PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Just finishing up a bowl of Sobrani, while doing some trimming/wire removal on one of my bonsai projects. Curious if anyone else is into this stuff, or if it's just me. Juniper purchased from Home Depot last year as a landscape shrub, and my first attempt at creating a cascade style bonsai from scratch. All the branches seem to have held their shape well after the wire came off, a task that proved much more challenging than I anticipated when I put it on there. I will definitely be using a different approach next time,lol. Either way I am pleased with the progress so far. Enjoy the pic, and maybe a good smoke on this beautiful afternoon. View attachment 95227
Nice looking tree! I like the planter a lot too.
Here is a juniper that was wired up pretty heavily- I took it out of its winter slumber too soon this year and killed it. A71132EC-BE31-4788-A6C8-FFAA8D6ED75C.jpegAnd here is a Ficus that is badly in need of a trim
2FF703F8-2F9C-4640-A52D-4DB94B2D1ADF.jpeg

Reactions: autumnfog and Ethan

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
Nice looking tree! I like the planter a lot too.
Here is a juniper that was wired up pretty heavily- I took it out of its winter slumber too soon this year and killed it. View attachment 95258And here is a Ficus that is badly in need of a trim
View attachment 95259
Too bad about the juniper, ficus will tolerate some fairly aggressive pruning. Trunk has very interesting shape.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Too bad about the juniper, ficus will tolerate some fairly aggressive pruning. Trunk has very interesting shape.
Yeah,
You can’t tell from the pic but the juniper had a really cool spiral movement thing going with pads at different elevations. I left the carcass in the pot all summer as a reminder to myself to be more patient

Reactions: Ethan

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I’ve been lucky enough to visit some nice bonsai exhibits. Truly impressive and beautiful! The multi-generational aspect of bonsai is a very cool part of it... being a caretaker of a tree much older than yourself is a particularly tangible connection to the past.

I’ve managed to pretty well taking care of house plants, but don’t think I would have the patience or consistency for bonsai. Props to those who have made the effort and given it a shot puffy

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
@LotusEater , you mentioned bringing your juniper out too early being the cause of it's demise. This is my winter set up, outdoors, and shielded from the wind but that is all. Worked well for me. View attachment 95281
I had mine in an unheated garage for the winter and the early spring temps fluctuated a lot before I put it outside. Lack of water followed by hot /cold temps did it in. In future my junipers will winter outdoors.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Almost a 3rd page on Bonzai trees!

I’m picturing a room full of elbow patch, tweed jacket wearing professors….

I know I’m wrong…. Here come the pics to prove it.