PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Which blend do you prefer?

• Total voters

Tommy Boy

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
As the title says which blend do you favor of the 3 and why? I have been smoking these 3 blends for a few weeks now exclusively. One tin is gone, 1 is almost gone and 1 is in a distant 3rd place. For me the sweet, Tangy and rum combination is spot on. The regular Mississippi river is a very close 2nd. The reserve seems to lack the sweet and tangy combo almost completely and has a more pronounced latikia smell and taste. Seems almost like a completely different blend to me. I generally avoid most blends with a noticeable latikia smell, so the special reserve will be a pass for me in the future.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I like these tobaccos. They are a change of pace in my smoking routine. Maybe in a few years I will end up smoking what I least imagined. I really do not know. However in cigars, my tastes have not changed. I like the real taste of tobacco............? Really real

Reactions: Tommy Boy

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
I gave my nod to the original since it is the only one I have tried. I started smoking a pipe in the early 2010’s when this blend was all the rage. It was also available in bulk during that time. However, several years back I remember some rumblings about it not tasting the same anymore. I cannot attest to this because I had moved away from Latakia prior to the supposed change.

Jun 23, 2019
As the title says which blend do you favor of the 3 and why? I have been smoking these 3 blends for a few weeks now exclusively. One tin is gone, 1 is almost gone and 1 is in a distant 3rd place. For me the sweet, Tangy and rum combination is spot on. The regular Mississippi river is a very close 2nd. The reserve seems to lack the sweet and tangy combo almost completely and has a more pronounced latikia smell and taste. Seems almost like a completely different blend to me. I generally avoid most blends with a noticeable latikia smell, so the special reserve will be a pass for me in the future.

Prefer the alcohol topped ones with SPC (this and Plum Pudding Bourbon), only because the regular and the "reserve" both vaguely remind me of the Frog without actually tasting like it - call it the Uncanny Valley if you will.

Tommy Boy

Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
Hard for me to believe there is so little love out there for Seattle pipe club blends. I know some of you guys smoke them be because you post it in the what are you smoking threads.

Reactions: JOHN72

Kal

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2021
Misplaced Texan, in Ohio
I can't yote, due to never trying any from the company. It's nothing against Seattle pipe club, but the price keeps me away.
It's the same as plum pudding, I hear it's everything I'm looking for. But realistically I couldn't add it to my every day smoke.

Only that reason none of above. ?

Reactions: JOHN72

Tommy Boy

Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
I was starting to wonder if i missed something like Joe Lankford was a flat earther or came out in support of kicking puppies or something. Its hard to keep track of ALL the stupid stuff going on now a days.The few blends I have sampled have been good.

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
I can't yote, due to never trying any from the company. It's nothing against Seattle pipe club, but the price keeps me away.
It's the same as plum pudding, I hear it's everything I'm looking for. But realistically I couldn't add it to my every day smoke.

Message me your address, I'll send you some plum pudding.

Reactions: Kal

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina

I have several tins of SR from years past—went to look at restocking the cellar and was astounded at the current price. Too many good and reasonably priced blends available.

Reactions: Kal

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I gave my nod to the original since it is the only one I have tried. I started smoking a pipe in the early 2010’s when this blend was all the rage. It was also available in bulk during that time. However, several years back I remember some rumblings about it not tasting the same anymore. I cannot attest to this because I had moved away from Latakia prior to the supposed change.
nothing tastes the same as it used to.

Reactions: Jwebb90

badbriar

Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
I quite ike the original Missippi River - light on the Latakia and big on the Virginias. The Va's & Perique come through on every sip as a light tangy-sour note in the background, but definitely noticeable. Slight sweetness to start, then the tang come in with an overall light smokiness. This one surprised me, as I mostly prefer big & bold English tobaccos. MR is an excellent blend. Goes great with a coffee stout or Porter!

Reactions: Tommy Boy