PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

T-townrestore

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 10, 2021
Tacoma
I alway loved the 81 shape this one just says DR. GRABOW no name and no spade ♠️. If it’s my understanding that means it was a sub par pipe, but it sure cleaned up and restained beautifully.

Attachments

• C1F25345-C3A1-434C-B54D-A9F06964849F.png
    C1F25345-C3A1-434C-B54D-A9F06964849F.png
    423.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 0D81B07B-4032-4BE5-B80F-9BF27A4607C2.jpeg
    0D81B07B-4032-4BE5-B80F-9BF27A4607C2.jpeg
    226.1 KB · Views: 14

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the lack of customer service reflects the limited number of employees. There are special edition pipes, I've heard, that don't get marketed at all, but are sold to the people who know to ask. I think pipe shops and online retailers would carry them if they had more of a marketing program, but I think they have balanced demand with production, so they don't push it too hard. IMHO the new pipes are solid and good smokers.

T-townrestore

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 10, 2021
Tacoma
I think the lack of customer service reflects the limited number of employees. There are special edition pipes, I've heard, that don't get marketed at all, but are sold to the people who know to ask. I think pipe shops and online retailers would carry them if they had more of a marketing program, but I think they have balanced demand with production, so they don't push it too hard. IMHO the new pipes are solid and good smokers.
Yeah I’ve called a couple times to try to get a new stem for a golden duke. They never get back to me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
About three years ago, the Dr. Grabow factory in Sparta, N.C., took some earthquake damage that knocked around some of the machinery in the work area. They seemed to rebound pretty well, and I haven't noticed any lack of inventory.

Reactions: theloniousmonkfish

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Yeah I’ve called a couple times to try to get a new stem for a golden duke. They never get back to me.
Dr.Grabow / International Pipes & Accessories
PO Box 849
Sparta, North Carolina 28675

336-372-5521 - info@drgrabow.net

You call this number? Try emailing, it's just Debbie there, might have better luck that way. Specify if you want Vulcanite as they might still have some old stock on hand that fits, they use ABS plastic but can accommodate Vulcanite on some pieces. Last I remember it was $10 per stem and $3 return postage, doubt it's gone up much if at all. If you still have trouble getting through I have another email address for them that will not be posted publicly.

MSO, Grabow doesn't advertise as they sell their own pieces for the same or less than retailers carrying them. Get on the email list for limited editions, or email them for a forum to order direct.

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
I think pipe shops and online retailers would carry them if they had more of a marketing program.
A lot of people would be surprised to learn how many Sparta produced pipes they have. Plenty of Grabows out there and most under the radar as they were sold under many different names. Made for shops, coupon offers, etc...

Reactions: yohanan

Dave4211

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2020
Tennessee
Should have said New To Me! Love this shape - wonderful smokers.
Anyone else here fans of Dr. Grabow Pipes?

View attachment 31690
I'm a huge fan of the old ones. I have two of them with vulcanite adjustomatic stems.

The abs stems on the new ones have given me problems in the past, but I'm pretty hard on my pipes.

The old ones are built tough, and I traveled hard with one of them for a long time. I'm smoking it today, in fact. One of the best pipes I've ever owned. It was $5 at a flea market. I found it in the bottom of a toolbox full of old, rIMG_20210917_180529333.jpgusty tools.

Reactions: Puff nstuff

Dave4211

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2020
Tennessee
I bought one new, that was no good. Then I bought 3 more older ones that I smoke every week. The first one was a Royal Duke with a leaking stem. I tried a few things to fix it, none of which worked. I emailed Dr. Grabow and explained the problem. I got no response. That leaves a bad taste and I won't be buying any more new ones. I do really enjoy the old ones I have, though.
The new abs stems leak and crack. I wouldn't trust one on the road away from home.

The old vulcanite stems are built like tanks, in my experience.

I believe all the new production with abs stem and metal tenon is 100% defective.

I used to own around 30 of them.

If they work for some people, I'm glad, but I did not find them to be serviceable.

anantaandroscoggin

Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
They're just not set up for online ordering, despite having a website. They only accept money orders or paper checks, having not yet abandoned the 1950's mail-order business model.

Love their pipes, though. I have two of their Excel pipes, and two of their Eagle '69 pipes (those both 1-year-only special-offer models of recent years), in addition to a collection of many variations of their Freehand offerings over the years.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
I have their bent-stem Omega model, with the military-style bit which I enjoy very much. It's smaller than my Peterson of similar shape/style; but, it is feather-light in terms of weight, and, has the Dr Grabow version of a Peterson-inspired P-lip on the end of the mouth-piece, which makes the pipe a champion 'hanger' - very, very comfortable. Great travel pipe, too. - Sherm Natman

Reactions: Dave4211