PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
That fact that these artists used their art to engage in social commentary is not what makes their art good. If relevant social commentary is the measure of good art, then anyone who spray paints a political slogan on a wall is a fine artist.
Try looking at things in a less absolutist way, black or white, all or nothing at all.

To many people this is what makes their art great and what moves it above and beyond the merely decorative. Is social commentary the thing that defines a great work of art? Of course not, but it is A thing that can define a great work of art. Great art and social commentary are not, and have never been, demonstrably exclusive of each other.

An important message delivered through a poorly-executed medium is the equivalent of a piece of graffiti.

And a lot of people love grafitti art. The medium is the message here, representing the life experiences of a significant percentage of the population who are not willing to be cancelled.

then anyone who spray paints a political slogan on a wall is a fine artist.
Well, if you're stuck in "all or nothing at all" land, this is the issue you face. Some graffiti is just defacement and vandalism, gangstas marking territory or making an attempt to say "I exist" to a world that doesn't see them. And SOME are artists using this form of expression to make art that contains social expression that is hugely meaningful to many people.

The beauty of absolutism is that it makes the world small enough.

But even dogs playing poker and clowns on black velvet wouldn't make the cut.

Last edited:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
View attachment 97084
My favorite art museum to have a drink. Martini bar…. Seriously…
I like tiki. One place I loved to eat at was a place in Glendale called Damons, which was pure south seas and tiki. The food was so so, the salads tasted like they have been canned in 1952. But, the drinks were rocket fuel.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
My wife and I love a good martini bar. We should start a thread on those. Great places to smoke a pipe.

@lawdawg
I just let Mrs Cosmic read through the thread. She is actually a very good stand up comedian, and has a sharp mind. Some of her thoughts...

So, if allowing bad art, banana art, or this weird way of defining post modernism is going to unravel the threads of society...
Then allowing guys to smoke cheap ass corncobs is going to unravel the pipemaking industry, pipesmoking as we know it will just come apart. ,
If allowing aromatics that have no tobacco taste is going to be tolerated, then we are doomed. Are we going to just let them discuss this stuff out in the open, like it's not dangerous?

No, of course not, because there is enough room to allow people to enjoy different things. In fact, the aromatic smokers generate enough money moving around to keep the industry going, just like commercial support of these banana arts benefits other artists to use the spaces that also market landscapers and portraiturists.

If people wearing pajamas to Walmart, which I would argue has never been against the law, and is seen as just as horrible by people today as always (that's why there is a website making fun of people doing this) then...

...letting people show up in court, work, or at restaurants not wearing ties and nice shoes is unravelling our society. Guys wearing tshirts and bluejean cut offs is unravelling society's norms to the point of destruction. But yet, when I start a thread on ties or watches, so many men will bawk at style or fashion in any way. Is this just as bad for society? Is it our doom?

Of course not. The Teddy boys of the 50's was supposed to be our doom. Flappers of the 20's were supposed to have been our doom. Jazz was supposed to have been our doom. Going back to Pliny the Elder eons ago, the youth were supposed to have been our doom. How many thousands of years does this doom take?

Thanks Mrs. Cosmic.
In a word, yes. All of the people who argued that the various trends you mentioned were moving society gradually into decline were correct. It’s just a matter of incremental change, so it’s easy to say “oh don’t be a curmudgeon, it’s no big deal.” Perhaps these things were a symptom rather than a cause, but the correlation is there.

I’m sure critics of flappers in the Jazz age thought “if the kids keep this up, soon women will be running around half naked, and all the young people will be having children out of wedlock!” The counterpoint might be “oh it’s just short hair and a bit of dancing, the kids are just having fun! It’s not going to harm anything.” Yet, which prediction turned out to be most accurate?

Pliny the Elder was right. At some point, Rome stopped being Rome, although nobody who was there at the time would have been able to acknowledge it. All they could do is observe the gradual decline.

Regarding pajamas in public, if you look at photos from the Great Depression, the men in the bread lines were wearing jackets and ties. Granted, their clothing was worn and patched, but they made some effort at maintaining a sense of dignity. On the issue of dignity, and my penchant for corncob pipes :)ROFLMAO:), the distinction is that unlike crappy banana art, nobody holds cobs out as the premier essence of pipe smoking. Corncobs are like pajamas - cheap and undignified yet very comfortable, and best suited to the privacy of your (really, my) own homepuffy

Ultimately, at some point, all civilizations lose steam and then decline. Maybe the things I’m complaining of are more the symptom than cause, and perhaps are simply unavoidable, but I dislike them all the same because I dislike what they represent. Oswald Spengler wrote far more eloquently about it than I ever could, and there was another once-prominent historian, Toynbee as I recall, who further developed those ideas. However, this Spenglerian cyclical theory of civilizations that ebb and flow in a consistent and predictable manner has over the past decades given way to a “directional” view of history which is ultimately rooted in the Marxist theory of historical materialism, which is the frame of reference when someone talks about being “on the right side of history.” Again I digress into the margins of the political, but suffice it to say that the postmodern stuff is no random development, and it has everything to do with how the thought leaders of our society shape our collective perspective of ourselves and the world and our place in it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Although it has become its own academic niche, the "outsider art" movement has unearthed a lot of stimulating and thought provoking work that would have been passed off as folk craft in earlier decades. Grandma Moses in the nineteen-fifties was an early example, but the genre has expanded enormously and covers a wide swathe of art, and has affected the way "trained" artists perceive and create their work too. Cave art from archeological times is a reminder how innate art is to human beings, and it's full of content and energy.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Try looking at things in a less absolutist way, black or white, all or nothing at all.

To many people this is what makes their art great and what moves it above and beyond the merely decorative. Is social commentary the thing that defines a great work of art? Of course not, but it is A thing that can define a great work of art. Great art and social commentary are not, and have never been, demonstrably exclusive of each other.

And a lot of people love grafitti art. The medium is the message here, representing the life experiences of a significant percentage of the population who are not willing to be cancelled.

Well, if you're stuck in "all or nothing at all" land, this is the issue you face. Some graffiti is just defacement and vandalism, gangstas marking territory or making an attempt to say "I exist" to a world that doesn't see them. And SOME are artists using this form of expression to make art that contains social expression that is hugely meaningful to many people.

The beauty of absolutism is that it makes the world small enough.

But even dogs playing poker and clowns on black velvet wouldn't make the cut.

I agree with most everything here, especially that art and social commentary are by no means mutually exclusive. My point about political slogan graffiti was just to take the distinction between art and social commentary to its most extreme. You mentioned in your earlier comment that the “new” perspective on art is that the message is more important than the medium. I was attempting to demonstrate the flaws within that perspective.

You jab at my conservative taste with the poker-playing dogs thing, yet while I’m over here appreciating Impressionism, you’re defending graffiti puffy

Sure, graffiti can be art, like a corncob can be a pipe, but Banksy can’t be Monet. I think we should not conflate timely social commentary with skill in execution of the medium. I hope we can all agree that those are two distinct things, even if some of us hold one in higher regard than the other.

I agree with most everything here, especially that art and social commentary are by no means mutually exclusive. My point about political slogan graffiti was just to take the distinction between art and social commentary to its most extreme. You mentioned in your earlier comment that the “new” perspective on art is that the message is more important than the medium. I was attempting to demonstrate the flaws within that perspective.

You jab at my conservative taste with the poker-playing dogs thing, yet while I’m over here appreciating Impressionism, you’re defending graffiti puffy

Sure, graffiti can be art, like a corncob can be a pipe, but Banksy can’t be Monet. I think we should not conflate timely social commentary with skill in execution of the medium. I hope we can all agree that those are two distinct things, even if some of us hold one in higher regard than the other.
The first “impressionist” painting that opened the door for Monet, Renoir, and even Van Gogh, was Manet’s work. It was a soici-political commentary. “Luncheon on the Grass” it was highly controversial and it is worth reading more about this work. At the time Art and the art market was highly controlled by Salons, a group of stuffy old men who considered themself, the authority. Keep in mind that up till this era, The Church and Royalty controlled the arts. An artist was patronized and fed for their work. They never had to sell things to make a living. Well, the Protestant movement, democracy, and the invention of the camera, freed artists up and set their starving asses out on the streets to struggle to get invites to a Salon showing. So, this particular year, there were so many artists, that the Salom just let the artists have a huge show. So, Manet got in.
This work went unnoticed till the show. When men recognized who was in this work, whispers about the politicians and this well known local prostitute was whispered all over Paris. The men of the Salon put down the painting, saying, it’s not even good…. It is merely an “impression” of a painting. (to paraphrase).
Thus, art and artists were free of the Salon, free of realism (the camera took most of the portraiture biz), and industrialization made it so that artists could for the first time ever, buy tubes of paint, carry lightweight prestretched canvases, onto a train, paint in a neighboring country for a day, capturing abstract light in the landscape and ride the train back home.

When you see a Monet, think about how politics, industry, technology, and even society all made that possible by advancing.

All progress in art is possible because of the progress in society. Even the stupid banana.

The first Impressionist Work..
69BEE810-5995-4A6A-B39D-F2D23FD424AA.jpeg

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I like tiki. One place I loved to eat at was a place in Glendale called Damons, which was pure south seas and tiki. The food was so so, the salads tasted like they have been canned in 1952. But, the drinks were rocket fuel.
That was a seriously great place. Another off the wall place was Bahooka, I am sure that you recall that place as well.

telescopes

Palm Springs now sports four tiki bars: Some with cool velvet paintings worthy of the genre. They are, The Reef Bar, Tonga Hut, Bootlegger Tiki (the best for drinks) and Toucans - but really tiki in name only. I hope you get out here and can enjoy them some time. The first three of some cool art work from the time period I am positive you would appreciate. I am always up for a drink if you make it out this way.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

telescopes

In a word, yes. All of the people who argued that the various trends you mentioned were moving society gradually into decline were correct. It’s just a matter of incremental change, so it’s easy to say “oh don’t be a curmudgeon, it’s no big deal.” Perhaps these things were a symptom rather than a cause, but the correlation is there.

I’m sure critics of flappers in the Jazz age thought “if the kids keep this up, soon women will be running around half naked, and all the young people will be having children out of wedlock!” The counterpoint might be “oh it’s just short hair and a bit of dancing, the kids are just having fun! It’s not going to harm anything.” Yet, which prediction turned out to be most accurate?

Pliny the Elder was right. At some point, Rome stopped being Rome, although nobody who was there at the time would have been able to acknowledge it. All they could do is observe the gradual decline.

Regarding pajamas in public, if you look at photos from the Great Depression, the men in the bread lines were wearing jackets and ties. Granted, their clothing was worn and patched, but they made some effort at maintaining a sense of dignity. On the issue of dignity, and my penchant for corncob pipes :)ROFLMAO:), the distinction is that unlike crappy banana art, nobody holds cobs out as the premier essence of pipe smoking. Corncobs are like pajamas - cheap and undignified yet very comfortable, and best suited to the privacy of your (really, my) own homepuffy

Ultimately, at some point, all civilizations lose steam and then decline. Maybe the things I’m complaining of are more the symptom than cause, and perhaps are simply unavoidable, but I dislike them all the same because I dislike what they represent. Oswald Spengler wrote far more eloquently about it than I ever could, and there was another once-prominent historian, Toynbee as I recall, who further developed those ideas. However, this Spenglerian cyclical theory of civilizations that ebb and flow in a consistent and predictable manner has over the past decades given way to a “directional” view of history which is ultimately rooted in the Marxist theory of historical materialism, which is the frame of reference when someone talks about being “on the right side of history.” Again I digress into the margins of the political, but suffice it to say that the postmodern stuff is no random development, and it has everything to do with how the thought leaders of our society shape our collective perspective of ourselves and the world and our place in it.
Well, as @cosmicfolklore will concur, the men and women of the antebellum period of the South were very well dressed. Very moral and ethical about one's word and reputation - and a handshake meant something. Just long as you didn't look out back. Our founding fathers paid a lot of attention to their clothes and guaranteed the rights of property owners, so long as the ownership of the property didn't predate their arrival.

What I am getting at is that judging a society on its outward appearances, even for me, and I am fairly shallow, is .... are am I missing the point.

Reactions: workman
When you come to Birmingham, from anywhere in the city, you can see this towering statue of Vulcan. It symbolizes our city’s iron working past. And, it sets on Red Mountain. To visit it, you have to go into one of the wealthiest parts of the area. But, from anywhere in that wealthier area , when you look up at Vulcan, you can only see his bare ass.

It’s the local joke.
8D8B9893-5CE6-4A88-A848-25A8A5877B98.png

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
EB631A8F-8BD3-4F5C-8F02-DCC40B514B76.jpeg
Always loved flowers, took kids on Sundays to art galleries, retired and would glean the art houses on computer, a Gallery in Ft Worth sent me a picture, quick sale heirs getting rid of possessions, bought it for 2000$, worth over 12,000$, not for sale, it’s on my wall in bedroom, first thing I see when I get up in the morning, AD GREER, Artist, Boxer, Sign painter, will Rogers has a painting, Lindbergh, and President Johnson. And T-Brad from Meaux La.

telescopes

When you come to Birmingham, from anywhere in the city, you can see this towering statue of Vulcan. It symbolizes our city’s iron working past. And, it sets on Red Mountain. To visit it, you have to go into one of the wealthiest parts of the area. But, from anywhere in that wealthier area , when you look up at Vulcan, you can only see his bare ass.

It’s the local joke.
View attachment 97123
Is that a roll of toilet paper he is reaching for?