trip back to Wheatland was in the undertaker’s new Cadillac hearse.

Grandma said he only did two honorable things in his life, his military service and not telling on his girlfriend for ramming the fatal broomstick up his rear.

Grandma was Hickory County’s most famous author, and a magnificent story teller, and all these things happened before I was born, so I can’t vouch for their veracity.

But when I turned 16 in 1974 I never missed a chance to chauffeur her around to have her tell me stories like that, and she always told the Uncle John story the same, adding more scandalous details from time to time about his misspent life.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
My first wife threw an old, wrought iron carpet sweeper at me.
I dodged it, and it split the door in two.
Glad I wasn't tying my shoelaces at the time !
One of the fantastic things about our Grandmother’s stories is, when my cousins and I try checking them out, they often are actually more outrageous than she told them.

For example, she told us grandchildren that her father, Milo Cahow (of which we have lots of photos) was in a cavalry unit at Sayler’s Creek in 1865, when he was 15.

Yes, he was there, but he was not yet 12 years old. His 45 year old buddy Hewitt married a West Virginia girl, who had a daughter in 1877, that our great grandfather Milo Cahow moved to Missouri and married when he was 40 and she was 15.

And to top that, Milo Cahow’s father lived at least to the age of 106 (his death certificate says 113) and had at least three wives, the last one over 50 years younger than he was.

They were all drovers.

Some call them muleskinners.

The men that hauled those big hogsheads of tobacco, were sorta tough, you know?

And even as an old lady, our grandmother could make a blacksnake whip crack as she’d tell us grandkids stories about driving mules, hauling rocks to Ha Ha Tonka.

MULESKINNER BLUES

Those loads, didn’t drive themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: Morrison Jeremiah

forloveoffreedom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2013
Sloane’s work looks great. Could you recommend a couple of good first titles, this would be great for my father in law.
Fun thread!

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
Sloane’s work looks great. Could you recommend a couple of good first titles, this would be great for my father in law.
Fun thread!
My favorite of Eric Sloane books is Diary of an Early American Boy. Anything by him is absolutely great reading. Others worth noting are A Reverence For Wood, Once Upon A Time, American Yesterday and Our Vanishing Landscape. He has many others and are all wonderful. I praise him because his writing and art was such a part of my childhood. I never met him, but I felt I knew him from his books. When he died in 1985 it was if I had lost part of my youth. Sounds silly, I know.

forloveoffreedom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2013
My favorite of Eric Sloane books is Diary of an Early American Boy. Anything by him is absolutely great reading. Others worth noting are A Reverence For Wood, Once Upon A Time, American Yesterday and Our Vanishing Landscape. He has many others and are all wonderful. I praise him because his writing and art was such a part of my childhood. I never met him, but I felt I knew him from his books. When he died in 1985 it was if I had lost part of my youth. Sounds silly, I know.
Excellent, thank you!A3156FCD-50C5-4DBC-832E-4F1EC2E869B6.jpeg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Fun thread!
Eric Sloan's America is three books in one.
American Barns and Covered Bridges (1954)
Vanishing Landscape (1955)
American Yesterday (1956)
are all in America. Almost 350 pages of interesting reading and illustrations.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I also have Diary of an Early American Boy. I love the first two illustrations of the farm. I also have an Eric Sloan book that's all about early American tools. These are books that I enjoy flipping through every time I pick one up.